Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM upgrade

Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCM upgrade

I've been reading the the information on the Denison upgrades for my '06 S.
I currently have a stock PCM with Nav and the non Bose radio. I added Sirius after I bought the car. I would now like to have Blue tooth and Ipod interface. The Indy shop that installed Sirius is suggesting putting in a new system. The additional cost for a Pioneer Avicx 930 BT is not terrible and offers a lot more possibilities. One compelling argument is to have current technology as opposed to 6 year old system. Comments would be appreciateed.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

if you already have nav - not sure if it is worth it to replace PCM. it ruins stock car look imho.

plus, i got my mobridge for close to $500 on ebay when i needed ipod/bluetooth. complete replacement is probably close to $3k project. so you decide.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the original Porsche look.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I would avoid swapping out the PCM for non stock system. Due to reasons mentioned above but also to there may be faults triggered as well as some nonfunctional items if you have sport chrono for example you might loose function of individual memory function and maybe some of the instrument cluster features/communications with PCM/Nav. It's not worth the $$ and potential incompatibility issues in my opinion. Just get the Denison and be done with it. Its still the the most reasonable alternative to a toal overhaul.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Just get Dension or mObridge and you're done. Stock look with full functionality, Bluetooth and iPod.... However, iPod navigation is NOT perfect as stock PCM can only access data via CD-navigation system... after a while though, you get used to it and it's perfectly fine.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I am going to stick with the PCM. The real question that was asked by a friend with a 911. How much time do you have for all those upgrades when you are driving? The answer is I really don't need it. I very seldom use the NAV, I have a blue tooth ear piece, and sattelite has more options than I can use.
I was told by the radio Indy that my PCM can accomodate 2 more inputs with the already installed Sirius. So I guess I could add Denison or Mobridge for blue tooth and Ipod
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the exact situation you are...I just bought an '06 C2S with bose and nav...

I wanted bluetooth through the stereo, and the iPhone integration.

I bought the Denison combo from Eric at Bumper Plugs on Wednesday...it's being delivered today, and being installed on Friday.

If you're interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jason
Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bdiamond001
The real question that was asked by a friend with a 911. How much time do you have for all those upgrades when you are driving? The answer is I really don't need it. I very seldom use the NAV, I have a blue tooth ear piece, and sattelite has more options than I can use.
Yet you were planning to ugprade to an aftermarket stereo?

Since I upgraded to in-car Bluetooth, I actually DO use it! Before with earpiece, it was never comfortable to take calls, and specially for calling ppl, it's much much easier to use PCM dial-pad for calling. Also, I put a used/old iPod from many years ago in the dash and now I got a jukebox...

You decided if the two above are important to you!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Jason I would like to hear how your install goes and would appreciate a ball park cost for install. I saw the price on Eric's web site for the equipment. Cartronics also sent an email on the Mobridge.
Either of those products would be an improvement over the ear piece.
I have decided to keep PCM and not change the P car look.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:27 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

I had a 987 Boxste with CDR 2.0 which I had removed for a Pioneer 930Bt unit w/NAV and SAT radio and BT (do a search of the 987 forum and see my review and pics). It was done my an experience installer who was familiar with high end vehicles to include Porsches, Lambos, and a few italian exotics and for what you propose it CAN be done and work okay. I had no problems with my aftermarket swap out and actually the NAV, ipod, and BT functions often work better than what came from the factory. However I did as others have mentioned lose some capacity such as link and reset thru my sport chrono, a few readout lines in my in dash info system and the ability to set a few things which one must to thru the PCM or CDR screen/menu in the car. Did it affect daily driving...not much. Did I save $$ over what a similar equipped Boxster w/PCM 3.0 would have cost me..yes. PCM 3.0 was like $3k option and the whole install plus electronics (Pioneer AVIC unit) cost me I think around $1600-1750.

You will loose tho a little bit of that OEM look and original functionality which is important to alot of Porsche owners so you must consider that especially at resale and if not done correctly then you will likely loose alot of potential buyers who will view your upgrade/mod as degrading to the car and even a hack job. Luckly my installer did my upgrade on the Boxster to be easily reversible so when I traded it in for a Carrera 6 mo later it just took a day to put it back to stock (keep all parts) and it was as good as knew and undetectable that it had been changed. So in the end you gotta ask yourself what is important to you. If all you want is ipod and BT/Sat go with the Mobridge or Denision....they work great for what you want to do IMHO. If I had kept my 997.1 then that's what I'd have done to bring it up to specs for the 2011. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I have also been debating between the dension and mobridge. Is the dension the only one that you can plug a USB stick into? Id rather have all my music on a USB stick and leave it in the car rather then always plugging in my iPhone. I dont tend to update my music libraries on my phone as often.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I have also been debating between the dension and mobridge. Is the dension the only one that you can plug a USB stick into? Id rather have all my music on a USB stick and leave it in the car rather then always plugging in my iPhone. I dont tend to update my music libraries on my phone as often.
Correct, if you wanna get music on ur USB, then get Dension.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bdiamond001
Jason I would like to hear how your install goes and would appreciate a ball park cost for install. I saw the price on Eric's web site for the equipment. Cartronics also sent an email on the Mobridge.
Either of those products would be an improvement over the ear piece.
I have decided to keep PCM and not change the P car look.
Good decision, both would work fine for you.

In terms of install, I was charged 3 hours, but that included hard wiring my Radar Detector too, I'd say 2.5-3hr charge is normal.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Feel free to email me regarding your options. Can offer you the Dension with Bluetooth, iPod, USB and Aux, keeping everything stock. $500.

---> eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM upgrade