Sponsored by:

Damaged tire beads

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Damaged tire beads

My summer tires were dismounted yesterday for the winters to go on, and the installer noticed that my rear tire had the beads ripped in two places, both strips about 10 cm long. I watched when he removed the tires so it wasn't from dismount.

I do some DE days with my summer tires but nothing else. Haven't hit any curbs or potholes. THese summer tires are new and went on in July.

Can anyone tell me how this can happen. My initial thought is this must have happened on install?

THanks
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe at a DE, you spun the tire on the wheel? Not uncommon. That's why the track junkies put a mark on the side wall, even with a fixed spot on the wheel (valve stem) to watch how much the tire 'walks" on the rims between run groups.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

sounds plausible...but 2 spots on the same tire?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by homer997
sounds plausible...but 2 spots on the same tire?
Only one of 4 tires? It's just an idea. Damage from install is maybe more likely then. Who did the work back in July? Maybe make a compalint, knowing full well they won't do much, but next time vote with your wallet, and take your business and hard earned cash to a better business person.

This is one of the main reason I still go to the dealership for all tire and wheel work, and pay the crazy money. I feel I have a little more re-course and they have the deep pockets if things get ugly to make it right.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Only one of 4 tires? It's just an idea. Damage from install is maybe more likely then. Who did the work back in July? Maybe make a compalint, knowing full well they won't do much, but next time vote with your wallet, and take your business and hard earned cash to a better business person.

This is one of the main reason I still go to the dealership for all tire and wheel work, and pay the crazy money. I feel I have a little more re-course and they have the deep pockets if things get ugly to make it right.
Thanks for your insight. I am leaning towards the install, since it is only one tire, but I want to be fair to all parties involved. So if the percentages stack one way or the other, at least I can be confident in stating that.....even if nothing will be done to compensate me in the end.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Damaged tire beads