Sponsored by:

Coolant light question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Coolant light question

I noticed this morning my coolant was about a inch below the min line in the resevouir. I was wonder why the warning light did not come on?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
I noticed this morning my coolant was about a inch below the min line in the resevouir. I was wonder why the warning light did not come on?
8.5 gallons of coolant so I imagine it has to be a lot lower than below the min line. Have you ever seen the size of the resevouir - it goes pretty far back into the engine compartment.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
8.5 gallons of coolant so I imagine it has to be a lot lower than below the min line. Have you ever seen the size of the resevouir - it goes pretty far back into the engine compartment.
Yeah, that's not very low at all. Must be a lot lower to turn the light on.

You shouldn't be losing coolant. There's something causing this. If your level is dropping, there's a good chance you merely need to replace the cap with a new one. I drove around for a few years with a coolant tank that was chronically an inch or two low. I had the dealer check for a leak or engine problem. Couldn't find anything. But when I would top off the system, it would always run down a little low. Finally I read something here on the 996 forum about the coolant caps becoming defective. And sure enough, I replaced my cap with a brand new one and the level hasn't moved from full since then. I think it cost me about $16.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks I'll keep a eye on it

Quick Reply: Coolant light question