Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S on ~$50k budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if they have power they are not sport adaptives. they are power seats.

good luck with sale, have you picked your RS already?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default thanks...

thanks for the note.... not yet, will wait to spring I think. Unless I fall for another toy....I always come close to getting something at the Boat show each year....we'll see.... in no rush to sell my car.

Originally Posted by utkinpol

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

on cars .com i saw 2010 or 2011 gt3 car for sale in CT, for $83K, private party. looks like good enough deal.
just can`t help myself to stop from tracking this stuff, even as i promised my wife no other cars in next 2 years.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Not sure why you say that, adpative sport seats have power buttons on the seat and use power to move.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

PPI by itself is a useful tool but its primary purpose is to establish and confirm that your car still has warranty coverage. .
Can you elaborate on this point you made? IMO a PPI or Pre-Purchase Inspection, is for the buyer of a vehicle to confirm the current condition of a preowned car they wish to purchase, including DME, body work, brakes, tires, leaks, etc.

IMO the PPI is not used to determine warranty.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael_s
IMO the PPI is not used to determine warranty.
if you get CPO you need to make sure car has clean DME with no onver-revs in range 4+ so your future claims would not be denied, in case if you find such over-revs during PPI you need to request service manager to document that you do receive a car with CPO warranty and all those issues should not affect status of your possible future warranty claims.

if you want to inspect car just to check its actual status i would not do it at a dealer, find good reputable mechanic in that area you can trust. it is a bit naive to do a PPI on a car delaer sells at same dealer and expect to hear anything negative.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eflight
Not sure why you say that, adpative sport seats have power buttons on the seat and use power to move.
i messed up. sorry. i was thinking of different seats, you are totally right about this, 'sport adaptives' are indeed luxury kind of standard seats with power controls and memory.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

if you get CPO you need to make sure car has clean DME with no onver-revs in range 4+ so your future claims would not be denied, in case if you find such over-revs during PPI you need to request service manager to document that you do receive a car with CPO warranty and all those issues should not affect status of your possible future warranty claims.

if you want to inspect car just to check its actual status i would not do it at a dealer, find good reputable mechanic in that area you can trust. it is a bit naive to do a PPI on a car delaer sells at same dealer and expect to hear anything negative.
I know why you are saying this, however there are thousands of CPO buyers that never get a DME and still buy the car. Only a small portion are on the forums and avail themselves to knowledge here. My point is that I would think (I could be wrong) if a dealer CPO's a car with rev 5 or 6 and you can prove, which you can by time stamp on DME, that these over-revs occured prior to your CPO purchase, it would be really tough to deny CPO warranty. Clearly P dealer can deny and then you need to fight which can be costly. IMO DME is most important to avoid a car that was beat on.

Your advise is sound, but in my opinion I would rather use the PPI to confirm the car has not been abused and uncover any unknown paint work than confirm the warranty. But, I would not purchase a car (with or w/o CPO) with any revs over range 4 so not an issue for me. Again, good advise to future owners.

Did I mention having the PPI at the dealer? Not sure where you are going with this, but I do a agree 100% that a neutral third party is vital.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default seats....

OK so think they are sport adaptives then
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an '06 C2S black on black coupe, with 38K miles...full leather, factory short shift kit, Bose, Chrono and the rest of the goodies...

I'm selling because I miss a convertible...just sold my '96 993 C4 Cab and already miss the Cab.

If you're interested, I'll give Rennlisters $45K...a lower price than the regular sites.

Jason
flamthrowr@aol.com
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
My point is that I would think (I could be wrong) if a dealer CPO's a car with rev 5 or 6 and you can prove, which you can by time stamp on DME, that these over-revs occured prior to your CPO purchase, it would be really tough to deny CPO warranty. Clearly P dealer can deny and then you need to fight which can be costly. IMO DME is most important to avoid a car that was beat on.
I believe it has happened that a P dealer denied warranty due to over-revs before a CPO. Possibly the buyer would have won in court, but if it gets to that you've already lost.

It's best to make sure you get a DME printout even for CPO cars. A Porsche dealer should be able to provide buyers with a printout.

It also has happened that CPO cars were sold with under the promised tire or brake pad life; it's always good to check over the CPO check-list yourself and make sure they didn't miss anything.

Personally I think PPI's are highly over-rated by rennlist. If you can look at the car yourself, you can do most of the things a PPI will do. You could buy a durametric cable for roughly the same price as a PPI, and then you get to keep the durametric.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking to buy my first Porsche in the $40 - $45K price range. I've been looking at the 996, primarily based on price, but I like the 997 much better. What is everyone's thoughts on the prospect of 997 prices dropping with the introduction on the new model? Do you expect much of a drop? If so, when do you think we will see it? I realize that most of you already own a 997 and don't want to see this happen but from my perspective, I would love to see it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
I believe it has happened that a P dealer denied warranty due to over-revs before a CPO.
100% this has happened. I was simply trying to point out that other than a DME scan a PPI has additional purposes. Again, I would never buy a car, CPO or not, with rev's higher than 3. I posted in the event a newcomer who has not posted reads the thread and thinks the sole purpose of a DME is to verify the CPO warranty which IMO it is not.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yank_my_chain
I'm looking to buy my first Porsche in the $40 - $45K price range. I've been looking at the 996, primarily based on price, but I like the 997 much better. What is everyone's thoughts on the prospect of 997 prices dropping with the introduction on the new model? Do you expect much of a drop? If so, when do you think we will see it? I realize that most of you already own a 997 and don't want to see this happen but from my perspective, I would love to see it.
You're there now. Higher mileage, low option 997 (non s) fall into that price range.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
You're there now. Higher mileage, low option 997 (non s) fall into that price range.
So does a well maintained, 50K mile '05 C2S Launch Edition. I have no dellusions of grandeur what it is worth. However, I'm not selling yet Yes, you are there now. Now, go get one.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S on ~$50k budget