997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Downside to the Dectane LED lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011 | 11:13 PM
jw1977
Pro

Default Any Downside to the Dectane LED lights?

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Dectane LED taillights. I've searched and haven's really seen any negative comments. Any reason not to pull the trigger? No one's had faults thrown have they?
Old 12-07-2011 | 11:36 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Some have had faults, which can be corrected by the resistor pack included in the set. Some see some condensation moving from cold to hot temps - like when they pull into a garage. Some have had problems communicating with Frank at Orange Tuning. The lights are very nice and easy to install.
Old 12-08-2011 | 12:56 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

I've tried to like it, but imho, it cheapens the look of the car. I've seen old Yukons, bro trucks, 3-series with these conversions and while the dectane units may be higher quality the premise remains the same - trying to tweak something that just makes you look like you're trying too hard.

You already drive a 911. That's well enough. If you want the latest lighting tech, then get the rest of the car that comes with it.

I mean 0 offense to those who spend their hard earned money on these ---- just my opinion here.
Old 12-08-2011 | 01:49 AM
jw1977
Pro

I get that with the other cars you mentioned where the led's don't look stock. These however look nearly identical and a prett cheap upgrade to the look of the car
Old 12-08-2011 | 09:35 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

That's why they make different flavors of ice cream! I like the modern look and the 997.1 was on the cusp of with/without LED technology. It's 5 mins to switch back and I would guess that someone will take them off your hands if you agree with aero after the fact.
Old 12-08-2011 | 10:06 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

I do not get it. Why bother?

Mark
Old 12-08-2011 | 02:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I've tried to like it, but imho, it cheapens the look of the car. I've seen old Yukons, bro trucks, 3-series with these conversions and while the dectane units may be higher quality the premise remains the same - trying to tweak something that just makes you look like you're trying too hard.

You already drive a 911. That's well enough. If you want the latest lighting tech, then get the rest of the car that comes with it.

I mean 0 offense to those who spend their hard earned money on these ---- just my opinion here.
I'm in the same boat as you brother. maybe I'm just old, but on cars, I think the LED lights look like ****

oh, the christmas LEDs look ****ty too
Old 12-08-2011 | 02:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I'm in the same boat as you brother. maybe I'm just old, but on cars, I think the LED lights look like ****

oh, the christmas LEDs look ****ty too
I think the same, but the Dectane lights actually look really good and definitely improve the look of the car quite sifnificantly!
Old 12-08-2011 | 04:00 PM
louie007
Instructor

I agree with Alex as far as the look i was very happy cant say the same for the function of the lights mine fog up and Frank never did anything about it , not even return emails with the complaint .
Old 12-08-2011 | 04:28 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

for me - I just don't like the old school "rope lighting" effect it gives. I get it that LEDs give better lighting, require less energy, are more "green" etc., etc.

I just hate that old dance floor rope lighting look

it isn't right or wrong - purely subjective
Old 12-08-2011 | 06:13 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

let me clarify my line of thought... i love factory LED lighting. if you read my post trail, you'll see that i was almost convinced to get the dectanes. just.

LEDs give designers much greater freedom to form the aesthetic. i love how the A7 and new CLS light up the nite. what i'm looking forward to though is true LED infused design like the Aston One77's rear. if a car comes optioned with HIDs and the LEDs are extra, the actual end product remains constricted by the HID bulk. but if that model only comes equipped with LEDs, then you have design freedom to really make the lighting a part of the car's visuals. check out the new dodge challenger. crazy.

aston one77. beautiful.

991. m Mauer went with smaller rears to showcase the LED design advantage. the fronts need more time to develop since low beam LED tech is still priced out of the market save for the select few models (actually, i don't know of one model that comes standard with LED headlights today).

the 997.2 update was just a tweak to something that really wasn't necessary. it's a freshened up look with the tear drop so why not add LEDs? but ultimately it's a very conventional, predictable update and i just don't like the idea of upgrading a good set of lights originally sketched at a time where LED economics were just not ready for mass-production (i.e. $$$s)

my logic, however irrational it may come across, is the more "prestigious" the vehicle, the less you should muck around with it. thus, no dectanes or anything like that for me. sticking with the original parts it came with here. wheels are a different story. ymmv.

Quick Reply: Any Downside to the Dectane LED lights?