Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 806 Posts

the reason I asked about drainage is oil changes and similar. I don't want oils or other fluids to drip through the floor to the concrete.

I'm really thinking i'm going to stick with epoxy.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
If you go with Racedeck, join over at garagejournal.com and you'll get a nice member discount. I think I paid about $2.50/sq. ft delivered to Buffalo. I compared a number of brands of tile before buying and Racedeck seemed to have the highest quality. They will also replace any tile that gets damaged free of charge with no questions asked. Really great customer service!
I like your layout.

- Why did u choose the drainage ones around the edges? Is that recommended for propoer drainage of water? or you had drain underneath those tiles?
- How do these work when you drive over them after some snow/slush?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 531 Posts

Thanks. I wanted to ensure there was adequate air flow underneath the tiles to prevent any chance of moisture getting trapped and causing mold or mildew. It probably wasn't necessary, but I wanted a little overkill.

Water or snow just drains through and evaporates, but I am using two of the Costco rubber mats over the Racedeck this winter to minimze the mess. I'll squeege the mess out if it really builds up. These tiles can be "unzipped" in strips and dragged out into the driveway if you want to powerwash the concrete or tiles - takes about an hour start to finish.

My buddy opted for epoxy and it looks nice, but not as nice as the Racedeck patterns. He had it professionally done, however the hot tires on his X5 caused a small patch to lift.

Fluids will not leak between the solid tiles due to the tight seams - no worries there.

Last edited by Onami; 11-18-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Thanks. I wanted to ensure there was adequate air flow underneath the tiles to prevent any chance of moisture getting trapped and causing mold or mildew. It probably wasn't necessary, but I wanted a little overkill.

Water or snow just drains through and evaporates, but I am using two of the Costco rubber mats over the Racedeck this winter to minimze the mess. I'll squeege the mess out if it really builds up. These tiles can be "unzipped" in strips and dragged out into the driveway if you want to powerwash the concrete or tiles - takes about an hour start to finish.

My buddy opted for epoxy and it looks nice, but not as nice as the Racedeck paterns. He had it professionally done, however the hot tires on his X5 caused a small patch to lift.

Fluids will not leak between the solid tiles due to the tight seams - no worries there.
So for Buffalo weather and similarly for me in Vancouver with lots of rain, the racedecks should be fine, right? Like if I didn't use the drain tiles, wouldn't it be easier? like for dirt to just pile up on top to be wiped clean?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I was also thinking about using vinyl tiles sold at the big box stores. Applied with adhesive but they do require routine polishing to keep up the high gloss luster.

On a different thread, I believe Chuck W. had photos of his floor and it looked real nice but requires some use of a good professional polishing machine to make it look glossy.

Mark
Old 11-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

The regular tiles would be fine if you don't mind the slop sitting on top. Lots of guys on garage journal swear by racedeck and I have been completely happy with mine since I put it down last year.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the reason I asked about drainage is oil changes and similar. I don't want oils or other fluids to drip through the floor to the concrete.

I'm really thinking i'm going to stick with epoxy.
You might also consider the polyspartic coatings. When done right it is not likely to lift under tires and is much more durable. It is impervious to petroleum based liquids and is easily cleaned with a blower and mop.

Looks like this:

Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 PM
ran604
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alexb76 I'm in Vancouver as well and in Canada if you're happy with black and grey best deal I found is at costco.ca. It's on sale and works out to be $2.61/sq ft. shipped. I've read that it is made by racedeck for costco, but haven't confirmed it.

Another option is www.racedeckcanada.com though shipping may be pricey.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Racedeck makes a number of private lable brand tiles, but they are not the same quality as the original (the owner of Racedeck has stated this on Garagejournal.com a number of times). I'm in the Toronto area and had mine shipped to UPS in Buffalo to get the free freight and then just went and picked them up there. I also know that Racedeck will adjust the price for Canadians that want to pay their own freight (I did this with my last garage, but picking them up in Buffalo was cheaper).
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You might also consider the polyspartic coatings. When done right it is not likely to lift under tires and is much more durable. It is impervious to petroleum based liquids and is easily cleaned with a blower and mop.

Looks like this:

that looks great, so this is different to an epoxy?
Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faster cure, better gloss and color stability, more durable, etc. Google polyspartic vs epoxy. I'm mobile now so hard to link.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo31

Wow...that is one clean look. Love it!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the same floor as Mojo31. Had it done over 5 years ago through Premier Garage.
It is not an epoxy. I was back in my garage after 24 hours and it has held up perfectly. No tire lifting and when it gets dirty, I just pressure wash it and it looks brand new again.

I prefer this type of flooring over the racedeck types for the ease of cleaning. Yes, I like the looks of the racedeck patterns but just too much trouble in my opinion. I also had my stairs in the garage done to match. Love it!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Still a work in progress...

Old 11-19-2011, 08:57 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

I'm about to order race deck for my garage. One question though: can you jack a car on the plastic tiles without damaging them?

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Installed