Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate brake dust- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the Hawk pad reference. Reducing brake dust would be heaven!
It seems that you are very satisfied with the performance. Have you tried tracking with these?

I might do that + Armor All or similar!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbst09
I installed the Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads HB667Z.622 on my 997.2 CS and the amount of brake dust is about 80% less than I had before. Previously the fronts would be twice as dirty as the rears. I only installed the Hawk Pads on the fronts only and now the rears are consistently much dirtier than the fronts. No squeal, very little dust, and braking performance is no different than the OEM pads I had on there. I had tried the armorall wheel protectant as well as Rejex, both made cleaning easier but I was interested in reducing the amount of brake dust vs. making cleaning easier. I now plan to switch the rear pads to Hawk Ceramic pads as well once the weather warms up a bit.

BTW - no affiliation
Where did you purchase the pads?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got them on Amazon and they $129.35 with free shipping. There may be better prices out there, I just purchased through Amazon because I love Amazon (no affiliation) for the ease of use. Correction: I paid $137.43 on 1/29/14 and they are now $129.35 grrrrrr.

fyi, do not pay to attention to the note on Amazon that they will not fit a 997.2 C2S, for some reason there is an error in the system and it will show that it is not the right fit but I checked with directly with Hawk as well as a few other sources and it does fit. I compared these pads to the OEM pads and they are exactly the same shape and size as the OEM pads for my 2009 C2S.

I have not tracked them yet, I am due to go to my first track event in May. I did however do the bedding in process with repeated hard stops from 70+ mph 6 or 7 times in a row and the pads seemed to work very well.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

I can confirm the the Hawk Ceramics are great for reducing the appearance of brake dust. I used them on my BMW 335i and on my 2006 C4 and saw great improvements. I still haven't made the switch on the 2009 I bought three months ago since I had other upgrade priorities first but they are on the short list.

Here's what I've learned about those pads from a variety of sources including direct observation: Ceramic still throws off some dust, but ceramic dust is less sticky than the dust from conventional pads and doesn't adhere to the wheels as easily. What does stick there is more grey than black so its much less obvious it is there. I've never noticed any additional noise like I've seen a couple of posts over the years mention, but I'm guessing they didn't properly install the pads with the noise-dampening shims.

They are well worth the money in my opinion. As a matter of fact, now that this post has me thinking about it, I'm probably going to order my set this week.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 PM
BogdanR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Oh, come on. It can't be. I see many 911's on the road with dirty wheels. All those who agree with me must not be members of this forum. There has got to be another forum out there where people love both 911's and dirty rims.
I second that. 911s belong on the road and the roads are dirty...
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's what I've learned about those pads from a variety of sources including direct observation: Ceramic still throws off some dust, but ceramic dust is less sticky than the dust from conventional pads and doesn't adhere to the wheels as easily. What does stick there is more grey than black so its much less obvious it is there.
Okay, I'm a little confused by this. My logic here, and maybe it is wrong, but a wheel on a car, rotating as the car is moving, generates friction as it passes through the air. This friction will cause the wheel to have a static charge. The static charge will cause particles to adhere to the wheel. (You can coat your wheels with various products that minimize static build-up or minimize dust adhering to the rim.) In addition to this, the dust that is drawn to the rim will be held there by centrifugal force (actually the inertia of motion by which an object following a curved path will move away from the center of inertia). So, would the actual dust from a ceramic pad have, as a chemical characteristic, less of a tendency to stick to the rim either while the wheel is in motion or once these forces are no longer acting upon it. Or does it really just come down to the fact that there is much less dust generated, or that which is is greyish in color? I dunno' perhaps i'm just over-thinking.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

Good questions in that last post Tcc1999. Here are my answers based on my observations: I'm certain that there is EITHER less dust in the first place OR the dust that is generated sticks less. The most important thing from the cosmetic viewpoint is that the net result is much less dust on the wheel. I had them on the BMW for about 2 years/30k miles before selling it, so I'm sure the wear rate is at least very good.

Any dust that is generated is much less obvious since it is reasonably close to the color of my wheels, but then... I have silver wheels. I guess the grey dust could be more of a problem for black wheels.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
I was wondering if there were any more long term testimonials regarding the Armor All product.
I applied a LIBERAL application on the inner barrels of my wheels and it's working well to keep the outside of the wheels cleaner. On the outside surface, after polishing, I used Zaino detailer and an inexpensive carnauba wax that I let cure for a while.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to the conversation, I put Hawk ceramics on my Mazda RX-8 possibly 6 or 7 years ago as a means of keeping the wheels cleaner. They did. The amazing thing is that they are still on the car. I only drive about 6 K miles per year, but that is a lot of stop and go traffic. WhenI started looking for an 911, I was test driving 996's and I kept thinking to myself, why does it seem like my RX-8 stops better than a 911? Then I remembered I had the Hawk's installed on front and rears.

The 997.2 Targa 4S I ended up buying (after almost tripling my budget) stops like no other car I've driven, but I will at some point put on Hawks. The more I think about it I am in shock the pads have lasted this long.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Hawk ceramic pads also. They produce noticeably less dust than the factory pads. The dust is light gray, so will not show up as much on silver wheels, but if you have black wheels it will show up quite a bit. I find the ceramic pads offer better braking than the factory ones.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

it seems then that the hawk ceramic pads, for those who want to reduce brake dust, are better with silver wheels than black or similar dark colored wheels. Phil, the oems have somewhat black dust….after going hawks, did you notice the dust more due to the color or still significantly cleaner even if they were more obvious in color.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Phil, the oems have somewhat black dust….after going hawks, did you notice the dust more due to the color or still significantly cleaner even if they were more obvious in color.
The dust is a mid to light gray. I have black rims so it stands out really easily. There is still some dust, but it is a lot less than with OEM. If I had silver rims it would stand out a lot less.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks bro.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Can someone post a link to these pads? I have a 2009 C2S. I don't want to purchase the wrong pads. Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB667Z.622 Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB667Z.622 Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

These are the exact pads you need. I had to call Hawk to confirm since Amazon does not list these as fitting. I have a 2009 C2S and they were an exact match when compared to the OEM pads.

Quick Reply: I hate brake dust- any tips?