Sponsored by:

Aerokit Spoiler Lip

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerokit Spoiler Lip

I have a 997.1 with the aerokit bumper. As we all know, the spoiler lip gets chewed up within days of installation. I was just admiring my neighbor's Aston, which has similar ground clearance and a carbon fiber front spoiler lip, and I got to wondering if there was anything similar for the 997 aerokit and whether that would be more effective in preventing scratches (or if the added firmness would lead to more damage to the actual bumper).

Any thoughts on the subject? How about wrappnig the OEM spoiler in carbon fiber film to at least create a more aesthetically pleasing surface when scratched up?

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Price point on the Porsche replacement is about $300, once a year or so. What is the price and frequency on the carbon fiber for your friend's?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is Carbon .. but I think Carbon is as much if not more subject to scratch and or damage.. I think the over all trick is to be uber careful ..especially if you lower to EU standards (20mm) ..

Matt

Last edited by mzn50; 02-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

That looks great. Do you mind if I ask where you got it?

Thanks for the very helpful input. I've just come to the reailzation that I cannot be careful enough, so I'm going to have a chewed up spoiler lip. So be it. A few (barely visible) scratches look good on a Porsche - like ripped jeans. A 997 is meant to be driven hard, not sitting in a museum, right?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well yes and no.. I also have a rear diffuser..out of carbon and when I hear it scrap .. I cringe.. they are not very resilient.. but look awesome.. I slow down over bumps and driveways

its a Werks 1 Carbon front chin spoiler.. looks great
if you click at bottom of my signature (link to Piccs) I have some other shots including the rear diffuser..

thanks..Matt

Originally Posted by Neotorque
That looks great. Do you mind if I ask where you got it?

Thanks for the very helpful input. I've just come to the reailzation that I cannot be careful enough, so I'm going to have a chewed up spoiler lip. So be it. A few (barely visible) scratches look good on a Porsche - like ripped jeans. A 997 is meant to be driven hard, not sitting in a museum, right?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't know about carbon fiber lips, but my compromise was to get the black plastic GT3 lower lip and store the painted part. Yeah, it still collects scuffs and nicks, but they're far less noticeable and when it gets bad enough I just buy a new piece and pop it on.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

FVD has the black plastic chin spoiler. I have messed up two of the factory ones.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

i have a gt3 which sits lower than the carrera with a painted lip. i run into no issues. i just use some common sense. it looks much better painted as well.

Quick Reply: Aerokit Spoiler Lip