Sponsored by:

Trickle charger question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Trickle charger question

Hello.. I have 2 Pcars and both are experiencing the same thing.. It maybe the norm..

Both cars in hibernation with Porsche trickle chargers.. They are plugged in the same outlet .. What happens is that is I only see the charge light when I first plug them in.. Within a few days.. I notice that the charge light never does go back on.. I get the car keys and I try to lock or unlock the car.. No response.. I manually unlock the car.. Open the door and all seems normal..

I then lock the car via the key the car now resonds..and the trickle charger light comes on at that point.. I wait a few days and the whole scenario repeats it self

It's identical on both cars..

Is this normal ?

Thnka
Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mzn50
Hello.. I have 2 Pcars and both are experiencing the same thing.. It maybe the norm..

Both cars in hibernation with Porsche trickle chargers.. They are plugged in the same outlet .. What happens is that is I only see the charge light when I first plug them in.. Within a few days.. I notice that the charge light never does go back on.. I get the car keys and I try to lock or unlock the car.. No response.. I manually unlock the car.. Open the door and all seems normal..

I then lock the car via the key the car now resonds..and the trickle charger light comes on at that point.. I wait a few days and the whole scenario repeats it self

It's identical on both cars..

Is this normal ?

Thnka
Not familiar with the lights on the Porsche maintainer but maintainers charge the battery and then stop when it reaches the set voltage and then it goes into "maintain" mode so it's not unusual to see charging indicators stop until the voltage drops below the min threshold then charging starts again.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

either the chargers are bad or you dont have good connections to the battery
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM
mzn50
Racer

Thanks for the feedback jh..
Okbarnett.. Both cars ..where one is new?.. I've had these chargers for a few yrs now.. I never recall them failing.... But never recall them not periodically lighting up.. And don't recall manually unlocking to almost resync them.. Odd anyways

Thx again
Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you describe I believe is the intended operation.
That is how mine works.
Light is on for charging, off when fully charged.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

After a week without use, the car will not allow you to unlock it with the remote key. Once you do unlock it with the metal key, use the fob and all is well.

i picked this up from this forum, I think.

It's possible that your chargers are just fine, and that all is well for you, too.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:27 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
What you describe I believe is the intended operation.
That is how mine works.
Light is on for charging, off when fully charged.
+1 - the light indicates that it's charging - if you open the car up the lights turn on etc. and the charger starts supplying current again.

I would be more worried if you always see the light on - indicates a phantom current path which would discharge your battery faster than normal if not being trickle charged.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had the "always on" issue. I found out the hard way that it means the battery is not holding charge, hence the battery maintainer is always supplying it juice.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
mzn50
Racer

Thanks guys.. I feel more confident all seems normal...

C'mon Spring !!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Bum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 7-day key feature is in the manual. Here is the excerpt.

The remote-control standby function switches off after 7 days. If the vehicle is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 7 days, the remote control standby function is switched off (to prevent dis-charging of the vehicle battery).

1. In this case, unlock the driver’s door with the key at the door lock. Leave the door closed in order to prevent the alarm system from being triggered.

2. Press button 1 on the remote control.

The remote control is now activated again.

Quick Reply: Trickle charger question