Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade Nissan GTR for 06 911 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade Nissan GTR for 06 911 Carrera S?

Hi there,

I want to know your opinion on this trade: 2009 Nissan GTR, Premium 34,000 miles for a 2006 Red Carrera S with 15,800 miles and a set of HRE mono bloc wheels. Nissan has been a maintenance pig and despite the power I'm not impressed. Costs are astronomical for what it is. 1000 oil change, 2000 18K service, 4000 in tires within the year, brakes will be $4000 if I do them myself, $8000 at the dealer. Then there is Performance Optimization Services...it just never ends. So as I understand it the 911 is reliable and reasonable for service. It does not have a warrantee which is a concern... what do you think? Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
Christopher
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, you can do an oil change yourself on a Carrera for about $75 for oil and parts so that a $925 savings right there. Major service on Porsches is not cheap, and consumables like tires are expensive but certainly not more than you're paying now. Unless you're dealing with PCCBs, brake jobs are much more reasonable than what you are being quoted. And Porsches are generally quite reliable. The Carrera is a very different car from the GTR so you've got to decide if that's what you want, but IMO it will be a more satisfying car to own. But then what did you expect to hear on a Porsche forum? Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up my 06 C4 in May and it had 27000 mi on it and also no warranty. It is my DD and now has 55000 mi on the odometer. I've put front brakes, winter tires, and TPMS on rt. front and left rear. I've also done 3 oil changes. My baby has given me no other issues and she gets pretty decent gas milage. I couldn't think of a better car to take the place of your GTR.
Good luck!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Ironic! I was going to start a thread asking about the GTR, I have a 997 GTS that I love and my friend has a GTR, he isn't going to track it because he is uneasy about voiding the warranty?!? He loves the power but will never use it past street driving.

Just wanted to know what your thoughts are about the overall performance and driveability of your GTR?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by f1pilota
Hi there,

I want to know your opinion on this trade: 2009 Nissan GTR, Premium 34,000 miles for a 2006 Red Carrera S with 15,800 miles and a set of HRE mono bloc wheels. Nissan has been a maintenance pig and despite the power I'm not impressed. Costs are astronomical for what it is. 1000 oil change, 2000 18K service, 4000 in tires within the year, brakes will be $4000 if I do them myself, $8000 at the dealer. Then there is Performance Optimization Services...it just never ends. So as I understand it the 911 is reliable and reasonable for service. It does not have a warrantee which is a concern... what do you think? Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards,
Christopher
Just buy an extended warranty. You can get one from the nearest Porsche dealer for less then you spend on tires each year on the Nissan.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Chris,

My first thought is you may be disappointed with the power . The "S" is quick but can't match the GTR. Gotta drive the Carrera... that will tell you alot!

Maintainance: Could be similar costs, I'll defer to the track guys on that question.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

2009 Nissan GTR, Premium 34,000 miles for a 2006 Red Carrera S with 15,800 miles and a set of HRE mono bloc wheels.
Are these really comparable in price?

... no, a bit of searching indicates the GTR is $70-80k while a 2006 S is $45-50k

An even trade for a GTR would be to a 911 Turbo, which is going to feel a lot better coming from a GTR, a Carrera will feel very slow.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Hi there,

Kind Regards,
Christopher
those maintenance costs on the GTR are Ferrari-esque. Are you tracking the thing heavily? Porsche maintenance is much lower IMO - although not cheap. I have had my C2S for 2 years (15000 miles) and have spent about $1500 total. For a service and a couple of oil changes etc. No tires yet or other costs. Mine is a 2009 997.2 C2S and is under warranty.

As others have stated, I think the GTR is worth "more" - so if you're doing a trade, you may be getting the short end of the deal. Also, make sure you're Ok with a car that has 125 less HP and much less torque and far fewer electonics / nannies. Porsche - Much lighter different feeling car.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rodsky
those maintenance costs on the GTR are Ferrari-esque. Are you tracking the thing heavily? Porsche maintenance is much lower IMO - although not cheap. I have had my C2S for 2 years (15000 miles) and have spent about $1500 total. For a service and a couple of oil changes etc. No tires yet or other costs. Mine is a 2009 997.2 C2S and is under warranty.

As others have stated, I think the GTR is worth "more" - so if you're doing a trade, you may be getting the short end of the deal. Also, make sure you're Ok with a car that has 125 less HP and much less torque and far fewer electonics / nannies. Porsche - Much lighter different feeling car.
No tracking just daily driver. It is just terribly expensive to maintain. I'm not exaggerating the costs either. Furthermore, there is the imploding transmissions from 2009 due to launch control starts... Nissan was voiding warrantee on it until a class action sorted it out. The dealers were showing customers how to do it... thats how it gets its 0-60 numbers. Its not a Ferrari... i would be ok with the costs. I guess the car is just not for me. I don't mind the lower power car as I race cars from time to time so the street racing thing is fairly meaningless. The car is 2000 miles from the bumper to bumper warrantee expiring and its close to needing brakes. It has been keyed by someone so that has to be repaired. I thought a low mileage 06 911 would be $50K while the nissan with the miles is 59,000 if you can get it. Plus on a straight trade I avoid the tax. I have driven almost everything out there and the Nissan is noisy(transmission noise), cheap on quality, expensive to maintain...we also have no idea on long term issues as they are mostly all still under warrantee... I guess I just don't like it. 430 Scuderia or 458 Italia are fantastic but I'm not there...yet. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of maintenance, I may just be lucky, but I have owned two different 997s constantly since March 2005, and haven't had to take them in at all except for regularly scheduled visits.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DIY really keeps the maintenance cost low

I DIY so my '08 C2S with 50k miles has been relatively inexpensive. ~$500 last year for preventative maintenance parts for 2 oil changes, ignition coil pack, spark plugs, serpentine belt, and air filter. BTW, I got her in March last year so really didn't require anything but an inspection of the parts I replaced. I like to pamper my toys so I went go all out with the maintenance especially when they are new to me. Otherwise coil packs, plugs, and s-belt would normally just get inspected by the dealer... replacement is not required until damaged or 96K miles. This year I plan on flushing the radiator and brake fluids for ~$100... again it's all relatively inexpensive. If maintenance cost is a priority then I think the C2S is solid when you DIY... others on this forum will be able to share their dealer type service cost with you. Good luck with the decision.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

And did anyone mention that the GTR is butt ugly? Pure motivation to switch right there-
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

^^+1. I did a major myself except for the spark plugs, which were done at my local independent mechanic. I changed myself the air cabin filter, air filters (2 on my X51 airbox), serpentine belt and left the spark plug change to my mechanic. The serpentine belt wasn't required yet at the time I did it but it is inexpensive and so easy to do it oneself. Parts and labor I think didn't go beyond $900 + or -, IIRC. The car has never been down for repairs on anything breaking except for the alternator/battery cable which I replaced last year and was < $500 in my case. So far, since new, I've only done oil changes more frequently than the manual states, brake fluid flushes every 2 years, minor services, 1 major as stated above, that alternator/battery cable, a new battery and tires. Tires are the biggest expense as I only get about $12k miles from the rears and twice that many miles on the fronts. I have yet to need brake pads as the originals, the ones on the car right now, still have plenty of life.

This car is very reasonable and much cheaper than my former 1986 Ferrari 328 GTS, for sure less than my 944 Turbo and a little cheaper or similar to my present 1987 Carrera (more frequent maintenance but cheaper tires). One can pay Ferrari costs on a Ferrari but, on a GTR, no way I would!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
f1pilota
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cibergypsy
^^+1. I did a major myself except for the spark plugs, which were done at my local independent mechanic. I changed myself the air cabin filter, air filters (2 on my X51 airbox), serpentine belt and left the spark plug change to my mechanic. The serpentine belt wasn't required yet at the time I did it but it is inexpensive and so easy to do it oneself. Parts and labor I think didn't go beyond $900 + or -, IIRC. The car has never been down for repairs on anything breaking except for the alternator/battery cable which I replaced last year and was < $500 in my case. So far, since new, I've only done oil changes more frequently than the manual states, brake fluid flushes every 2 years, minor services, 1 major as stated above, that alternator/battery cable, a new battery and tires. Tires are the biggest expense as I only get about $12k miles from the rears and twice that many miles on the fronts. I have yet to need brake pads as the originals, the ones on the car right now, still have plenty of life.

This car is very reasonable and much cheaper than my former 1986 Ferrari 328 GTS, for sure less than my 944 Turbo and a little cheaper or similar to my present 1987 Carrera (more frequent maintenance but cheaper tires). One can pay Ferrari costs on a Ferrari but, on a GTR, no way I would!
Thats funny... I had an 87 GTS and a 944S2. I didn't mind spending on the Ferrari... Costs were ok if you DIY. Thanks for the info on some costs.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:32 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by smokestack20
Chris,

My first thought is you may be disappointed with the power . The "S" is quick but can't match the GTR. Gotta drive the Carrera... that will tell you alot!

Maintainance: Could be similar costs, I'll defer to the track guys on that question.
although my 2009 Carrera is not the S, after 8 months onwership, 6,000 miles, 6 Autocross events and 1 DE, the only maintenance has been 1 oil change with a cost of less than $100 and my tires from new have at least 4-5 autocross events still and maybe 1-2 DEs... The Carrera S i would assume would be exactly the same...

Power and especially torque will be the BIG difference but the P car has a much different character... I came from a 600+ awhp 10 sec on pumpgas Lancer EVO IX which of course was insanely faster than the P car but i dont regret it not even one sec...

Quick Reply: Trade Nissan GTR for 06 911 Carrera S?