Sponsored by:

997.1 Destined to fail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts
Default 997.1 Destined to fail?

Not so far anyway...I keep reading these posts about engine failure RMS, intermediate shaft failure etc. I have an 05 C2S which I bought new about 9-12 mths into the first model yr. Everyone says don't buy until the bugs are worked out. After a little less than 19K weekend, mountain road, fun though I'll admit not track use, the car has been basically trouble free-no leaks drips ooze and it burns virtually no oil. Should I be expecting something bad soon?? Is it just a matter of time??
Jim
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Make sure you drive with a flak jacket on at all times because when you 'shell' that engine it will destroy everything within a couple of meters of the engine....NOT!

They built THOUSANDS of these engines.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Make sure you drive with a flak jacket on at all times because when you 'shell' that engine it will destroy everything within a couple of meters of the engine....NOT!

They built THOUSANDS of these engines.
Agreed. I felt like i should say something, and to address the 'bugs being worked out' in the first model yrs. I think I have talked to you about this before Dan and you have a lot more miles on yours, though it is a yr newer than mine...
Jim
Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Not so far anyway...I keep reading these posts about engine failure RMS, intermediate shaft failure etc. I have an 05 C2S which I bought new about 9-12 mths into the first model yr. Everyone says don't buy until the bugs are worked out. After a little less than 19K weekend, mountain road, fun though I'll admit not track use, the car has been basically trouble free-no leaks drips ooze and it burns virtually no oil. Should I be expecting something bad soon?? Is it just a matter of time??
Jim

The engine will be trouble free as long as you follow the Maintenance schedule and you drive the vehicle. If the car has been trouble free why would you worry?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have original ims bearing I would install ln eng ceramic one. All the rest should be attended when needed - rms, aos, belt.
If car is driven regularly it will probably live long happy life. But to assume it as immortal would be wrong.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Bruizer
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You better sell it fast and cheap now!!! PM me w/ a price and I'll take it off your hands. :-)
Old 01-29-2012, 07:04 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I think you should be delighted that you can do something about your MY05 as opposed to "revised" MY06-08.
Just enjoy your ride and don't worry. When clutch is due then get LN Engineering bearing replaced. If you can's sleep at night then:
1. Buy extended warranties. $$$
2. Change RMS/IMS now from $1.2-$1.8
3. Pay extra $40k and get MY10 car
Just like my mechanic said: don't spend too much reading internet and just drive a machine!

----------------------
MY05 yes it is 05, C2S 6MT
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If you have original ims bearing I would install ln eng ceramic one. All the rest should be attended when needed - rms, aos, belt.
If car is driven regularly it will probably live long happy life. But to assume it as immortal would be wrong.
Should I prophylactically replace the IMS bearing? I have asked my independent P service guy who is really good and knowledgeable and he says no...
J
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05 C2S Launch car which means it was one of the first few hundred production units manufactured and sold in '04. It has 52K miles and it does not burn oil. The only major item replaced was the water pump, but that is a maintenance items anyway. So really, the car has needed nothing with the exception of the warrantied TSB related items (alternator cable, AC vents, exhaust tips, etc.). I use a reputable Porsche Indy for all my service and asked for their recommendation on the IMS. They said, just DRIVE it because the IMS is fine. When the clutch needs replacement, I may upgrade. The problem is that, my previous clutches have lasted to 190K miles.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

My MY05 (January build) currently has 38K on it. I got it 3 yrs ago with 20K. I've replaced the battery-starter cable and a broken shifter cable (both paid for by my extended warranty), 4 tires, front brakes and the clutch (half shot @ 30K, no doubt abused by the former owner). At that time I had the LN IMS bearing installed. Seeing now that they've had several of them fail, I'm not sure it was such a great idea, considering the mechanic showed me my OEM bearing was perfect @ 30K. But what's done is done, and I do have a bumper-to-bumper warranty for another 5 yrs/75K so I'm just driving the car and enjoying it. I also bought an '03 E-Class the first month the model hit these shores, and it's now got almost 80K and has been very reliable overall. The thing about European cars is they've usually been on the road over there 6 mos to a year (sometimes several, like the new Fiat 500 for example) by the time they come here, so the really early bugs tend to be worked out. So that addage about not buying a new model in the first year is more applicable to American cars. Then again, all my life experience has taught me it's never really safe to buy an American car
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
... At that time I had the LN IMS bearing installed. Seeing now that they've had several of them fail, I'm not sure it was such a great idea, considering the mechanic showed me my OEM bearing was perfect @ 30K. ...
Wait... you're saying several of the LN bearings have failed now? I have not heard of this. Do tell more.

Guess the guys who have done such a great job of informing us about IMS doom and gloom have not done such a great job spreading this news.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rollingart, I cannot quote a source, so that makes this reply worthless, but I read in one of the popular Porsche specific magazines within the last few months that there have been some LN IMS bearing failures. I seem to remember something about the "cage" being plastic on early ones (is that possible??) and that has been upgraded since. As I said, this is only hearsay and I cannot substantiate it, so take it for that (minimal at best) value.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

OP, what is your car, build date? If '05, or early '06, then *if you're too worried* (when you shouldn't be AT ALL), then replace IMS and be done with it. IF your car is late '06 and newer models, then you do have the newer IMS and you shouldn't worry at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

In LN's ad in Porsche Panorama, they acknowledge 3 failures with their bearings.

FWIW, (and I am new to Porsche and these boards, so take with a grain of salt), I understand that the cost of a blown engine runs ~$20,000. When I bought my 2005 C2 with 50,000 miles on it, I got offered a 4 year powertrain warranty (at my authorized dealer, through Fidelity) for about $2,000. (I ended up opting for the exclusionary Platinum warranty instead). Now, assuming that (1) the only thing that the powertrain warranty covered was the engine, and (2) that Fidelity was willing to operate at break even on the warranty, and (3) that Fidelity had no costs other than the cost of repairs, that would equate to a 10% chance of engine failure in the next four years. But, of course, none of those assumptions are remotely close to true. So, Fidelity, which respectfully, probably has far more accurate and complete data than LN or anyone else, has obviously pegged the risk of a catastrophic failure at something SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER than 10% for a 2005 C2 with 50,000 miles over the next four years. Really, to make the numbers work, it probably has to be below 1%.

I'm covered, so I guess it's their problem if they've calculated incorrectly, but insurance companies don't get as big as they are by making those sort of mistakes. I'm not terribly worried about it.

Last edited by Neotorque; 01-30-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Destined to fail?