Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about sport seat comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about sport seat comfort?

Hey Guys,

Here's the question and the reason for my post - its about the comfort of sport seats. I have heard from the dealer at Millennium Motors that sport seats are not comfortable on long trips. Not comfy for more than a couple of hours he says. Of course the cars I'm interested in are just right "except" they have sport seats. So what do you guys that have comfort seats or the standard buckets say? What do you guys that have sport seats say? Anyone had both that can comment?

Thanks everyone!
Tim

Last edited by tbrom; 07-06-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

The longest I've driven in my sport seats is about 4 or 5 hours. They caused no problems at all.

Also note that there's a difference between "sport seats" and "sport bucket seats." The buckets are deeper and (I believe) have slots for a harness. They may not be as comfortable, but I don't have first hand experience.

Here's an awesome pic showing the differences:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...comparison.jpg
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I have the Adaptive Sport Seats.
Drove from Toronto to Hershey, PA for the Easter PCA swap meet.
With border delay, 9 hours down and 7 hours back.
No issues at all. Mind you, I did stop for gas and p-breaks a few times but nothing to do with sitting for so long.
Actually I was surprised how comfortable they actually were.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim -- I have the comfort seats and I have never had any issues with them. I am 6'3"/195lbs and can always find a position that works. That said, I don't often go on trips for extended periods, so I would love to get a set of sport seats. Unfortunately I can't find any in terracotta. By chance does the car you are looking at have a terracotta interior? Well, I suppose it never hurts to ask.

Sean
Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the sport seats. Not the comfort. Not the ***. Not the GT3 sport bucket seats. Mine are only motorized on the recline. Manual forward and reverse. Have a pump handle to raise and lower manually. I love them. Simple is good. Simpler is better. I will get these on my next 911. Would get them on a Cayenne if I could. Have gone 7 hours in them. Could go longer.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the 14-way adjustable sport seats. I find they're not all that comfortable. I've taken a number of trips on the order of 10 hours and spent much of the trip constantly adjusting them. I've taken the same trips in my Jeep Wranger Rubicon and not adjusted the seats once. Strangely the crappy seats in my Jeep are more comfortable to my back than my Porsche seats.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

manual-adjust sport seats here... I've done 2 600-mile days and 3 400-mile days.

took most of the first 400-mile day to figure out how to get them set "just right" but after that, no biggie...

I've driven FAR worse.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I have the sport seats. Not the comfort. Not the ***. Not the GT3 sport bucket seats. Mine are only motorized on the recline. Manual forward and reverse. Have a pump handle to raise and lower manually. I love them. Simple is good. Simpler is better. I will get these on my next 911. Would get them on a Cayenne if I could. Have gone 7 hours in them. Could go longer.
I have the same sport seats. At first, I was not happy with them, but after I found the best seat position for me, I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are really comfortable seats that hold you snug like they should. I took a 5 hour trip this weekend and I never had any discomfort whatsoever.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both the manual comfort seats and adaptive sport seats. Both are good, but I find the sport seats to be more comfortable. I've driven 400 miles in them with no issues at all.

You often hear people say that a particular option is a "must have" for them. A comfortable seat will make a difference every time you get in the car, and should be a priority when you are looking for a used car or ordering new. Fortunately, Porsche gives us many options. Try them all and then be patient, there are lots of cars out there.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM
tbrom
Racer

Hey,

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. When I looked at the seats that mgordon18 sent me it looked like the only difference to my eye at least was that the sports seats had a slightly more snug fit in the seat and the backs really looked almost identical except for a little bulge at the top of the seat back - I am now thinking that the car I've found is probably a good fit for me. It's a 2010 Carrera S with CPO and two options that I really like - sports chrono and PASM. It is a PDK car which is what I've been looking for. It may just work out. As soon as it happens I'll send pics to the group.

Thanks again....
Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

It's very subjective to your body type, shape... only way to say 100% is to sit in one.

The seat itself shouldn't be a problem, but if you have broad shoulders, the bolsters may become uncomfortable after a long drive.

100% goto a dealership or a Porsche event and sit into a cpl of different seats to see for yourself.

Last edited by alexb76; 07-07-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

and really, you need to sit in it for a couple hours....

the biggest culprit for most (IMO) is lowering the seat too far.

bring the cushion up, give your hammies and lower-back a break.

there's a reason my Jeep is stupidly-comfortable for long periods... very "upright/natural" seating position.

its not great on body-motion-control, but you can't have everything!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

and really, you need to sit in it for a couple hours....

the biggest culprit for most (IMO) is lowering the seat too far.

bring the cushion up, give your hammies and lower-back a break.

there's a reason my Jeep is stupidly-comfortable for long periods... very "upright/natural" seating position.

its not great on body-motion-control, but you can't have everything!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove 12 hours with just fuel and restroom stops with the Sport Seats and I loved them, after sitting in both them and comfort ones the Sport Seats became a Must Have option for me.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
mikes603
Intermediate

Never bothered me on 4+ hr rides. Then again, I'm mostly ok with shells as well.

Quick Reply: Question about sport seat comfort?