Sponsored by:

"Porsche Every Day" not so much

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:01 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Porsche Every Day" not so much

Ok I know this is the new ad campaign from Porsche--but.... I have a comment on this. I love my car but in the daily grind it's basically a pain in the ***. Yesterday it took me almost an hour of slogging through an hour of traffic to travel eight miles to my house from my office. Between the potholes and the plodding through second gear maximum speed it was not enjoyable. My Chevy Tahoe is a better tool. I don't want my Porsche to be sitting in the garage for only special occasions but in an urban environment this is not fun. Also, before you guys dismiss me as not a sports car guy I'm approaching 200k miles on BMW motorcycles in travel around the world--I know lack of comfort. I'm just trying to figure out the solution as daily driver. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New York Metro area daily driver 997.2 -5th in a series of porsches. I would not trade that anyday (except snow days that is) for the on ramp and off ramp that are part of my commute. I take this car to Manhattan regularly as well, taxis pothole the whole works I will admit PDK is also a blessing in traffic. Austin isn't urban I've been there! You drive 10 minutes and you're in the middle of nowhere traveling at 80 mph going for some bbq. Maybe you should change your commute times?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DWF
Ok I know this is the new ad campaign from Porsche--but.... I have a comment on this. I love my car but in the daily grind it's basically a pain in the ***. Yesterday it took me almost an hour of slogging through an hour of traffic to travel eight miles to my house from my office. Between the potholes and the plodding through second gear maximum speed it was not enjoyable. My Chevy Tahoe is a better tool. I don't want my Porsche to be sitting in the garage for only special occasions but in an urban environment this is not fun. Also, before you guys dismiss me as not a sports car guy I'm approaching 200k miles on BMW motorcycles in travel around the world--I know lack of comfort. I'm just trying to figure out the solution as daily driver. Thank you.
I commute 45 miles a day in Austin and love it...admittedly i leave the house at 6:30 an return home at 3:30 but the commute is great.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peterm
New York Metro area daily driver 997.2 -5th in a series of porsches. I would not trade that anyday (except snow days that is) for the on ramp and off ramp that are part of my commute. I take this car to Manhattan regularly as well, taxis pothole the whole works I will admit PDK is also a blessing in traffic. Austin isn't urban I've been there! You drive 10 minutes and you're in the middle of nowhere traveling at 80 mph going for some bbq. Maybe you should change your commute times?
Sorry disagree---Austin is routinely recognized as one of the worst traffic situations in the country including NYC and LA. If you're stopped for X amount of time on the commute it dosen't matter the location--- your'e not moving. You are correct-- once free of the snarl the reward of world class bbq is indeed calming. I'm fortunate in most instances that I can work around the congestion but if you have to deal with normal work hours I feel for you.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

I just had my car detailed today and it looks beautiful.....breathtakingly beautiful. The TB never looked richer or deeper and the natural brown interior looked like a Rawlings baseball glove I used to own...what a lovely car to drive every day of the year.

I would never ever consider putting this car to sleep for the winter....I don't care if I have to shift 100 times in one mile. The longer I'm in this car the more I love it....fast....slow....or stopped.

That's how I feel!

Tom
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Short of a trip that exceeds my Porsche's capabilities (cargo/people/terrain), there's nothing that could make me prefer driving a Chevy Tahoe to it. Not everyone is meant to drive a Porsche.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

I've been in Austin for a year, and to me, it's all about perspective. Prior to Austin I spent 9 or so years in Colorado where the roads suck beyond belief. I don't think the roads are ever maintained there, and the gravel in the winter is great at stripping paint off the car. In my opinion, the roads I commonly use in Austin are like glass compared to those I used frequently in Colorado. That's not to say that Austin doesn't have it's rough spots, but the one's I'm on most are great! I find I want to use the 911 more than I did in Colorado. I also live farther from work than I did in Co where a less than 3 mile round trip commute wouldn't put any heat in the motor. HW 183 can drag in the morning, but the ride after work is a blast.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 AM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Short of a trip that exceeds my Porsche's capabilities (cargo/people/terrain), there's nothing that could make me prefer driving a Chevy Tahoe to it. Not everyone is meant to drive a Porsche.
I think I might have shot at being "meant to drive a Porsche"--though I'm not sure what you're qualifications are. I really enjoy driving a car that is undoubtedly the finest handling car I have ever driven. The fit and finish of my car is unparalleled by any expensive car I have owned. I love standing in the garage and admiring the beautiful lines of the car--it's amazing. Having said all of that there are better vehicles for banging through urban environments than a stiffly sprung, manual shifting, sports car.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I've been in Austin for a year, and to me, it's all about perspective. Prior to Austin I spent 9 or so years in Colorado where the roads suck beyond belief. I don't think the roads are ever maintained there, and the gravel in the winter is great at stripping paint off the car. In my opinion, the roads I commonly use in Austin are like glass compared to those I used frequently in Colorado. That's not to say that Austin doesn't have it's rough spots, but the one's I'm on most are great! I find I want to use the 911 more than I did in Colorado. I also live farther from work than I did in Co where a less than 3 mile round trip commute wouldn't put any heat in the motor. HW 183 can drag in the morning, but the ride after work is a blast.
Fair enough. Good perspective. My commentary was on my commute from downtown on secondary roads to West Lake.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DWF
I think I might have shot at being "meant to drive a Porsche"--though I'm not sure what you're qualifications are. I really enjoy driving a car that is undoubtedly the finest handling car I have ever driven. The fit and finish of my car is unparalleled by any expensive car I have owned. I love standing in the garage and admiring the beautiful lines of the car--it's amazing. Having said all of that there are better vehicles for banging through urban environments than a stiffly sprung, manual shifting, sports car.
That's exactly what I mean--I truly disagree about preferring other cars even in urban environments. In fact, the Porsche is pretty much our family car--that is, there are often two adults, an 8-year-old, and a newborn in the car. I'm sure plenty of people think we're crazy, but if I'm driving and our stuff fits, we're in the 911.

I'm actually not sure that it rides any rougher than our Infiniti crossover, though it's true that it doesn't have quite as much room. To be fair, I've never been much of a 4-door sedan kind of guy and only drive one for work purposes.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DWF
Unlike others, I feel your pain. Remember in Econ 101 how the Prof. would use "UTILS" to describe an unknown quantity used to measure satisfaction? I love my car but I don't drive it nearly enough because I get ZERO satisfaction about using it for a three minute drive to Trader Joe's or a five minute drive to the Post Office. I drive our A4 because I can park it anywhere and don't worry a bit about it under any circumstances - it's just easier and I get more satisfaction from easy than driving in 2nd gear through too many stop signs and lights. Some people do get satisfaction very second they are in their 911 and that's great - that's just not how my brain works (and apparently yours as well). Drive your 911 when you can and enjoy it how you enjoy it without having to live up to how others think you should.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM
DWF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Unlike others, I feel your pain. Remember in Econ 101 how the Prof. would use "UTILS" to describe an unknown quantity used to measure satisfaction? I love my car but I don't drive it nearly enough because I get ZERO satisfaction about using it for a three minute drive to Trader Joe's or a five minute drive to the Post Office. I drive our A4 because I can park it anywhere and don't worry a bit about it under any circumstances - it's just easier and I get more satisfaction from easy than driving in 2nd gear through too many stop signs and lights. Some people do get satisfaction very second they are in their 911 and that's great - that's just not how my brain works (and apparently yours as well). Drive your 911 when you can and enjoy it how you enjoy it without having to live up to how others think you should.
Thank you. You pretty much nailed it and perhaps stated it better than I did. I even forgot about circling the parking lot looking for the ideal parking spot at the post office, etc. issue. I don't mean to veer off into the "it's not an exotic just drive it" discussion but as you say that's not how my brain works. Hell, I order my car wash from autogeek.com as my wife rolls her eyes.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

im with dwf and tcc here. just getting in the 911 doesn't make me happy. it's getting in the 911 in the right state of mind which is everything. blasting down the freeway in 4th gear giving it a few wots on my way to enjoy coffee at my fav cafe that has soccer on the teli is happiness to me than cold starting the porsche to pick-up a battery at the grocery store which does not allow me to get anywhere above 3-4k rpm (i.e. not up to temp).

i'm def not a hibernate for winter guy either as i'll always avoid living in places that have tons of snow.

i love sports cars, but i also love the feel and drive of a lifted truck.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

*I love my car but I don't drive it nearly enough because I get ZERO satisfaction about using it for a three minute drive to Trader Joe's or a five minute drive to the Post Office.
Some people do get satisfaction very second they are in their 911 and that's great - that's just not how my brain works (and apparently yours as well).
I agree, it sucks taking the 911 out on such a short trip. But, when my wife asks me to run down to the local market about a mile away to fetch some milk for her morning cereal, I usually get back about 45 minutes later. Same for errands to the post office, the vet, or wherever. She usually just laughs. But, like you said, I just think differently about short trips in the p-car.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I drive mine daily and love it.

Quick Reply: "Porsche Every Day" not so much