Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 997.2 advice

Hi guys,?

found an 09 cab with 60kmiles for cheap... any issues I should be worried about?
or should i just look away? 6 speed manual my favorite combo grey/sand
I've had 2 997S, but no experience with 997.2 direct injection and all
any advice will be appreciated, and yeah i know about cpo, i gues another $4k wont hurt..lol

thanks!!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Variable oil consumption seems to be a major topic of discussion, any way of finding out for this car ?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

i should be used to oil consumption, since Ive had turbos and Cayennes..lol
thanks!! yes i'll asked for service records..
Old 12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
Hi guys,?

found an 09 cab with 60kmiles for cheap... any issues I should be worried about?
or should i just look away? 6 speed manual my favorite combo grey/sand
I've had 2 997S, but no experience with 997.2 direct injection and all
any advice will be appreciated, and yeah i know about cpo, i gues another $4k wont hurt..lol

thanks!!
None that occur to me that wouldn't apply to any Porsche and you've bought these before, Alex. So far, my own dot two has been nothing but extremely satisfying and that pretty much summarizes all the comments from other dot two owners. The "oil consumption issue" is only a topic of discussion, not a problem among owners of the car. That mileage is reasonable for a daily driver. I have half that much on mine and I'm an old retired coot. But 60k is also enough to explain why you see it offered for a relatively low price compared to all the low-mileage examples.

I'd say do your normal "due diligence" when buying an exotic car like ours, the PPI and so forth, and if nothing specific to this example turns up, then enjoy it. Especially in that beautiful color combo.

Gary
Old 12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

thanks Gary.. it will be my daily also.. i might sell the 09 boxster..not sure yet.. it was a trade for a GT@ but i made the offer will find out this weekend..cause i know theyre just gonna wholesale this car.. might as well beat the wholesaler by $500 before that happens.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 PM
tbrom
Racer

Great color combo - that would be a favorite of mine - good luck. Hope it all works out in your favor! Will be waiting to hear about the good deal and see pics too! Sounds like a Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Not much to add to what Gary already said above. Your concern will be with the condition of the individual car; nothing about the .2 in general that should scare you away. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

No issues with mine. I'd get a ppi given the miles. My car's oil use has gone down dramatically after the first 5000 miles. Haven't had to top it up. Had 2 year service 3000 miles ago and no additional oil needed since.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

My experience with the oil consumption totally mirrors Rodsky's. No oil consumption issues whatsoever after the first 5K miles. Have not topped of oil for a loooong time. I have not had any serious issues on the first year PDK equipped car. Get a good PPI w/ paint meter check, DME readout (if nonPDK car) and then CPO would be the icing on the cake. The HPFP should have been changed since there was a recall for it.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
My experience with the oil consumption totally mirrors Rodsky's. No oil consumption issues whatsoever after the first 5K miles. Have not topped of oil for a loooong time. I have not had any serious issues on the first year PDK equipped car. Get a good PPI w/ paint meter check, DME readout (if nonPDK car) and then CPO would be the icing on the cake. The HPFP should have been changed since there was a recall for it.
Mine is definitely using oil. Doesn't seem terribly excessive but enough where I finally got around to getting a good baseline to go by. Just turned to 10K miles on the dial and poured a full quart in. The reading was one bar from the bottom and the quart brought it to one bar short of full. What's the acceptable consumption again? A quart for each 600 miles?

Only other issue is with the PDK which now and then won't shift from first to second in auto sport mode. I'm in manual mode 90% of the time so it's a nuisance issue more than anything else and easily dealt with by overriding it with manual input but a bug nonetheless. I asked the sm at the dealer if this might be something simple to fix. The answer: "Nothing is "simple" with the PDK".
Old 12-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Only other issue is with the PDK which now and then won't shift from first to second in auto sport mode. I'm in manual mode 90% of the time so it's a nuisance issue more than anything else and easily dealt with by overriding it with manual input but a bug nonetheless. I asked the sm at the dealer if this might be something simple to fix. The answer: "Nothing is "simple" with the PDK".
You mean it sometimes won't upshift at all from 1st to 2nd in sport (not sport plus)? Never experienced that. I assume you'll take it in under warranty; please post when you find out the problem......
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You mean it sometimes won't upshift at all from 1st to 2nd in sport (not sport plus)? Never experienced that. I assume you'll take it in under warranty; please post when you find out the problem......
That's exactly right. I've watched it approach redline in first with no indication of getting into second......in sport mode. Not sport plus where that would be expected. This will be difficult to get fixed since it's not easily duplicated. Only happens on occasion and you probably know how intermittent issues are dealt with by most dealers. Unable to duplicate/diagnose = no case.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Mine is definitely using oil. Doesn't seem terribly excessive but enough where I finally got around to getting a good baseline to go by. Just turned to 10K miles on the dial and poured a full quart in. The reading was one bar from the bottom and the quart brought it to one bar short of full. What's the acceptable consumption again? A quart for each 600 miles?

Wow that PDK issue is odd. I'd definitely have them deal with it. Never have that. So if you hit redline it still stays in first?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

I wonder if resetting ECU memory by disconnecting battery for a few minutes would help ?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:29 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it thinks it is in manual?

Quick Reply: 997.2 advice