Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Car Covers

Need some advice...
I have looked at most of the car covers that are available but need some input.
The car is garaged, (carport iz enclosed on 3 sides, has a door, and louvers on one side) used once myabe twice a week, my main focus is to keep the car dust free...
Other covers I have had seem to leave a "film" that I can see after the car is uncovered, I want to avoid this if possible.
Cover must be light enough to be "folded up" compactly.
Has anyone tried to keep just a lightweight plastic over the car, like the kind you'd use to cover furniture in a summer house?
Tnx guys
Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Carnewal ha$ great cover$. Lot$ of color$ and ha$ the Por$che cre$t. Ju$t a little pricey. Very nice. Didn't you ask this question last year?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes I did, and still can't decide which to buy....I've heard that most of the covers allow fine dust to penetrate...there is construction locally and I'll probably use a plastic sheet onder the cover, unless I hear that its not a good idea
A few years ago i was at Kremer Brothers in Koln Germany, they keep the old race cars in their basement all covered with plastic drop cloths !
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

When I stored my car for the Winter period I placed a new plastic tarp on the floor as well as a new tarp over the interior car cover. If there's movement with wind etc the plastic tarp cover may scratch the clearcoat over time without a fabric car cover.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Has anyone tried to keep just a lightweight plastic over the car, like the kind you'd use to cover furniture in a summer house?
Tnx guys
Plastic sheeting doesn't breathe what so ever. I would assume that being in Florida, you're in a very humid area. Moisture will rise from the floor, then get trapped under the plastic. The last thing you want is a moisture barrier covering your car.

Good car covers allow for some "breathing" to happen under the cover so that any moisture can evaporate away.

Plastic will simply grind any accumulated dust into the paint where as a good car cover is much less likely to scratch paint.

Any fine dust that makes it through a good car cover most likely won't do any damage as long as you remove the cover carefully.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I placed a new plastic tarp on the floor.
This is a great tip to remember when storing a vehicle on concrete or on dirt. The plastic sheeting/tarp acts as a moisture barrier and keeps that moisure from rising up and condensing on the car, especially when the temps change in spring. The floor and car are still cold, but the air is warming up. I've seen a few very nice cars that have never seen a winter season be ruined by improper storage and not having a vapor barrier put under the car during season changes...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Plastic will keep the dust off (most of) your car.
It will also trap and possibly precipitate moisture.
No problem in the (likely) humidity-controlled environment you saw in Koln.
Not sure that's a great trade-off in FL. Mildew?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Plastic sheeting doesn't breathe what so ever. I would assume that being in Florida, you're in a very humid area. Moisture will rise from the floor, then get trapped under the plastic. The last thing you want is a moisture barrier covering your car.

Good car covers allow for some "breathing" to happen under the cover so that any moisture can evaporate away.

Plastic will simply grind any accumulated dust into the paint where as a good car cover is much less likely to scratch paint.

Any fine dust that makes it through a good car cover most likely won't do any damage as long as you remove the cover carefully.
+1
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 AM
gwf0728a
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased the 00004400077 Car cover 911 indoor 1 345.00 from Porsche itself. Seems it was cheap enough and probably the best bet to cover a car indoors.

Just my take

v/r

GW
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Any indoor cover will let fine dust get through.
Check out the "Future" covers that we sell.
It's an outdoor cover with the fitment quality of an indoor cover.
Just like Gore-tex and Geox, moisture goes out, not in.

More info :
http://carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p080.htm
We have the "Future" covers for the 997 in stock.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I use an outdoor cover because I have a cab and the lint from the regular interior covers would come off onto the canvas top. The bonus is nothing gets through. it's washable, and even can be dried in my dryer.

Got it from Griot Garage.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

On the high of buying the car I purchased the oem porsche cover from a local P dealer. It was expensive but its very well made and fits like a glove, with the P logo front and rear and made from a material better than my curtains. Car looks better witht the cover on !
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought the Porsche OEM outdoor cover. Works beautifully and I just throw it in the washer every so often. No dust will make it throughout the cover whatsoever.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to have a Porsche branded cover that was a silver colored water repellant (not waterproof) fabric on the outside so it would breathe, but with flannel lining on the inside over the front and rear fenders where the cover was most likely to rub against the car. Great cover. Does anyone know if any of the current OEM covers are like that?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I used to have a Porsche branded cover that was a silver colored water repellant (not waterproof) fabric on the outside so it would breathe, but with flannel lining on the inside over the front and rear fenders where the cover was most likely to rub against the car. Great cover. Does anyone know if any of the current OEM covers are like that?
Mike, this is exactly how the OEM outdoor cover is. All flannel on the inside (except for the clear plastic license plate area), silver outside with porsche lettering and badge on the front hood (frunk) section. Great cover and fits like a glove.

Quick Reply: Car Covers