Consumer Reports...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Consumer Reports...

"Consumer Reports poses a simple question to vehicle owners every year: "Considering all factors (price, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.), would you get this car if you had it to do all over again?"

In spite of its simplicity, this question is probably most indicative of owner satisfaction with their vehicles. Knowing which vehicles owners answered "yes" to is a powerful resource for new car shoppers.

For 2011, droves of Chevrolet Volt owners – 93% to be exact – said that they would still buy the plug-in hatchback if they had to do it all over again, putting the Volt in first place among all vehicles. Second and third place went to the Dodge Challenger and Porsche 911, which each had a rating of 91%."

Origin: http://autos.aol.com/article/chevrol...ncid=webmail12
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

of course Volts owner said they would do it all over again, they have to feel good about themselves!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The other 9%? Would have gone with a Boxster instead
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't even rent a Challenger a second time.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am glad you posted that although I got flamed a bit in another thread for defending CR's auto reliability ratings. Apparently there are other 911 drivers in addition to me who participate in their surveys.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not a well posed question. In survey after survey, humans show an innate need to defend their decisions, even bad ones, to the point of irrationality. This effect is stronger the closer someone is to the decision, and the bigger the decision. The motivation is that admitting to a bad decision might make me look dumb. Its very hard for people to admit an error in judgment, just ask my wife. (Please don't.)

Add that to the fact that Volt owners are early adopters and niche buyers, and it makes sense. Early adopters trade are wiling to trade trouble-free ownership for being 1st. Cars, cell phones, consumer technology, it's the same mindset, "I'll put up with the bugs in v1.0 to be first."

Similarly, niche buyers make decisions with quality secondary. Environmental impact, domestic pride, styling, bragging rights, may distort the decision and satisfaction. Challenger buyers probably prioritize hairy-chested American muscle. Porsche buyers have their own agenda. The point is that putting Volt-Challenger-911 together is apples v oranges. A 911 owner won't be more satisfied with a Challenger.

So its interesting, but surprisingly uninformative and lacking in rigor from the folks at CR, who take themselves very seriously.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear sales of the Chevy Volt are absolutely on fire!

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM
kosmo
Race Director

hardy....
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hpowders
I hear Chevy Volts are absolutely on fire!
Fixed it for you.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

WOW....this is pretty funny....asking Volt owners who made the decision to buy a dopey sh*tbox that in some cases has caught on fire and they say "Hey....no problem.......sure I'd do it again!"

Gives you some insight into who buys them in the first place

Tom
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Don't believe everything you read in the media about the Volt. Those that have actually really compared them against similar offerings find it to be the best overall package. Not that I would buy one but I wouldn't under estimate American cars these days.

As far as buying another new Boxster, I would definitely without hesitation do it all over again if I had the choice. I'm curious where there Boxster landed in their report.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by acao
That's not a well posed question. In survey after survey, humans show an innate need to defend their decisions, even bad ones, to the point of irrationality. This effect is stronger the closer someone is to the decision, and the bigger the decision. The motivation is that admitting to a bad decision might make me look dumb. Its very hard for people to admit an error in judgment, just ask my wife. (Please don't.)

Add that to the fact that Volt owners are early adopters and niche buyers, and it makes sense. Early adopters trade are wiling to trade trouble-free ownership for being 1st. Cars, cell phones, consumer technology, it's the same mindset, "I'll put up with the bugs in v1.0 to be first."

Similarly, niche buyers make decisions with quality secondary. Environmental impact, domestic pride, styling, bragging rights, may distort the decision and satisfaction. Challenger buyers probably prioritize hairy-chested American muscle. Porsche buyers have their own agenda. The point is that putting Volt-Challenger-911 together is apples v oranges. A 911 owner won't be more satisfied with a Challenger.

So its interesting, but surprisingly uninformative and lacking in rigor from the folks at CR, who take themselves very seriously.
very true
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
LPE383
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point is that putting Volt-Challenger-911 together is apples v oranges. A 911 owner won't be more satisfied with a Challenger.

Not sure this is correct either, as the comparison is not owners pref of other cars, but of thier own.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR is a source of biased information. To begin, they sample people from CR's list. Then they ask very open-ended questions that may receive an affirmation or denial based upon the sample's interpretation of the intent

Whenever CR does some type of test about something I am very familiar or conversant, the odds are very high that I shake my head in wonder as to how they obtained the conclusion.

Without any intent of disrespect to those here who may agree more often with CR, I think they should stick to rating toasters and vacuum cleaners...

As far as the Volt; early attempts at new technology are often bizarre and trying. Just is and we should all be accepting. The Government induced jiggling of the product is what irritates me.

FWIW, I have a deposit on the new Tesla sedan. I will await early reports (no, not CR) before I execute delivery however.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i am all for electric vehicles when they will finally make same set of batteries based on micro-film layer structure that they use in military and space industry now. when those cars will go 300 miles from a single charge and will take 4-5 hours to charge only i will be all aboard.

based on how often i have to replace li-ion batteries in my laptops i do not want this technology in the $40k car. it is a waste of money and time.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports...