Sponsored by:

Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I don't think gunk diluted with kerosine will harm any external engine parts because they all are designed to withstand gas and oil from engine leaks.
I have never had a problem using Gunk for over 55 years. YMMV
The petroleum distillates would be harmful to rubber/plastic parts over time. Isn't Gunk petroleum based?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Simple Green - maybe not a good idea

Originally Posted by mdrums
Just be careful...you do not want you drive moisture down into electrical connections. >>>
I've been using Simple a green since the late 80's to wash engines because it is non-caustic and does not harm rubber.
Hey Mike - great advice about protecting your electrical system.

RE Simple Green (and Purple Power as well)
These are absolutely corrosive to aluminum.
Simple Green has a caution stating that the product can be used safely on aluminum. However that statement is more about mitigating damage (IMHO) than it is about truly safe use.
The AOPA has recommended against using it. And a couple of specialized military maintenance divisions have apparently banned it.

Since there are so many alternatives, I don't use the stuff at all on my car, ever.

Who knows. Maybe it'd take a long time to do real damage. But aluminum degrades quickly. So, for me, 'Why risk it?'.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had very good results with S-100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I've used it for years on my motorcycles and car engines.

David
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Hey Rennlist Tom, thanks for the info on Simple Green. I'm always learning something here on Rennlist.

I guess it's hard to find a good cleaner degreaser that doesn't harm rubber and plastic too.

BMWDavid... S100 Total Cycle Clearner is a nice idea too. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The importance of keeping an engine bay clean is appreciated more as a car gets older. It affords you the opportunity of seeing seeps or leaks earlier. I use brake cleaner on strictly metal parts (not painted) and Gunk for others (easier on plastics). You may be too late however. Keeping an engine clean starts from the beginning. It's far easier to keep an engine clean when you have only 12 months of grime to remove--than 5 years of it.
thats generally more for the bottom than the top. You can't see much of anything from the topside regardless of how clean it is.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Use P21S Total Auto Wash All Purpose Degreaser. Its safe for all surfaces. It wont harm aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber, rubber hoses, belts, wires. It will make the engine look like new
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
The petroleum distillates would be harmful to rubber/plastic parts over time. Isn't Gunk petroleum based?
Car engine parts are made of neoprene which is not affected by petroleum.
The plastics used are also not affected. If you were the engineer designing and engine that was bound to have grease oil and gas spilled and leaked on it what would you spec. I'm pretty sure those German engineers are at least as good as I am.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Car engine parts are made of neoprene which is not affected by petroleum.
The plastics used are also not affected. If you were the engineer designing and engine that was bound to have grease oil and gas spilled and leaked on it what would you spec. I'm pretty sure those German engineers are at least as good as I am.
The rubber I'm talking about is the hoses on the engine. Those are not neoprene. Coolant, air conditioner, rubber boots over electrical connectors.
I never second guessed Porsche engineers.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Mike
Seems like most of the pro detailers use the P21S product for cleaning engines.
I've not used it, so no personal experience. But they make very good stuff, so I'd trust the brand.
Not to hijack this thread, but -
I saw your post RE the ArmourAll Wheel Treatment. Thanks. Good info. I need to try that stuff. How's the application process? Best to remove wheels? Not necessary? Any special considerations other than making sure the surface is dry?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rennlist TomE, see the thread on Brake Dust Gone!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
Hey Mike
Seems like most of the pro detailers use the P21S product for cleaning engines.
I've not used it, so no personal experience. But they make very good stuff, so I'd trust the brand.
Not to hijack this thread, but -
I saw your post RE the ArmourAll Wheel Treatment. Thanks. Good info. I need to try that stuff. How's the application process? Best to remove wheels? Not necessary? Any special considerations other than making sure the surface is dry?
Just spray it on clean dry wheels.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Ags 911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had phenomenal results with P21S Total car wash. I use it on all my engines. Follow directions on this as you spray onto a cool engine. I work the tough to get to areas and soiled areas with a $.99 painters brush. Rinse and use blower to dry. I then take for a nice little spin for final dry. All of your engine will look great. My local Ferrari and Lamborghini guys put me onto this after they showed up to events with incredibly clean and restored looking engines.

Quick Reply: Engine Cleaning