Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
stand back its gonna blow!!!
Really? Thanks! Very helpful...
Old 12-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just being lighthearted here. Likely not a big deal at all. Have 2 cars with 9a1 engine and occasionally will get some ticking at cold startup. It goes away and I don't overthink it.

I will say however, if the video is a cold start and the oil is not warm then revving the engine up like that might not be the best idea.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik_jac
I'm reopening this thread again. I own a 997.2 C2S with 80000km which now is making a distinct tapping noise at cold start. Goes away after 5 minutes of driving but during the first 5 minutes you can hear it in the car while driving and engine braking, but now when accelerating. Also standing still and revving it only tapps when letting off the accelerator after you rev it. So not while revving up, only when revving down. And not on idle. The car has center muffler delete, serviced every 15000 km and running 0W-40 Mobil 1 oil, no engine mods. After the engine gets up to normal temp you can't hear the tapping while revving like in the movie below. So only when its cold.

It's currently at the local Porsche dealer and they say they can hear the tapping noise also at idle, must be with some instrument I guess or standing under the car while on the lift and idling. They have removed all 6 spark plugs and are about the check the cylinders, fingers crossed it's nothing critical.
Any ideas?
No idea, but let us know. I have a 2009 C2S with 129K miles on it and the engine makes all kinds of scary noises. Now that it is cold out, it makes even wierder noises. Seriously, I don't like it...... but, when it is all warmed up... and it needs to be near fully warm, it runs pretty smoothly. But oh those first 15 mnts or so..... bleck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep driving it Bruce. I know I will drive my 997.2 until the engine implodes...hopefully much later than sooner.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik_jac
I'm reopening this thread again. I own a 997.2 C2S with 80000km which now is making a distinct tapping noise at cold start. Goes away after 5 minutes of driving but during the first 5 minutes you can hear it in the car while driving and engine braking, but now when accelerating. Also standing still and revving it only tapps when letting off the accelerator after you rev it. So not while revving up, only when revving down. And not on idle. The car has center muffler delete, serviced every 15000 km and running 0W-40 Mobil 1 oil, no engine mods. After the engine gets up to normal temp you can't hear the tapping while revving like in the movie below. So only when its cold.

It's currently at the local Porsche dealer and they say they can hear the tapping noise also at idle, must be with some instrument I guess or standing under the car while on the lift and idling. They have removed all 6 spark plugs and are about the check the cylinders, fingers crossed it's nothing critical.

Heres a movie: https://youtu.be/t8_6g-DUFJg

Any ideas?
Change oil (use a good one) and drop in 1.5 bottles of
Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment
and report back.

Note: fresh oil and MoS2 to the proper oil filling level, of course; do not overfill.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Try changing the oil to Castrol Syntec 5W 40.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

User
Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 PM
strickrn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put 27,000 miles on my 2009 C2S in Delaware and keep the car outside. I drive it in the snow and have run it on all the local tracks (within 500 miles). The car runs fine except for one random shut down when I pushed in the clutch after filling it up with gas. The car seems to be fine (knock on wood).
Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Targaone1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am shopping for a 997,2 cayman 2009 to 2012 . I believe the 2009 base does not have the direct injection but the S does... I am moving up to a more expensive car so I dont worry about bore scoring or IMS. Is the direct injected engine a must have for reliability ??? The horsepower would be nice , but either car would be fine. I just do not understand if the base with intake injectors or the direct injection would be a better long term deal... I have been without a porsche since my 944 and it had 250 k miles with timing belt and front seal and waterpump replacements.. I want a cayman I can drive a long time. Please give me your honest opinion and any info you could share. thanks much Scott in wisconsin.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Targaone1
I am shopping for a 997,2 cayman 2009 to 2012 . I believe the 2009 base does not have the direct injection but the S does... I am moving up to a more expensive car so I dont worry about bore scoring or IMS. Is the direct injected engine a must have for reliability ??? The horsepower would be nice , but either car would be fine. I just do not understand if the base with intake injectors or the direct injection would be a better long term deal... I have been without a porsche since my 944 and it had 250 k miles with timing belt and front seal and waterpump replacements.. I want a cayman I can drive a long time. Please give me your honest opinion and any info you could share. thanks much Scott in wisconsin.
Port injectors with lower pressure fuel pumps are more reliable than direct injectors and their high pressure fuel pumps.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Targaone1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sounds like the base is a better reliability

Why did porsche go to direct cylinder injection if it is less reliable ? Fuel economy , emissions , or higher performance. heat management ?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Why did porsche go to direct cylinder injection if it is less reliable ? Fuel economy , emissions , or higher performance. heat management ?
Fuel economy is the #1 reason. Better fuel control with multiple injections per cycle allow for higher compression ratios and theoretically reduced emissions, however they've now discovered that GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines are generating soot like diesel engines, requiring gasoline particulate filters to address Euro 6 requirements for soot control.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Many companies moved to DI because the additional piston and cylinder cooling allows the designers to increase the compression ratio which increases power and efficiency. The downside to DI is increased production of soot as some fuel droplets hit the piston ( like with a Diesel), poor fuel/air mixing which can increase emissions and lack of fuel washing the intake valves and surrounding area of the head.

Most companies have had widespread problems with the DI injectors and the high pressure fuel pumps but the problems appear to have decreased somewhat in recent years. VWs and Audis sold in the EU often have both port and direct injectors ( Some Toyotas in the US market as well). DI is used for idling and for extreme power demand while the port injectors are used for cruising etc. ( about 60-80% of the time). I believe the EU has stricter limits on particulates than the US. These systems offer the best of both worlds with greater cost ( but you still have a HPFP on board).
Old 08-01-2019, 03:55 PM
strickrn
Intermediate

Default 9A1 pulls like a tractor

My 2009 C2S pulls hard and clicks like a DFI engine should. They all click.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:20 PM
strickrn
Intermediate

Default 9A1 pulls like a tractor

My 2009 C2S pulls hard and clicks like a DFI engine should. They all click.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability