Sponsored by:

Sold the C2S; Bought an R8...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the C2S; Bought an R8...

Sixteen year Porsche owner who has enjoyed the 964, 993, 996 and 997, finally did a trade for an Audi R8. Was looking forward to the 991 but the thought of a seven speed manual just seemed over the top. While I've heard only good things with the PDK, I just wasn't ready for an automatic. Perhaps more telling was that I was growing less tolerant of the Porsche ride qualities. Overly firm in the sport mode but necessary to keep the front end from bobbing at 90 mph+. Uncomfortable in the normal setting with imperfect road surfaces.

Thought of a Maserati Gran Turismo given its touring orientation, but didn't think it would retain its value well. Enter the R8. Turned out to be everything I read and more. First thing you notice when seated is that it feels like a large sedan. At 75" wide, it feels very spacious, almost sedan-like. Dashboard is huge which adds to the spaciousness. Remarkable headroom for a car that sits 49.3" high. Ride quality is superb; firm yet more compliant than the Porsche and, believe it or not, flatter cornering. No bobbing at 90+ and engaging sport mode is only for added mental security.

Love the steering feel but found the power brakes a too sensitive to the touch. Hopefully, I should be able to acclimate to this shortly. Six speed is terrific; particularly like the downshift to first when the car is moving and cold; absolutely no resistance. Second gear is more difficult to engage when the car is cold. The gated shift looks cool but can be a pain in the *** in terms of noise. I'll find a way to shift without touching the gate.

Fire it up and you simply can't beat that V8 rumble. Not quite American muscle car but awfully close; not as loud and seemingly more European. The sound alone says exotic. Start going through the gears at only 5000 rpm and you'd swear you were on a racetrack. Get the rpm's up to redline (8500), and you'd swear you're in a NASCAR. The sound aside, I really couldn't say if it's faster than my C2S. It's that close. Zero to 60 and the quarter mile are essentially a dead heat, depending on which road test you read. YouTube has a half-mile race between the C2S and the R8. At the end of the 2,640 foot run, the C2S won by six feet, essentially its launch advantage. Top speed for the C2S is 182 vs. 187 for the R8, but I'll never see that.

And finally, there's that exclusivity. You simply don't see many R8s. While I always thought of the 911 as an iconic sports car, I never thought of as an exotic. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I feel like I'm driving an exotic. And, while the Porsche always turned heads, the R8 turns them with a longer stare and, in some instances, people actually complimenting the car. Perhaps as a tribute to Porsche, my R8 has an exclusive "Audi" paint color ($2500 option). The name of the paint color isn't even on the window sticker. Provided my VIN # to Audi who informed me the color was "Porsche GT Silver."

For anyone contemplating the R8, it will not disappoint. Apologies for the lengthy post.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Gents, I moved the thread in the new non-Porsche cars forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/other-ma...ght-an-r8.html

Thanks.

PS. Now we need some pics of the R8.

Quick Reply: Sold the C2S; Bought an R8...