Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66,000 miles and rolling along...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Default 66,000 miles and rolling along...

Fellow Rennlisters--I dropped by my dealership today to have the service personnel zero out the bothersome notice of service-due thingy. I specifically elected NOT to replace my spark plugs at either 4 years, 6 years or even the 60,000 miles that the factory recommended. Steve, their master Porsche technician, concurred. (He basically stated that was a wise decision--don't mess with something that is working so well. If I start to get a misfire or a check engine light--then act).

These things are so well made, I'm convinced that this is a big problem for Porsche. It's hard to sell the 991 when the 997 is such a winner. While I love many of the styling elements of the 991, the 997S that I have, albeit so "under powered" with only 355 HP, will be a keeper for me.

Just a little bit of preventative maintenance and it lasts and lasts. The PCCBs have been a remarkable achievement for Porsche. Steve told me that he is routinely putting new pads AND rotors in Cayennes at 20,-25,000 miles (non-PCCB). My pads are down about 17% in 65,000 miles! The rotors look brand new.

To those of you considering the purchase of a used 997 with some miles on it--don't get too concerned. I think we're finding that the cars with miles on them are beyond the infant mortality issues, and the seals are staying pliable. The "hanger queens" are more susceptible to issues from a lack of use.

Call me a happy camper!

Token photo at 66,000 miles included:
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2012 | 09:51 PM
spourreza
Pro

Nice pic!
Old 01-26-2012 | 09:55 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Fellow Rennlisters--I dropped by my dealership today to have the service personnel zero out the bothersome notice of service-due thingy. I specifically elected NOT to replace my spark plugs at either 4 years, 6 years or even the 60,000 miles that the factory recommended. Steve, their master Porsche technician, concurred. (He basically stated that was a wise decision--don't mess with something that is working so well. If I start to get a misfire or a check engine light--then act).

These things are so well made, I'm convinced that this is a big problem for Porsche. It's hard to sell the 991 when the 997 is such a winner. While I love many of the styling elements of the 991, the 997S that I have, albeit so "under powered" with only 355 HP, will be a keeper for me.

Just a little bit of preventative maintenance and it lasts and lasts. The PCCBs have been a remarkable achievement for Porsche. Steve told me that he is routinely putting new pads AND rotors in Cayennes at 20,-25,000 miles (non-PCCB). My pads are down about 17% in 65,000 miles! The rotors look brand new.

To those of you considering the purchase of a used 997 with some miles on it--don't get too concerned. I think we're finding that the cars with miles on them are beyond the infant mortality issues, and the seals are staying pliable. The "hanger queens" are more susceptible to issues from a lack of use.

Call me a happy camper!

Token photo at 66,000 miles included:
Nice report back.

As an aside at what point does one replace a 997? You have decided no, others I guess will say they need something new, others will want a more powerful car. Horses for courses I guess?
Old 01-26-2012 | 10:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

That Blue Turquoise is a keeper!
Old 01-26-2012 | 10:24 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

I have the good fortune of seeing Dan (Edgy01) and his unique Carrera S quite often. We are in the same PCA region and attend many events together.

His car still looks as good as it did the day he took delivery of it in Germany. In fact, since he added the LED tails and front DRLs, it looks nicely updated.

As a guy who's only owned Black and/or Silver Porsches, I gotta say that Turquoise Blue looks great year-after-year. Who knew? Apparently, Dan knew.
Old 01-26-2012 | 11:09 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Dan,

Was tempted on a few occassions to PM you, asking if you thought about making a move toward a 991.

Purely selfish of course for fear of losing you to the 991 forum. Ok, I'm sucking up but Dan has answered many of my questions privately. Always good sound advice.

Good to hear you're holding on to the 06.
Old 01-26-2012 | 11:15 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

OK the weather is cooperating and your post just convinced me to get the car out of the garage and go for a drive. What do they say use it or lose it.
Old 01-26-2012 | 11:25 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

I'm just about to hit 60K and I have to concur. Though I think I will be replacing my sparkplugs soon, just because I should and it's not too expensive.

On another note, Dan I am officially calling you crazy for using a hardtop in the winter in Santa Barbara. Those glorious warm afternoons in SoCal in the winter are ideal top down weather. Geez I put my top down in Massachusetts a few weeks ago when it was 58 degrees outside. And it was awesome!
Old 01-27-2012 | 12:14 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The "hanger queens" are more susceptible to issues from a lack of use.
I'm certainly no expert and am not all that knowledgeable, but I agree that Dan's assessment above is most true for the M96/M97 equipped cars (verses prior generations). There are plenty of owners on these boards and other web boards with very high mileage M96/97 cars and only minor issues to report during the car's lifetime.

I know I've read somewhere that Porsche's engineers designed these cars to last about 180,000 miles before extensive work may be needed. I have to believe that the test mules for these water cooled Porsches probably were run almost continuously and for many miles and held up well enough to release to the public without excessive exposure to warranty claims.

I also fully understand the reasoning behind a garage queen (I have one myself), but most of these cars were made to be driven and driven regularily.

Dan, as always, a great pic to finish up your post with.
Old 01-27-2012 | 12:18 AM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

I'm not getting rid of mine either. I have averaged 1,333 per month since I bought the car.

Purchased with 26K in October 2010, now has 46K.

Old 01-27-2012 | 05:25 AM
boolala
Race Car

7 years and 71K on mine. Just basic maintanence. No out of warrantee issues. It continues to ride so well it has given me absolutely no reason to "upgrade."
Old 01-27-2012 | 06:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I confess, I took the hardtop off two days ago (after returning home to SB) and thoroughly enjoyed it with our 80ºF + weather the last couple of days. (WIth an electric hoist, it's an 8 minute job to take off the top, or put it on.)
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:16 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

DAn, how do you like those LED fog lights? Do they produce comparable amount of actual light as old fogs did?

regards, paul.
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:51 AM
buddy911t
Pro

I bought my 997 in November, the dealership has had it more than I have. There was a check engine light that they've been chasing. The motor is currently out of the car and their replacing valves, #6 misfire code.
I'm sereously thinking of telling them to keep it. This is an option that they're giving me, taking it back. Should I trust it after all this work? I love the car but it's not cpo.

Last edited by buddy911t; 01-27-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-27-2012 | 11:17 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

depends of a price and terms of remaining warranty. if car started acting up and you have no warranty to cover more work on the engine i would not keep it. engine repairs are very expensive on those cars.
if they would swap motor for new one then no doubt it would be better to keep the car. with 'repairs' you never know as it was some reason there for valves to go bad, they usualy are quite robust in those newer motors. are they replacing actual valves or valve lifters? you should decide based on your wallet, i would turn it back to dealer if they agree to such transaction. who was that dealer, btw? ira or herb?

Quick Reply: 66,000 miles and rolling along...