Sponsored by:

"Porsche Every Day" not so much

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
I enjoy my Porsche (and care enough about it) not to drive it to death like I did 2 previous Corvettes. I cover about 90 miles each workday (5-6 days each week = approx 26K miles/yr) on fairly open road so the Porsche would be a dream to drive every day. However, the day-to-day wear and tear on such a fine car, even one designed as well as the Porsche is, does take its toll. We all complain on the cost of maintenance and upkeep on our pride and joys, yet the cost of tires, for example, that are used up drivng normally in ~15K miles (rears) adds up at the rate of mileage I accumilate, and I DON'T go a full year between oil changes. This doesn't count the annual and critical mileage visits to the dealer to abide by the factory's maintenance schedules. When I do drive the Porsche, it is an unique event that I look forward to and fully enjoy it slow or fast. I think that if it was a daily driver it would lose some of its allure. I know everyone will jump on that, but even if you enjoy lobster and caviar, you wouldn't have it every day, even if you could.
What's interesting is driving the 911 everyday actually had the opposite effect on me you suggested. The allure of the car increased, the glove seemed to fit better. As I drive it more I feel like it's even starting to sound better and drive even smoother. The 997 is my first porsche and i'm really impressed.

So like any good drug I suppose the more you drive it the more addicted.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would drive me nuts as a daily, and I would appreciate it less. If it had to be my daily then I'd just give in and buy an M3 or M5.

My 911 is the perfect 3rd car, for me at least.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily. At the end of the second week (and likely looking at a third) with my car in the shop, it just reinforces the feeling for me. I admit that if I was in stop and go, I'd probably want a PDK.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 580 Posts

Daily. Appreciate it more the more I drive it.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
That's exactly what I mean--I truly disagree about preferring other cars even in urban environments. In fact, the Porsche is pretty much our family car--that is, there are often two adults, an 8-year-old, and a newborn in the car. I'm sure plenty of people think we're crazy, but if I'm driving and our stuff fits, we're in the 911.

I'm actually not sure that it rides any rougher than our Infiniti crossover, though it's true that it doesn't have quite as much room. To be fair, I've never been much of a 4-door sedan kind of guy and only drive one for work purposes.
Ditto. I suppose it depends to some extent on how your 997 is equipped, but with PASM in touring mode I find our car as comfortable in traffic as about anything except perhaps on a badly broken-up road in a sedan specifically designed to have a limousine ride. And when we've had those rented occasionally, the lack of road feel makes my wife carsick. I attribute it to the difference being so great between what she sees with an experienced driver's eye and what she actually feels. I sympathize because many pilots have the same response to 'flying' a simulator for instrument currency purposes. Sedans often have that 'disconnected' feel for me also.

In serious heavy traffic, which we have in California almost as bad as anywhere we saw around the world, I wouldn't say it's a continual pleasure to be shifting, or even sometimes just declutching 100 times per mile, but it certainly is smoother than an automatic, so I don't mind the extra effort for Cindy's sake.

When we get past the heavy traffic and it opens up to only a couple of hundred other cars per mile, then it's a Porsche again and it is a continual pleasure. And I'm not sure why it isn't a pleasure for short runs as well as it is for long runs. Time to settle in? Or ... Well, can't quite see that one. I drive ours around the block if an excuse arises.

Gary
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm looking for another 911 simply for the daily drive.

Life's way too short to be spending time in a commuter car you'd settle for.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Stoppy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mine every day, groceries and Lowes, 7 and 9 yr old to and from school, violin, girl scouts, etc. I have other wheels, but almost always prefer the P, unless I must take the truck.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Daily driver. When my wife and I go somewhere it is always in the Porsche. She has a Mazda 6,which I take only if I need to get something at Lowe's that won't fit in the Porsche... like 8' boards, tool boxes, etc.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

I drive mine everyday too, whether or not I have to go somewhere. The wife thinks it's too noisy and the car's vibrations put her to sleep.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
peterm
Racer

one additional comment I had - I once had a cab which really has 4 usable months here in NY and it really ticked me off when it was too cold to drop the top or the threat of rain. I found there were more days I was frustrated than happy.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

in last 2 weeks i drive my car every day to get kid to school, in start-stop traffic, after 3 first days i stop noticing all the clutch work and just enjoy this car, it really fits you like a tight glove and i just love that feeling.
as it will get colder i will get back into lexus, it is less painful to get in the traffic in it but it`s just too boring.and it is sad to deprive yourself from any little fun you can afford to have, imho.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Driving on crap roads requires driving something that can handle it. If the roads are crap you not gonna get away driving on them.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
in last 2 weeks i drive my car every day to get kid to school, in start-stop traffic, after 3 first days i stop noticing all the clutch work and just enjoy this car, it really fits you like a tight glove and i just love that feeling.
as it will get colder i will get back into lexus, it is less painful to get in the traffic in it but it`s just too boring.and it is sad to deprive yourself from any little fun you can afford to have, imho.
Ironic, when my daughter (10 years-old) whines enough about taking the Carrera to drop her off at school I totally tune out every aspect of the car. There are a number of studies that indicate the dead time while in the car is one of the few times that kids will open up and tell you about what is really on their minds (the other time being before bed). Inasmuch as the car is fun to drive, it's not nearly as interesting as talking with my kid.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Ironic, when my daughter (10 years-old) whines enough about taking the Carrera to drop her off at school I totally tune out every aspect of the car. There are a number of studies that indicate the dead time while in the car is one of the few times that kids will open up and tell you about what is really on their minds (the other time being before bed). Inasmuch as the car is fun to drive, it's not nearly as interesting as talking with my kid.
Do you remember that 911 TV Ad from years ago, where a schoolgirl deliberately misses the morning school bus so that she’ll ride in her dad’s 911 as he’s forced to take her? And Dad doesn’t mind because he gets to spend a little more time with his daughter. Sounds you’re living it. And so am I: I am lucky enough to own a 911, have a beautiful family, a stupendous daughter, and lucky enough to ride with her from time to time, spending precious moments with her and, to a lesser extent, the car. Life is good, isn’t it?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
good for you - world needs more dads like you!

Quick Reply: "Porsche Every Day" not so much