Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLAT TIRE SCENARIO W/ CENTER LOCKING VS CONVENTIONAL WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by unclejosh
I also carry the collapsible breaker bar just in case, and own the torque wrench. Taking the wheels off and on is very straightforward. I had the mechanic at the dealer show me first. Once you see how it is done, the uncertainty disappears. Yesterday I had the two front wheels off, and I can share that this remains fairly simple once you know the procedure.

I really like my CLs: beautiful to look at and technically intertesting.
When I first heard about the CL's I thought they might be more trouble than they are worth. But finding out later that the right tools were available at a somewhat reasonable price to make DIY a possibility changed my mind. Like you, I think they're beautiful and technically interesting and would definitely choose them if they were a no-cost option as on the GTS.
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:13 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Default CLs are Cool

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When I first heard about the CL's I thought they might be more trouble than they are worth. But finding out later that the right tools were available at a somewhat reasonable price to make DIY a possibility changed my mind. Like you, I think they're beautiful and technically interesting and would definitely choose them if they were a no-cost option as on the GTS.
True, Mike.

The fear, uncertainty and doubt around CLs is undeserved IMHO.

I was chatting with my friend Tom and he commented that the Ducati 916 and later models with single sided swingarm actually has the same set-up. Tapered hub, wheel, and nut. The nut takes a big socket and a certain torque. Very trick still today and actually more simple in some ways.......

Enjoy drivin!

UJ
Old 04-09-2012 | 08:21 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

I got a flat right rear tire on my brand new GTS on the way home from the dealership after just taking delivery of the car. I hit I think a small piece of steel that cut the tire. The low pressure tire light started blinking and I just made it to the side of the road. Well after a call to the dealer which offered to send out a wrecker to pick up the car I decided to try the WHITE GOO.Well it worked and got me home about another 5 miles away. The entire rear end of my car was saturated with the goo that leaked out but the clean up went well. I jacked the car up and put it on blocks just in case the tire went flat for three days while I awaited a new one. The tire pressure held and I drove the car to the dealer to have the tire changed. I live in Seattle but sure hate to think about being out in the boonies with a problem. I plan to carry a torque converter just in case I need to remove a wheel.
Old 04-10-2012 | 09:08 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I got a flat right rear tire on my brand new GTS on the way home from the dealership after just taking delivery of the car. I hit I think a small piece of steel that cut the tire. The low pressure tire light started blinking and I just made it to the side of the road. Well after a call to the dealer which offered to send out a wrecker to pick up the car I decided to try the WHITE GOO.Well it worked and got me home about another 5 miles away. The entire rear end of my car was saturated with the goo that leaked out but the clean up went well. I jacked the car up and put it on blocks just in case the tire went flat for three days while I awaited a new one. The tire pressure held and I drove the car to the dealer to have the tire changed. I live in Seattle but sure hate to think about being out in the boonies with a problem. I plan to carry a torque converter just in case I need to remove a wheel.
You'll need more than a torque wrench (not converter). Check out the tips and tools link here:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ips-tools.html
Old 04-10-2012 | 10:11 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree completely. I have CL's on my 2012 GTS and I was concerned initially, but now don't give them a second thought except when I am admiring them. I have all my tire work done at the dealer since he meets or beats online tire dealer prices. If I have a flat out on the road, I will call roadside assistance, or use the goo. I don't have a spare so I am SOL whether I have CL's or regular wheels.

Quick Reply: FLAT TIRE SCENARIO W/ CENTER LOCKING VS CONVENTIONAL WHEELS