Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurt myself getting out of my car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dr. Strange, I'd suggest putting some type of padding or bumper against the wall in your small garage, so you can confidently open the door as wide as possible, without fear of dinging your door. This might help too. Could be something as simple as that pipe wrap/insulation sold at Home Depot.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

turn upper body 90 deg to the left, press left elbow into the backrest of the seat then move left leg out and push with left elbow to rest move torso out.

all that is nothing compared to how you get into a race car based on old 197x frame with full cage when you legs get stuck in the middle of the process.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I, too, have a tight garage situation. Getting in and out of the 911 is always a slow, careful process, but sometimes I forget and move a little too fast.
So far, I haven't injured myself, but I can totally see how it would be easy to do.
People who drive Hondas don't have these problems. I suspect they have other problems, however.
Just sold my S2000 last fall, that was also tough to get out from
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
GT3 seats are pretty tough:
They certainly are, all I remember with the spyder is that if I were any bigger I could be there for a while !
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Sell me the car and rid yourself of this awfull problem
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This reminds me of a funny story from several years ago. My neighbor bought a brand new red Corvette. The poor Vette was always sitting on the driveway. I ask him about that. His response was something about when he was younger he was too poor to buy one. Now, he was too old to get in and out of it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Add sport buckets to the mix and it can be even more interesting in a tight spot. Fortunately, while aging, I'm still pretty limber and haven't pulled anything.....yet.
Amen to this comment. There ought to be some type of product liability statement with the Sports Buckets. You sort of have to lift yourself over the shell and then roll out. (Actually, when I ordered them there was a GT2 in the shop at the dealer w/ sports buckets and the owner graciously showed me his technique and let me try out the seats for a while.)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I'm getting so old I have boy scouts helping me in and out

Tom
That would be a pretty colorful Merit Badge!!! (By the way, you're right to skip the black wheels. I like them but if they didn't come standard, and I didn't want to try out something different, I would not have gotten them and been very happy with the brushed Al look.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have adaptive sport seats...

I programed one of the memory settings to it's farthest distance back (both seat back and pan) which not only makes getting in and out easier but also helps alleviate wear on the bolster.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Dr. Strange
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Dr. Strange, sorry about your Porsche induced injury. You need to get into the gym at little bit. Doing some low weight, good technique (slight knee bend, toes out slightly, feet shoulder width, squat to about the same depth as sitting on a toilet) , squats will help you with the egress into and out of your Porsche.
I like it and will give it a try. Funny thing is...I exercise a fair bit, but I only do one thing. Ride a bike. I suspect that there are muscle groups that are being....er....neglected.

Originally Posted by eflight
Sell me the car and rid yourself of this awfull problem
...wasn't complaining so much as looking for folks who had experienced similar problems. Great replies everyone. Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it as a hint you need to exercise more :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Amen to this comment. There ought to be some type of product liability statement with the Sports Buckets. You sort of have to lift yourself over the shell and then roll out. (Actually, when I ordered them there was a GT2 in the shop at the dealer w/ sports buckets and the owner graciously showed me his technique and let me try out the seats for a while.)
Exactly right. And using the sill as the lift point, as others have also mentioned, is the best way to get up and out of the bucket IMO, without causing long term wear and tear on the seat bolster or myself.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Gizmogirl256
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mander
Actually I've found that my flexibility has increased since I got the 09C4S. Getting in and out on a daily basis has limbered me up. Talked to my doc about whether that made the car a medical expense. She said no ....
LOL. I tried the same tactic with my doc! Going back to a stick shift really helped making my elbow tendinitis go away. He just laughed at me but was glad it worked.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommend Yoga, it will do wonders for you
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
acao
Racer

If you're garage is secure and cat free, leave the driver's window down. It gives you more room to maneuver your upper body, and airs out the car's interior.

Quick Reply: Hurt myself getting out of my car!