Sponsored by:

911 named most reliable 10 y.o. car in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 911 named most reliable 10 y.o. car in Germany

At least that's according to the TUV. Feel free to send link to posters worried about impending IMS failures.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s/#more-421764
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, but it doesn't make me feel any more or less worried.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Stoppy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that's a good thing.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just a terrible headline. The TUV has absolutely nothing to do with reliability. Nobody is taking a car with a blown engine in for their TUV inspection.

Sure, it's not bad to see the 911 on top, but it's more a reflection of the fact the owners take good care of them, fixing little things like burnt out light bulbs that would show up as defects on the TUV inspection.

ps. I really don't like TTAC. Far too often the "truth" about cars is actually the ignorant distortion about cars.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're probably more reliable than most cars after 10 years because so many of them have relatively low mileage after 10 years. It would be more interesting to know how reliable a 911 with 150K miles on the odometer is compared to other 150K mile cars.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
It's just a terrible headline. The TUV has absolutely nothing to do with reliability. Nobody is taking a car with a blown engine in for their TUV inspection.

Sure, it's not bad to see the 911 on top, but it's more a reflection of the fact the owners take good care of them, fixing little things like burnt out light bulbs that would show up as defects on the TUV inspection.

ps. I really don't like TTAC. Far too often the "truth" about cars is actually the ignorant distortion about cars.

Absolutely.

TUEV is a state inspection of the car, not a car service facility.
A very detail focused, stringent inspection, but still only an inspection.
The issues they see only indicate that drivers went to inspection with those problems on their vehicles.

Whether or not the same defects are exhibited on other cars, and the owners just had them fixed before going to inspection is not knowable by TUEV.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

TUV has very tough regulations regarding the safety of motorized vehicles use on public German roads. It is not "an inspection station" like those you are familiar with at the sate level in the US. It more akin to our DOT. I used to deal with them, and believe me they have teeth, and they do bite. If you product does not pass THEIR testing against THEIR regulations, you not pass go and you do not sell your product.

Annual testing of road cars is only a small percentage of what they do. In European countries, governments have annual testing regimes that will find the weakest excuse for you to make a repair. In Japan, their government make the test so difficult to pass without a lot of expensive (sometimes unnecessary repairs) that it is not economical to keep a car beyond 5 years. For this reason their automobile population turns over very quickly and keeps the factories humming to meet domestic sales needs.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, TUEV is indeed more than just car inspections.. they are the State DoT, US federal DoT, and Underwriter Labs all rolled into one, working with a German focus and zeal.

But the only data TUEV is going to have access to is what they collect form cars that visit just the 'inspection station' side of things. I don't think (but maybe they are) that dealers send warranty and non-warranty repair data to TUEV. And its THAT data that one needs to compare brands and models for reliability. Otherwise you are just testing the attention to detail of the person bringing in their car.

Quick Reply: 911 named most reliable 10 y.o. car in Germany