Sponsored by:

AWE crossiver pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
Default AWE crossiver pipes

I think i finally narrowed it down to upgarde my exhaust to AWE corssover pipes for my 09 C4 Targa. I found a local indie for the install and the price seems fair. The main reason for the mod is for a more agressive sound. Seems to be a touchy subject weather or not you really gain or loose HP. One concern I have weather or not this mod will cause any CEL or inspection issues. Will the mod void my warentee? TIA for any comments or suggestions.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gellie
I think i finally narrowed it down to upgarde my exhaust to AWE corssover pipes for my 09 C4 Targa. I found a local indie for the install and the price seems fair. The main reason for the mod is for a more agressive sound. Seems to be a touchy subject weather or not you really gain or loose HP. One concern I have weather or not this mod will cause any CEL or inspection issues. Will the mod void my warentee? TIA for any comments or suggestions.
gellie,

I sell this stuff, so of course I am biased. Let me answer some questions in hopes that others will chime in as well.

1. No CEL. These pipes are after emissions controls.
2. Should not have any inspections issues since you are not altering the cats.
3. Warranty is dealer dependent. More and more of them are now modification friendly. Might be worth making a call to the parts and service departments to see what they say.

As for the power gains...

Pretty simple in our eyes. We fabrication onsite. It is is easy enough for us to do and X-pipe or Cross over. We also have a dyno. You put the car on the dyno and you back to back test which makes and increase or which reveals a decrease over stock.

We never found power with the X-pipe....
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AWE makes top quality stuff. I have seen their operation and how everything is hand made right under one roof. I bet once you buy their crossovers you will be back for their side mufflers. All of their stuff sounds great with ZERO drone.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Also, every dealer I have encountered is ok with changing the mufflers and crossovers. It is not a warranty issue, and you will not have any problems with CEL's.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts

Thank You. Mike what do you mean by"We never found power with the X-pipe.... " ?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
PTParks
Instructor

I installed the AWE crossover pipes on my '09 Carrera S. There was some change in the exhaust note but not as much as you would expect in removing the stock center muffler from the exhaust system. However, I had contemplated having the "Gundo Hack" done for some time after I installed the AWE's and finally pulled the trigger a couple of months ago. My only complaint is that I waited so long to do the Gundo mod. The exhaust sound now is perfect, and the total cost of parts and labor for everything was less than half that of an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. Power gain? Probably a few HP but nothing that is going to set your socks on fire. I was primarally after a great exhaust sound for as little outlay of funds as possible. In that aspect, I succeeded. My gas mileage has suffered somewhat since I now have a great excuse to wind it out and listen to the sound.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

The x pipe does not make power. it in fact loses it. Other people making claims of gaining power with x pipe designs are false.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

The gundo mod on a 100k car is BS. There I said it.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my Dealer Sells and installs pipes and other mods.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone with a 997.2 (S or non) in the NY/NJ/CT area has center muffler bypass (AWE or Sharkwerks), I'd love to meet up and listen.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott997
The gundo mod on a 100k car is BS. There I said it.
Well, first off, I didn't pay anywhere near $100K for my S. Second, the "Gundo Hack" is nothing more than what Porsche does with their sport exhaust. They just gussy it up with a bunch of valves and switches and charge you $2K+ for the option of turning it on or off (big whoop). Plenty of Porsche owners have done the mod, but I insist that you spend your money anyway you want.

Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one. There, I said it.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the AWE crossover pipes on my 2009 C2S pdk. The sound is much nicer and deeper, but still fairly quiet... This is my only mod...
Equally as important, the increase in the pick-up and torque is very evident! Although AWE's testing only shows a small horsepower gain, you will definitely FEEL the car being more responsive, in addition to the better sound
Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by gellie
Thank You. Mike what do you mean by"We never found power with the X-pipe.... " ?
Exactly what Scott997 said above.

During R&D we fab'ed up some crossover pipes that were a few different diameters and some X-pipes a few different diameters. We established our dyno baseline with the car in stock form then started changing parts. All of the X variants lost power or made no power. The cross over configuration we sell now is what actually made a gain. Simple as that.

For a while we even sold the X-pipe with a disclaimer that it lost power. I only sold I think two sets. We eventually discontinued them.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by kosmo
my Dealer Sells and installs pipes and other mods.
Many dealers these days are very mod friendly. When I first started here it was almost impossible to get a dealer to sell or install your parts. Now some of my top wholesale accounts are actuall dealerships!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PTParks
Well, first off, I didn't pay anywhere near $100K for my S. Second, the "Gundo Hack" is nothing more than what Porsche does with their sport exhaust. They just gussy it up with a bunch of valves and switches and charge you $2K+ for the option of turning it on or off (big whoop). Plenty of Porsche owners have done the mod, but I insist that you spend your money anyway you want.

Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one. There, I said it.
New guy 5 posts. Pay some respect to someone with a lot more 997 experience then yourself. The gundo hack is exactlly that a hack. Its amazing you were at the factory to see how they manufacture their sport exhausts in the rudimentary manner you suggest. I'm sure your muffler shop did an amazing job and you will never get an exhaust leak? Most feel great saving a few bucks. I'm happy for you, especially with all of those variables. Hat tip PTK Parks. Look at you all gussied up!

Quick Reply: AWE crossiver pipes