Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The use of spacers...... engineering minds welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011 | 03:37 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Default The use of spacers...... engineering minds welcome.

I know that tons of people are out there currently using spacers (including some race teams (and most people running CCW's because of brake clearance))

my question is what are the thoughts regarding bolted on spacers with pressed studs versus a simple spacer with extended lugs?

**if both spacers are made to proper spec and hubcentric**

i feel that the bolted on spacer gives more security, but double the bolts create double the failure points..

i feel that extended studs possibly put more stress on the lug bolts which could lead to failure?

is there a better choice in the matter? does the age old rule of "the weight rests on the hub therefore the lugs only hold the lateral force of holding the wheel to the hub" mean that both are viable options and the one with least failure points ideal?

obviously the best choice would be ordering wheels with the proper brake spacing, but this cannot always be done.
Old 12-06-2011 | 03:43 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Ive never seen or heard of lugs that were broken
Old 12-06-2011 | 05:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Track guys running CCW's don't need or use spacers...I never did with my CCW's.
Old 12-09-2011 | 02:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

The same can be said for most of the better wheels out there.. I have used Forgelines on my last eight cars. All of the Forgelines were built to order with the proper offset. Therefore no spacers. Spacers are a pain to deal with at the track.
Old 12-22-2011 | 10:45 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Porsche offers OEM bolt on spacers for the wide bodied 993s... I think for 997 too? The lot ons are quite well made, Wouldnt be concerned...
Old 12-23-2011 | 01:52 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
Track guys running CCW's don't need or use spacers...I never did with my CCW's.
maybe depends on car, i know john purner and have been to their place a few times and most of the track cars that order classic's they add spacers because their centers dont come in various back pads.
Old 12-23-2011 | 04:02 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Don't worry about spacers. Installed 5mm/14mm f/r on my GTS and they work just fine. Have AutoXed several times without incident or issue. Get hubcentric for 10mm or above. Less than 10mm, say 5-7mm dont have enough meat to make hubcentric, they are just spacers, but at that thickness they allow part of the hub to protrude and capture the wheel. Whatever trhickness you choose make sure you get extended length bolts.

BTW, they look great too.
Old 12-23-2011 | 04:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by rijowysock
maybe depends on car, i know john purner and have been to their place a few times and most of the track cars that order classic's they add spacers because their centers dont come in various back pads.
I've only seen the classics on a couple of older 997 Grand Am cars....most all use the Corsair but now are using either BBS or Forgeline.

Quick Reply: The use of spacers...... engineering minds welcome.