Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four or Five point seat belt install??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four or Five point seat belt install??

Has anyone done an install of a four or five point harness for a 997 S coupe?
I did an install on my previous car but it was a pretty easy and straightforward installation but I suspect it would be a much larger and more complicated effort.

No roll cage..
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Has anyone done an install of a four or five point harness for a 997 S coupe?
I did an install on my previous car but it was a pretty easy and straightforward installation but I suspect it would be a much larger and more complicated effort.

No roll cage..
Four-point gets complicated because of laws about anti-submarining provisions. The upper belts must let your body incline forward so you can't slide under the lap belt. I saw a set at the last DE day, but the driver said it wasn't as satisfactory as he might wish because of that effect.

Five-point requires a hole in the seat. You can't run it over the front cushion of the stock seat. Probably for the same reason, but I've never inquired. Clearly, a man would just as soon not build up momentum sliding under the lap belt for ten or twelve inches before the crotch belt takes the weight. I like to ... uh, arrange things around that fifth belt while in the pits and the "hole in the seat" rule has that benefit even if it isn't their explicit intent.

Either type requires at least a harness bar of course. Someone noted recently that survivable accidents with a roll cage or with ordinary belts can leave you relatively dead if you're held upright by a five-pointer and end up using your spine as a roll bar.

The four-pointer that permits upper-body motion would solve that last problem, and it is more effective than a stock three-point belt, though not all could we wish.

If no one responds with personal experience I'll dig up the supplier I was considering for this purpose. They have a good website that discusses all these issues.

Gary
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I installed a 6 point Schroth harness in my 997.2 S. I use a Brey Krause harness bar and a Brey Krause sub strap mounting bar under the drivers seat. My seats are the 997 GT2/GT3 sport buckets with the pass throughs in the bottom cushion and in the seat back. Installation was straightforward; you just have to remove the driver's seat to mount the sub strap bar. Brey Krause makes a couple of styles of harness bar. If you have a Bose system like I do, you need to use the harness bar designed for the Cab. Clearance is close between the support bar and the seat backs on the sport buckets with the seats all the way back, but there are no issues with contact.

Gary's points about safety, harness bars versus roll bars, and mounting of the sub belt, are valid. Also, as you're no doubt aware, the shoulder belts shouldn't be routed around the seat back. As an autocrosser, I'm not too worried about rolling my car, so my belts are mainly to keep me located in my seat. If I were going to track my car on a regular basis, I'd go with a real roll bar.

http://bkauto.com/porsche/r9032.php

http://bkauto.com/porsche/harness_mo...es_porsche.php

Quick Reply: Four or Five point seat belt install??