Stupid oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid oil question

Hello,

Sorry for the dumb question. My oil indicator shows the oil level at 2/4 and I would like to add some oil.

- How much do I need to add to make it 4/4? Would 1 quart do it? Or is it too much?

- Also, I do not know which oil weight was used (previous owner did the oil service). Can different oil weight be mixed? What does Porsche recommend for 2006 C2S?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Mobil 1 0-40. Those indicators are finicky. Put a half liter in and check it.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Add 0W40 synthetic. Each bar is about 350 ml. Add 1/4 qt. check level. Don't over fill.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Got it. Thank you so much.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eunsulover
Hello,

Sorry for the dumb question. My oil indicator shows the oil level at 2/4 and I would like to add some oil.

- How much do I need to add to make it 4/4? Would 1 quart do it? Or is it too much?

- Also, I do not know which oil weight was used (previous owner did the oil service). Can different oil weight be mixed? What does Porsche recommend for 2006 C2S?
You really should know what oil was used. If you can't find this out were I you I'd be inclined to have the oil/filter service done with an approved oil just to get the car on known footing again, at least regarding oil.

Porsche recommends that when topping up the engine with oil the same oil that is in the engine be used. However, you do not know what oil is in the engine.

So, this brings me to this: Porsche also says that all of its approved oils are miscible. There is no need to flush the engine of its old oil when refilling the engine with another (though different) brand of an approved oil.

The implication is that non-approved oils are not miscible with each other or with an approved oil.

Now many oil experts say similar oils can be mixed. But in your case, the problem is you don't know what oil was used. It might be -- just for example -- a mineral based oil or mineral/synthetic oil or it might be a group IV (ester) based synthetic oil.

Thus I'm not sure what to advise. It may be the height of being overly cautious (and I tend towards being overly cautious when it comes to engine lubrication) but I could see you doing an oil/filter service -- using an approved oil of course -- then after warming up the engine doing another.

IOWs, the engine is treated to an engine oil flush by using an approved oil and sacrificing the 8 to 9 quarts of oil and a filter element.

Or if you are not the overly cautious type just have an oil/filter service done and be done with it.

Or further down on the cautious scale if you prefer just top up the engine with the appropriate amount of say Mobil 1 0w-40, or some other approved oil, though Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is the easiest to come by oil.

Then come the next oil/filter service get back on a known track with an approved oil and carry a quart of the same oil used in the oil/filter service in the car just to have in case you need to top up the engine oil.

Whenever you add oil, be sure the car's level. Add oil in 1/4 quart amounts and check the oil level before adding more.

You want to avoid overfilling the engine with oil. While nothing serious will probably happen if a bit extra oil is added to the engine a problem is the oil level system is not designed to accurately report by how much the oil system has been overfilled only that the oil system is overfilled with oil.

So the best course of action is to avoid overfilling the engine with oil in the first place.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 AM
eunsulover
Instructor

Thank you very much for your guidance and detailed explanation, Macster. This information is extremely helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason you need to add oil is that you use M1 0W-40.
Each increment reprsents 0.4L of oil. But.... With 50% acurracy.
There is a post on Renntech about it.
Get a decent oil and change it every 6 months. Unless of course you lease your car......
See LN Engineering website for more info.
Cheers.
=L=
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxter
The reason you need to add oil is that you use M1 0W-40.

Get a decent oil and change it every 6 months.
I beg to differ......I've been driving Porsches since 1978, 911s since 1993 (964, 993, 996, 997). I just performed my first oil service on my new 2012 GTS. After 4000 miles of driving, including one 2000 mile highway trip, I was down 1/3 quart of oil. All miles with M1 0W40.

To the OP, just add oil in 1/4to 1/3 quart increments, checking the level as you go. I would recommend NOT adding oil until you are down 1 quart. Overfilling is NOT good. A lot of folks run their 911s at the halfway mark between the add and full marks.

ALL my miles with 911s have been with factory fill Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Stupid oil question