Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S on ~$50k budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.1 C2S on ~$50k budget

First Post: Although i've done a bunch of research and searches here, i'm looking for a little more input.

I have a 1987 911 Carrera garage queen and a not very special daily driver vehicle. I'm looking to sell both, and then looking for a 997.1 C2S for about $50,000. The 997 C2S will become my daily driver, I have two young children which fit nicely into the back of my 1987 911 with their 5-point harness toddler seats strapped back there. As they grow out of that seat, the 1987 doesn't have shoulder seat belts for the rear seats, thus the significant change to a more modern 911. I want to drive a 911 more often, but i'm 'burdened' with my garage queen for the last 15 years.

Should i only consider CPOs? If so, why? There have been some recent posts about this and it seems rather subjective, but i'm looking for something more objective.

If not CPO, then what specific things should i be cautious of. If i'm buying from a Porsche dealership should i still get a PPI? For a PPI, there's a spectrum of services... what specific items should i ensure they check?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Tito_gsx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer all your questions but I can give my view:

I definitely would not use my pcar as the only car in the household. Hauling people, groceries, and running errands is awkward and can be stressful. Also depends on how much driving and what type of climate you drive in.

CPO is good thing but you will typically pay more. It's really about how much you want to minimize risk. I don't have CPO and so far have been lucky without having unforeseen repairs.

PPI is a must, I'd recommend getting one done at a Porsche dealer. Certain things to look out for is DME report, maintenance records, overall condition of components (interior, exterior). Also take a look under the car to see condition.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

911 can make great daily drivers, your 87 would also be fine as a daily but perhaps lacking in some of the modern comforts.

If you end up buying a pristine example 997 what makes you think you won't be hesitant to take it to take it the same places that keep you from driving the 87? Reading your post, it sounds as though the errant door ding or rock chip will really bother you (that's okay, they bug me too..).

Keep the daily hack and contiue to save for the 997 and sell the 87. Or, pull the 87 Carrera out of the garage and start driving the **** out of it. Otherwise, you're just saving it for the next guy.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
pez888
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to sell your 87 911 queen can you email me. dlau88@aol.com
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

i also bought mine about a year ago as a DD and put about 10k of mileage over 1 year. I also did not buy CPO but rather relied on my experience with working on cars and eyed the car over carefully. Like any other car, just check the car thoroughly and get the service and carfax history. If your not good with cars get a PPI and DME as someone else stated.

I have gone a year now without any issues, but then again i feel these cars are pretty reliable.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm currently using my car as DD with two kids in the back. I was in the same boat a few months ago. I found a few CPOs right around $50k, but they all had collision history. Dealers said everything was repaired perfectly, but I didn't want to deal with it. So I got 06C2S without CPO private party instead. I got a highly optioned car with 33k miles that looked new inside and out and was under $50k.

Get a PPI from a different place than where you're buying the car. Things I looked for, good DME, a few rock chips on bumper (didn't want a bumper that had been sprayed, makes me wonder if there was a collision), tire condition, brakes, service records, alternator cable check, battery check, brake wear. Don't trust the carfax if it's clean, since people elect to go outside of insurance for repairs. If you're really paranoid have them do a paint test, but most car folks can tell if a car has had work done.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. 1.5 yrs ago I bought a launch edition 2005 C2S with +/- 40K miles (I can't remember now). It has 51K miles now and it has been great. I have no warranty, but I have full service history and all TSBs were addressed by the previous owner under warranty. I saved roughly $8K - $9K buying private party so the money I saved goes to the future exploded engine fund. I ran a number of cars through a reputable Porsche indy for the PPI. Do what is best for you.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Of course the real challange is finding a nice $50K Porsche in the RI area. I've been looking for a while and the supply is prettly limited in that range. The other issue is finding a good Porsche Indy in the area, there are a few in MA, but I haven't found a well recomended one in the area. If you know of one in RI please post or PM me with the info.

One thing I can say is that you should bring the car to an indy for a PPI if you can. At the very least you learn what to look for as you walk around the car with them, so next time you go looking you are a better customer. I was looking at a 911 being sold as a CPO from a Porsche dealer in MA, the indy found a number of issues with the car that I never would have picked up on, not to mention what the computer told him.

One thing the RI Porsche dealer told me to do was wait untill the 2012 model hits the streets. There are a bunch of guys that just have to have the latest and greatest and will be dumping thier current cars on the market, this will help the used car prices and availbility.

Of couse the bad news is now I have competition looking for a 911 in the same price range as me. Dibs on the nice one
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Highly recommend a PPI. I've made offers on two cars lately. One had front and rear paintwork seller did not know about when he bought it from a dealer. Other had a seriously bad DME scan - so bad that once we discussed it the dealership decided not to CPO the car anymore.
Best $300 you'll spend.
Also, if a Porsche dealer won't give you the DME scan on any 911, CPO or not, walk away. I've looked at a couple cars from dealerships that were well priced and I think there is a reason for it. They didn't want to cough up the scans. If they really want to sell it and know they have a solid car, they will give it to you.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eflight
Of course the real challange is finding a nice $50K Porsche in the RI area.
true, but my '06 car came from a seller in RI in 2009 and i did pay $38K. still cannot get rid of an itch to replace it with GT3 car but i just suppress that and keep driving what i own as a sparrow in thy hand is better than a thousand sparrows flying plus i realize now that my lust will not stop until i get myself a cup car that has no space left to 'grow'. so i better stop early.

PPI by itself is a useful tool but its primary purpose is to establish and confirm that your car still has warranty coverage. if you are new to P cars, get a one with CPO warranty to protect your wallet. negotiate with a dealer to get one, it will pay off.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Newport RI

I am in RI and maybe selling mine, PM me if you maybe interested...picking up GT3RS soon. 05 997 none S

rms and IMS done few thousand miles ago, owned for 3 years, no issues, solid car, runs great, new tires, new brakes (pads and rotors with OEM porsche parts), engine stock accept an EVO air box and many other quality add ons to car from wheels (OEM RUF 19) to suspension (Techart full; coil overs) to other (997TT fully operating rear deck lid, Hamman front chin spoiler, interior parts as well...) etc...if you like basic stock cars this is not for you.... 05 none s...PPI welcomed... and encouraged on any P car purchase...car very very well maintained.

Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. I'm more informed now.

Once a garage queen, always one... so i can't mentally just starting using the 1987 as a DD. Although the garage queen doesn't have any door dings now, i know i'll have to have a major mental shift once i transition to a daily driver 997. I'm glad to hear that some people have good experiences with Private Party after a thorough PPI. Given that, what is benefit of purchasing a non-CPO from a Dealer, instead of Private Party? Do any of these dealers provide warranties that cover anything significant?... or is it just reputation?

I'm not overly familiar with DME reports/scans. What particular things should i be aware of and stay away from?

Hey eflight... i can't PM yet on this forum... but i think you can PM me.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

search this forum for DMI scan - it should be mentioned during PPI - 'do DME scan for me'. you should not see any data in ranges 4 and above as it affects future status of warranty related claims if your engine/gearbox dies.
if you buy from a dealer they can CPO any car for additional fee, if they say they cannot CPO car that is eligible by its manufacturing date it would be a big red flag to me, that means they know something.

for a dealer CPO is just a product they sell, if car qualifies they can do it.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

mickfluff, adaptive sport seats by chance?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I believe so....

I think so...don't mean to answer like this but believe there are 3-4 seat variants for the 997 from Normal adaptive, Sport Standard, Sport Adaptive, etc...

My seats have the memory feature, lumbar, and all power.... so believe the answer is yes. Also the car has Bose, Nav, Xenon, Sport Chrono, etc... it is a well optioned car.

Originally Posted by eflight
mickfluff, adaptive sport seats by chance?

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S on ~$50k budget