Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P-car thrills and bills..!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
marcus0277
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my 40k major maintenance with plugs done for a little over $900. From the list of major maintenance items, the only thing I didn't get was a fresh can of tire sealant, so it seems like a good deal.

Also got the "b-plus" cable (that's what the dealer called it) replaced under warranty. It's the cable from the alternator to starter, and was replaced to resolve an issue I was having with slow cranking.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp
Dealer quoted $900.
Did that $900 include the labor for installing the new sensors. That could explain the difference between Tire Rack v Dealer Service Dept.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Spent another 1500 on rear tires and installation at the dealer. I was discussing potential upgrades to the car with service guy, and his suggestion was not to do anything until I can out drive the stock car. I am going to take his advice and first go to PDS in Alabama before doing any performance upgrades. With the new set of Yokohoma advans to match the fronts, the tire noise is minimal and I of course drove the socks off it on my way home!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pissed Puppy is right on...

Please post this on FerrariChat and see what emails you get back. For $1,300 you can get your tire pressure checked.

You have a nice selection of cars, well over $200k. $1,300 is maybe a couple of dollars high, but at the end of the day you are protecting a $100k investment.

BTW- I have this VERY bad feeling I am about to join you on some maintenance costs this spring, so please resend this email to me to level my frustration.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

investment? where?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Sanity for me.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
Check tire rack, about $380 for a set of four.
Are the Tire Rack TPM's compatible w/ the Porsche TPM receiver & electronics? I thought the Tire Rack offering was an after market solution that has a small dash mounted unit to report tire pressure(s).

I believe if you want to use the integrated Porsche feature you'll need Porsche TPMs.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For 2 sensors, 2 batteries installed and reprogrammed including labor and taxes, I paid $500 at my indy p-car mechanic.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
If the batteries in the TPMS go dead do they have to be replaced?
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
My tpms sensors are dead and I'm just living with it until I replace tires.
I have some bad news for those living in CA with aging TPMS. There is a new law coming into effect soon that mandates a cars TPMS must be in full functioning condition to pass a smog test! This will be cash in the bank for all tire shops. Not sure about other states, but most follow CA's lead in the smog business.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Phil
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

You would be surprised how much the maintenance charges for major services vary Dealer to Dealer. In my area the range was almost $300 for the same service. When you look at he printout of what they do, most of it is checks.

I emailed the service manager for the Dealer with the lowest service price, and he offered to lower the price an additional $200 which gives you an idea of how much profit margin they have in their charges.

Sevicing a Porsche is definitely a "what the market will bear" price, rather than a cost plus price, and I would expect that 99% of Porsche owners just pay the asking price.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I have some bad news for those living in CA with aging TPMS. There is a new law coming into effect soon that mandates a cars TPMS must be in full functioning condition to pass a smog test! This will be cash in the bank for all tire shops. Not sure about other states, but most follow CA's lead in the smog business.

Phil
How did that get slipped into the process? Did we vote for this under guise of 'better environment' legislation because I didn't read/comprehend the booklet or is this an interpretation/power grab by the agency?

And I paid approx $1800 for 40K service but that included a pre emptive water pump replacement.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
AP997S
Pro

Where did you hear or see such a ruling? I found the following; no mention of a TPMS ruling.

New California Vehicle Laws 2012

Child Booster Seat Law
The new California Booster Seat Law outlaws parents, guardians, or drivers from transporting on a highway in a motor vehicle any child under 8 years old without securing that child in an appropriate child restraint meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.

The new California law does contain a provision, however, that a child under 8 years of age who is 4'9" inches in height or taller may use a safety belt rather than a child safety seat or booster seat. Law effective January 1, 2012.

New DUI Law
Section 23579 has been added to the California Vehicle Code, which authorizes courts to revoke a driver's license for 10 years if a person is convicted of three or more DUIs. Motorists may apply for reinstatement of their license with the DMV after five years, if the driver installs an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in their vehicle.

New Double White Line Law
AB 1105 prohibits vehicles from crossing double parallel solid white lines in California, except where expressly permitted.

New Reckless Driving Restricted License Law
AB 520 allows California drivers convicted of reckless driving under Section 23103.5 of the Vehicle Code to apply for a restricted driver's license prior to the completion of their one-year suspension if they meet specific conditions, such as the installation of Ignition Interlock Device in their vehicle.

New DUI Checkpoint Vehicle Impound Law
AB 353 prohibits law enforcement officers from impounding a vehicle for 30 days at a DUI checkpoint if the only offense is failing to hold a valid driver license.

Phil
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S
Where did you hear or see such a ruling? I found the following; no mention of a TPMS ruling.

New California Vehicle Laws 2012

Child Booster Seat Law
The new California Booster Seat Law outlaws parents, guardians, or drivers from transporting on a highway in a motor vehicle any child under 8 years old without securing that child in an appropriate child restraint meeting federal motor vehicle safety standards.

The new California law does contain a provision, however, that a child under 8 years of age who is 4'9" inches in height or taller may use a safety belt rather than a child safety seat or booster seat. Law effective January 1, 2012.

New DUI Law
Section 23579 has been added to the California Vehicle Code, which authorizes courts to revoke a driver's license for 10 years if a person is convicted of three or more DUIs. Motorists may apply for reinstatement of their license with the DMV after five years, if the driver installs an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) in their vehicle.

New Double White Line Law
AB 1105 prohibits vehicles from crossing double parallel solid white lines in California, except where expressly permitted.

New Reckless Driving Restricted License Law
AB 520 allows California drivers convicted of reckless driving under Section 23103.5 of the Vehicle Code to apply for a restricted driver's license prior to the completion of their one-year suspension if they meet specific conditions, such as the installation of Ignition Interlock Device in their vehicle.

New DUI Checkpoint Vehicle Impound Law
AB 353 prohibits law enforcement officers from impounding a vehicle for 30 days at a DUI checkpoint if the only offense is failing to hold a valid driver license.
Some of those and the TPMS law that's Kalifornia protecting us.

P.S. - Are there any solid double white lines in the state? Aren't they all yellow? The rule applies to yellow for sure, but if the new law says white... maybe crossing the double solid yellow is allowed.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S

New California Vehicle Laws 2012...
From industry insiders.

I guess soon is relative. The TPMS for smog law is expected to hit the books in 2014.

Phil
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
AP997S
Pro

From industry insiders.

I guess soon is relative. The TPMS for smog law is expected to hit the books in 2014.

Phil
I guess the correct thing to do would be to 'write to your Congressman' but we all know those idiots in Sacramento have their heads way to far up their ******** to hear you.

Quick Reply: P-car thrills and bills..!!