Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Removal For Winter ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Is there a window in your storage space? If so, there are solar chargers available that would do exactly what you need.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 PM
SevenCostanza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't remove the battery! The car will explode! Seriously, myself and several friends have all replaced our batteries with no ill effects. I don't know if leaving it out of the car for an extended period of time makes any difference.....but short-term removal just gives you some warning lights that go away in about ten seconds.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warning Will Robinson... danger danger

Seriously, leave the front bonnet ajar. Otherwise you will have to go through a PITA of a drill with a fresh battery just to get it open to put your battery back in!

Otherwise, I have left the battery out, completely for several weeks with no ill effects. However, the wiring could be different across the Pond. Listen to the tech in all cases cuz we don't know as much as we think in all cases.

Any chance you can go turn her over and run for 30 min or so every few weeks???
Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Is there a window in your storage space? If so, there are solar chargers available that would do exactly what you need.
No such luck JW, but i'm going to look into that possible solution. Thanks !

Originally Posted by allegretto
Warning Will Robinson... danger danger

Seriously, leave the front bonnet ajar. Otherwise you will have to go through a PITA of a drill with a fresh battery just to get it open to put your battery back in!

Otherwise, I have left the battery out, completely for several weeks with no ill effects. However, the wiring could be different across the Pond. Listen to the tech in all cases cuz we don't know as much as we think in all cases.

Any chance you can go turn her over and run for 30 min or so every few weeks???
One thing I am not going to do is periodically start the car, it gets so cold over here allegretto, it would just produce condensation ( best left alone )

The dealer did warn me that if the battery is removed you will not be able to unlock the hood, so you need to leave it unlatched to re-install the battery in the Spring time.

Haven't heard "bonnet" for quite a long time. Raised in Wales Boyo !

Thanks for your help.
Neil
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
nicoff
Racer

Here are my suggestions:
1. Leave the battery on.
2. If you have access to an outlet or a light fixture, connect a trickle charger/maintainer into the cigarette lighter and you should be fine when you return. Several folks mentioned specific brands here already.
3. If you have no access to an outlet, the solar option that someone else mentioned would do the trick. You can find solar powered battery maintainer at Amazon; they connect to the cigarette lighter.
4. Also, they sell battery-operated devices that you can plug into the cigarette lighter to keep the computers from resetting when you replace a battery. I have no idea how long that would last, but I doubt it would last all winter.
5. The warnings about your not being able to open the hood without battery are true. However, if you leave the hood open, be careful with the light under the hood. If it is on, you will drain the battery in no time. By the way, You can also open the hood by connecting a charger/jumper to a couple of connections next to the fuse box. That is an alternative way to open the hood when the battery is dead.
And, of course, you could drive the car in the winter even if there is snow as long as you have the right tires. That would be my preferred choice.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Sod it ! battery is out. Hood is ajar. OEM cover on , tarp over cover.

Car doors will open without confliction with seals ( as the battery is out ) doors will close ... "gently"

Thanks for the suggestions nicoff, but I drive a 4x4 during the Winter. I see so many people slide into each other, think I'd die if it happened to me.....

Just got the car three weeks ago...."Spring seems to be a painfully long time away"...
Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best option is Porsche trickle charger.. If you can find an alternative place or get them to feed an extension cord ?

Plug it in cigarette lighter plug THEN into the wall plug to start trickle.. Do not do the reverse as you may blow fuse
Over inflate tires
Cover car and wait till ^#}%# Spring

Doing this to 2 P-Cars for years

Good luck
PS I also put Stablizer in full tank of fuel and drive for a bit to keep fuel fresh
Old 11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by nicoff
5. The warnings about your not being able to open the hood without battery are true. However, if you leave the hood open, be careful with the light under the hood. If it is on, you will drain the battery in no time. By the way, You can also open the hood by connecting a charger/jumper to a couple of connections next to the fuse box. That is an alternative way to open the hood when the battery is dead.
And, of course, you could drive the car in the winter even if there is snow as long as you have the right tires. That would be my preferred choice.

Don't quite understand this point. If the battery is out then where is the light inside the hood getting power from and what battery would that be draining?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

O yea, one other thing....after struggling a little to remove the battery, looking at it on the floor damn thing has handles ...

it was dark o.k....
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by mzn50
Best option is Porsche trickle charger.. If you can find an alternative place or get them to feed an extension cord ?

Plug it in cigarette lighter plug THEN into the wall plug to start trickle.. Do not do the reverse as you may blow fuse
Over inflate tires
Cover car and wait till ^#}%# Spring

Doing this to 2 P-Cars for years

Good luck
PS I also put Stablizer in full tank of fuel and drive for a bit to keep fuel fresh

Next year will be different, I'll be organized by then with hydro.....hopefully
Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
O yea, one other thing....after struggling a little to remove the battery, looking at it on the floor damn thing has handles ...

it was dark o.k....
Bawhahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Priceless!

Quick Reply: Battery Removal For Winter ?