Sponsored by:

66,000 miles and rolling along...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I saw a '10 the other day at the dealer, almost the twin of my '05. It cost double what mine is worth, and will depreciate a lot more. Just doesn't make sense on a fear of some small percentage chance of a major failure.
Have you had to do any repairs to your '05? Do you have a warranty?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buddy911t
Have you had to do any repairs to your '05? Do you have a warranty?
I did the clutch at 30K miles, the pedal was stiff like a truck. Original owner must have rode it, slipped it and/or dumped it, because I've never had to replace a clutch on a car in my life even at 150K and up. At that time I had the LN IMS bearing installed. That, tires, and front brakes (rears are nearing the end) were on my dime.

I had some trim items replaced under CPO but no mechanical repairs to speak of. After the CPO ran out I had to have a battery-starter cable replaced ($950) and the shifter cable broke ($500). Both of those I consider minor repairs, but as you can see, not financially minor at all. They were both covered by my bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, which between those two repairs paid me back a third of it's cost in the first year, and it still has another 5 years to go.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM
buddy911t
Pro

It's good to hear you had no major mechanical problems.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree only in two areas
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Fellow Rennlisters--I dropped by my dealership today to have the service personnel zero out the bothersome notice of service-due thingy. I specifically elected NOT to replace my spark plugs at either 4 years, 6 years or even the 60,000 miles that the factory recommended. Steve, their master Porsche technician, concurred. (He basically stated that was a wise decision--don't mess with something that is working so well. If I start to get a misfire or a check engine light--then act).

These things are so well made, I'm convinced that this is a big problem for Porsche. It's hard to sell the 991 when the 997 is such a winner. While I love many of the styling elements of the 991, the 997S that I have, albeit so "under powered" with only 355 HP, will be a keeper for me.

Just a little bit of preventative maintenance and it lasts and lasts. The PCCBs have been a remarkable achievement for Porsche. Steve told me that he is routinely putting new pads AND rotors in Cayennes at 20,-25,000 miles (non-PCCB). My pads are down about 17% in 65,000 miles! The rotors look brand new.

To those of you considering the purchase of a used 997 with some miles on it--don't get too concerned. I think we're finding that the cars with miles on them are beyond the infant mortality issues, and the seals are staying pliable. The "hanger queens" are more susceptible to issues from a lack of use.

Call me a happy camper!

Token photo at 66,000 miles included:
My take on this is that the front and rear treatment on the .1 is more attractive than that of the .2 and the 991. And I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the horsepower increase. The only way you can make the car significantly quicker is to go for the pdk w the launch control that Automobile describes as being so violent that they can't see anyone using it. The virtues of three pedals (and a lovely handbrake) are not to be taken lightly for some of us so that is a non issue. My 06 is at 30k miles as it approaches it's 6th birthday. I am as smitten now as the day we left the lot. I can report though that a few months ago I had the plugs replaced and the motor seems smoother for it. Happy driving and obsolescense be damned
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I disagree only in two areas

My take on this is that the front and rear treatment on the .1 is more attractive than that of the .2 and the 991. And I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the horsepower increase.
I disagree that the rear treatment on the 991 is less attractive than the 997.1. It's different, but blends much better with the rear lines than the 997.2. The latter was a case of jumping the shark, change for the sake of change, a mixed-metaphor of styling cues which is typical of the Japanese but shockingly gauche for the Germans. The front treatments of all three versions are very similar and nothing terribly better or worse about one or the rest.

As to the horsepower, there are always those whose self-image as men hinges upon their car's horsepower and cost/newness. So expect the 991 to sell briskly. Which is a good thing, because the more of them they sell, the cheaper we'll buy them for in three or four years.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Were there any mechanical upgrades from the '05 to '06 Carrera?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

06 C2S Cab with 85k on the clock. Still running strong.

Quick Reply: 66,000 miles and rolling along...