Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:41 PM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I buy, it will be a 991.
I only posted in the 997 forum as the new car uses a derivative of the 997.2 engine and I wanted to hear if there were any issues with that engine.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
I only posted in the 997 forum as the new car uses a derivative of the 997.2 engine and I wanted to hear if there were any issues with that engine.
it is a questionable strategy but i vote to buy GTS car in this and next year or even until 991.1 will be replaced with 991.2.
or get current 997.2 gt3 car which may be better than GTS depending of planned usage pattern.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
it is a questionable strategy but i vote to buy GTS car in this and next year or even until 991.1 will be replaced with 991.2.
or get current 997.2 gt3 car which may be better than GTS depending of planned usage pattern.
You mean you don't want to be the first on your block with the "latest and greatest?" Sounds like a wise approach to me. Foolish not to learn from history and past experience. Foolish and wasteful. Lets see how those guys with their 2 year leases make out in the short run. For the long haul the ever multiplying list of electronic gadgetry makes buying one of these things a really scary proposition.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOL
If that's the case, I would wait for at least the first year of the 991 to pass before buying. I would be more concerned with other misc. electrical gremlins to shake themselves out or just buy a GTS and enjoy it for a few years while waiting.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Add me to the list of buyers that wasn't willing to take the plunge on a new Porsche until the engine issues were resolve.d So far as I have seen there have been very few major issues with the DFI engines.

As others have noted, I have also read that water pumps and fuel pumps are common issues but to me that is minor. RMS or other forms of engine failure are a major problem IMHO and Porsche waited too long to correct it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
I am definitely not a troll. I am a Porsche lover that was a bit upset when my 2003 911C4s with only 45k miles self destructed. [...]
So no, I am not a troll, just an enthusiast that wants to get back into Porsche, but before doing so, doing a bit of due diligence.
I never considered you a troll at all. For one thing, you came with a question. Trolls always are certain. Certainty is almost the defining trait of a troll's post. On this forum, trolls come who own other cars assuring new owners of the 997 of the disasters yet to come. Disasters that arise from their poor judgment in buying a car the troll has wisely chosen not to buy. Once in a while, the owner of a 997.1 has expressed such views about the wild optimism of we who bought the 997.2. That isn't really trollish, since it is just a skeptical attitude rather than a non-owner coming into the forum posting just to stimulate argument.

In truth, the trolls don't care whether they are right or wrong, so long as they can create controversy. Thus the certainty of their posts. As it happens, the trolls and the skeptics both were wrong. The 997.1 fixed many of the complaints of 996 owners and the 997.2's fixed most of the remainder. Mind you, it still doesn't have automatic headlights, massage seats, nor even radar-controlled cruise circuits... but we owners struggle along.

As for the cracked cylinder liner, I really am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Cylinder liners are a regular point of failure for high-performance engines. My point is they are not endemic and never were in the water-cooled Porsches despite what people may hear. In racing, they are a common problem because the cars subject the engines to almost intolerable temperature extremes in certain conditions. In road cars, using liquid coolant solves many of the problems of the very high combustion chamber temps required by emission regulations, but it can't solve all of them and some engines will fail. It is not possible to build an engine with extreme performance goals like ours have and also with the stolid reliability of the great iron lumps of the past.

Nevertheless, the 964 and 996 generations were pretty much a low point for Porsche. They were compelled to reduce costs while increasing sales or go under. As a result, some of the manufacturing choices were marginal at best. Those days are behind fortunately. You won't be disappointed if you buy a 997.2, nor in my opinion, a 991.

Gary
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

wow, after reading this, consider my car forsale - and cheap - anybody got a hundred bucks or so?

need to get something far cheaper, less sporty
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Pm'd
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
wow, after reading this, consider my car forsale - and cheap - anybody got a hundred bucks or so?

need to get something far cheaper, less sporty
Nice color. I'll go a hundred ten. And I'll throw in the taxes and fees on the transaction!

G
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simsgw
Nice color. I'll go a hundred ten. And I'll throw in the taxes and fees on the transaction!

G
Too rich for my blood...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
JOL
Advanced

"I never considered you a troll at all. For one thing, you came with a question. Trolls always are certain. Certainty is almost the defining trait of a troll's post...."

Based on the content of your posts, I think you just described yourself. haha
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
"I never considered you a troll at all. For one thing, you came with a question. Trolls always are certain. Certainty is almost the defining trait of a troll's post...."

Based on the content of your posts, I think you just described yourself. haha
hardly - his posts for the most parts have scientific or facts. I for one like them. Trolls say things that will certainly happen in the future with no facts or science to back it up. Like the DFI engine will definitely ..... Add your own end to that sentence.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If a NASA engineer has an opinion , and openly posts his resume on line, to me that is about as certain as it is going to get.
If someone has a couple of non descriptive letters above their avatar along with number of posts and join date as their only references,I am not going to take as much credence from their advice.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
JOL
Advanced

Perhaps, but we digress. Let's get back to why I asked this question in the first place.

I'm interested in first hand experiences. I'm not really that interested in conjecture. I'm pretty sure that the Porsche engineers have weighed the cost vs reliability parameters and I'm also pretty sure that they are not willing to share that info with the public.

So far, I have only read positive things about this engine.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
So far, I have only read positive things about this engine.
despite of what was posted, all engines die in the end, they have limited resource and it depends of usage pattern only how fast will you go the the end of a lifecycle.

there is a LOT of 997.1 cars with m96/m97 motors that run on track and street, some even supercharged and nothing happens to them. there is a rennlist member here with 996 m96 car with EVO charger, he has a lot of track miles on the car and nothing happens. 997.2 only started from 2009, it is hardly 3 years and almost no 997.2 cars were fully transformed into trqack only cars so we indeed do not have enough statistical evidence yet to make any concrete conclusions.

so far on forums it was was quiet regarding to blown engines on 997.2 cars and that`s as much as we can tell.

and nothing of that has anything to do with 991 cars which no one ever saw yet.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability