Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Creaking?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cab Creaking?

After doing alot of research here and calling my dealer, this is the info. The dealer said he could take away squeaks, not all, but they will come back. When it gets cold, like now, its worse.
After listening to dealer, I went to Wally World and bought Liquid Wrench SILICONE and sprayed it everywhere. Twice where the roof meets the front window. 99% of the annoying creaks are gone.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check the Torx bolts in the frame.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...r-problem.html
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting. I have been noticing a creaking drivers side door. More noticable when the top is down as the car obviously flexs a little more (2006 C4S cab). Have sprayed some silicon along the rubber door seals but it seems to be getting worse. What i cant figure out is whether its inside the door or not

Maybe i will try some liquid wrench but given i have sprayed lubricant everywhere on the out side I am running out of options other then looking inside the door
Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
After doing alot of research here and calling my dealer, this is the info. The dealer said he could take away squeaks, not all, but they will come back. When it gets cold, like now, its worse.
After listening to dealer, I went to Wally World and bought Liquid Wrench SILICONE and sprayed it everywhere. Twice where the roof meets the front window. 99% of the annoying creaks are gone.
Where exactly "everywhere" did you spray?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Silicone

I opened the roof halfway. I sprayed inside the back area, the edges of the back area, every edge of the roof. I also sprayed every edge of the car. Everywhere the top meets the car.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i gummifelged today.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had an increasingly bothersome creaking in my car, appearing to come from the top dash back in the corner where the A-pillar meets the dash. I've removed the cluster, the A-pillar trim, the dash trim along windshield, and the AC vent, all to no avail over the past 6 months. I even injected silicone spray under the dash wherever I could get access from the back edge. The creaking got worse at about 30 mph and higher, on any road that had some undulations or bumps. It sounded like a structural (body) noise. I feared it might be the dash cover rubbing the chassis or another item underneath, and was tempted to remove it (big job). I finally got the dealer's shop foreman to listen. He couldn't determine the cause, but at least heard it (it had finally become almost constant instead of intermittent).

I took it in this week for exploratory surgery to determine the cause. Two days later they called to say they finally found it: one of the welds holding the front fender to the body had failed, so the 2 surfaces had minor movement between them when on the road. Luckily they're covering it under my CPO warranty. The car went into the body shop today for weld repair. I'm sure glad I didn't spend any more time and energy trying to track it down, because I never would have found it. (They had to use a special electronic chassis device to pinpoint it.)
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow! A failed weld. I guess that's another reason to seek out a GT3. I understand they seam weld them entirely, instead of spot welds.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 PM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab Creaking?

Originally Posted by kosmo
i gummifelged today.

I now actually know what that means thanks to Joe & Dans detailing recommendations. 2 weeks ago I'd had no clue. Thanks RennList!

Last edited by smokestack20; 11-20-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 AM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Silicone spray

Silicone spray is definitely not what you want to use on your door seals.
Just me - I would recommend avoiding it for most applications.
It traps dust & grit.
303 Aerospace has always worked really well for me on door seals, and on all the soft rubber-like parts.
For hard surfaces, including hard plastic, I'd use the McLube Sailkote. It dries completely. Insanely slick. Won't attract dust. Ultra-low viscosity, so you can get it in just about anywhere. Loads of VOCs though, so I wouldn't use it on any soft plastics.
The creaks in my Targa roof have been gone for more than a year without a repeat treatment with the stuff.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

VOC's? I havent noticed any dirt after the silicon application. Regardless, the seals dont appear to be my issue as after the seals were well lubricates I still have the creak in the door. Someone suggested the door may be slightly misaligned. Perhaps but other than that and the door seals, I have run out of things to check. Any one else have/had this prob?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
VOC's? I havent noticed any dirt after the silicon application. Regardless, the seals dont appear to be my issue as after the seals were well lubricates I still have the creak in the door. Someone suggested the door may be slightly misaligned. Perhaps but other than that and the door seals, I have run out of things to check. Any one else have/had this prob?
I don't know if this applies to 993's, but on 997's, the door strikes can become misaligned. Dealer can adjust.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
VOC's? I havent noticed any dirt after the silicon application. Regardless, the seals dont appear to be my issue
VOCs = volatile organic compounds, the sort of stuff you want to keep away from rubber, soft plastics and new paint.

Most any form of silicone will degrade the door seals if used repeatedly. Same for tires. As far as the dust goes, you won't see it right away. It accumulates over time. Sticks to the tacky residue.

A guy I know had a stethoscope with an extended front tube in his tool box. Used it to find squeaks and malfunctioning pumps etc. Really useful.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

The squeak is on my 997 (although I also have a 993 - no squeaks on that thing as its built like a tank!!). I have heard about a misaligned door so may try that.

Not too worried about the VOC's (is that an acronym most people would know??) as I have only used it a couple of times but i like the stethascope idea. Will have to rip one off from my doc next check up....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The to revive and old thread. But I am having the same squeaking issues as described. Only when the top is down, the squeak appears right by my ear and seems to be coming from the door jamb. Did anyone ever find a cure?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cab Creaking?