Sponsored by:

Tranismission leak - '06 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranismission leak - '06 6-speed

The story begins with 2nd gear syncro splitting in two. Local Porsche dealer did a warranty rebuild - new 1st/2nd cluster, all associated pieces - and all was well with the world until ... One week later I noticed some drops on my garage floor, fluid coming from the area of the trans (hidden by floorpan). Brouight it back, they fix it with thread sealant and return - no leaks at the dealer. I bring it back and drive for two weeks - leaks again. To be sure I gunk the underside so everything's clean and shiny then wait - sure enough, drips from the same location. Back again to the dealer who orders up a new side shifter bolt and more sealant, road test and hold then return. Two more weeks and ... leaks again. Called the dealer who states Porsche has identified where fluid can break down the sealant.

The trans has been bone dry from the day I bought it until they did the rebuild. I understand the Porsche didn't even authorize trans rebuilds on the 996 - you got a new trans from Germany, something I'm starting to push for now. Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by akirasan
The story begins with 2nd gear syncro splitting in two. Local Porsche dealer did a warranty rebuild - new 1st/2nd cluster, all associated pieces - and all was well with the world until ... One week later I noticed some drops on my garage floor, fluid coming from the area of the trans (hidden by floorpan). Brouight it back, they fix it with thread sealant and return - no leaks at the dealer. I bring it back and drive for two weeks - leaks again. To be sure I gunk the underside so everything's clean and shiny then wait - sure enough, drips from the same location. Back again to the dealer who orders up a new side shifter bolt and more sealant, road test and hold then return. Two more weeks and ... leaks again. Called the dealer who states Porsche has identified where fluid can break down the sealant.

The trans has been bone dry from the day I bought it until they did the rebuild. I understand the Porsche didn't even authorize trans rebuilds on the 996 - you got a new trans from Germany, something I'm starting to push for now. Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
Are synchros covered under warranty? My dealer said they are wear-and-tear item and not covered!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

My info is Porsche does have a procedure to support techs rebuilding NA transmissions.

(The 996 Turbo is a different story, or at least was. When the transmission in mine developed a leak around the selector shaft (seal) the transmission was removed and replaced with one (a remanufactured one) from the factory. Thankfully this was done under the car's CPO warranty and cost me nothing.)

The reason for my digression is that at the time I had my car in the shop for this leak the techs told me that if the car was a 996 NA car they could remove and tear down the transmission and replace the seal. In fact they told me that if my car had not been covered by a CPO warranty they could have done the same for its tranny. The two transmissions share many parts, and the leaking seal is one such part.

I am not going to accept that the transmission fluid is breaking down the sealant is anything more than nonsense.

The first job a sealant has is being able to resist being broken down by the fluid it is supposed to seal. If it can't do this it is not sealant.

Unless, and I mention this just in case, unless the transmission after having been worked on was refilled with some inappropriate fluid that is incompatible with the sealant.

Now Porsche specifies just two fluids (a Mobilube 75w-90 and a Shell 75w-90 fluid for these tranmissions) and in fact has part numbers assigned to these fluids.

If some other fluid was used even though it is (one hopes it is anyhow) a 75w-90 transmission fluid the fluid is chemically incompatible with the sealant.

Either the right sealant must be used or the right fluid must be used. I of course would insist the right fluid be used.

If the wrong fluid was used the transmission at least should be flushed and the right fluid used. However, if this is what happened the other seals are also compromised and I would think a total reseal of the transmission called for, at least.

The only acceptable alternative would be a new/replacement transmission and the dealer directed to henceforth use the correct fluid that is compartible with the transmission sealant used.

Anyhow, if the right fluid is being used then the question becomes was the right sealant used? If the 'sealant' is indeed being broken down then the sealant needs to be replaced with one that can resist being broken down by the transmission fluid.

Whether you can push for a new/replacement transmission I do not know. I think you can push for a transmission that doesn't leak from anywhere.

More likely the cause is not the sealant is breaking down because the wrong fluid was used, or the wrong sealant was used, but simply because there was mistake during reassembly of the transmission.

Or more likely, a seal is simply leaking, as was the case with my Turbo and its leaking transmssion.

(Again with my Turbo: The transmission was just fine for around 35K miles. I simply had the car in for an early transmssion fluid change. In order to change the fluid some panels were removed and after the panels were removed the tech then spotted the fluid leak around the selector shaft seal.)

In your car's case the transmission was worked on under warranty. Parts and labor are covered for IIRC 2 years, 24K miles or if the work done under a new car or CPO warranty until the new car or CPO warranty expires.

Take the car back to the dealer and insist the leak be fixed and fixed right whatever its cause.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience was that Porsche will go to great lengths to avoid replacing the transmission in your car. I concur that you must take it to the dealer and make sure it is done right. If the dealer refuses or disagrees with your assessment, have all of the names and dates relevant to your repair ready and call porsche to get a case open. Ask Porsche to put a regional manager on the case to pressure the dealer.

I purshased an 07 with 17kmiles under CPO, At 19K the transmission had been pulled 3 times. Porsche instructed them technician to take the transmission apart to determine the problem. Two bearings were substantially worn. I pushed for a new transmission under the CPO but Porsche refused, stating that this was easily fixable by replacing the bearings, I looked to the dealer for some consideration and traded the car for another. Several weeks later the transmission was still open in the shop. I presume they were waiting on the parts which bizarrely came from Germany though made in Japan. Porsche supposedly requires additional training and certification for technicians to qualify for rebuilding transmissions. ( Though I suppose just anyone is allowed to take one apart)

I would ask for a new transmission, but insist on no leaks whatsoever.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
My experience was that Porsche will go to great lengths to avoid replacing the transmission in your car. I concur that you must take it to the dealer and make sure it is done right. If the dealer refuses or disagrees with your assessment, have all of the names and dates relevant to your repair ready and call porsche to get a case open. Ask Porsche to put a regional manager on the case to pressure the dealer.

I purshased an 07 with 17kmiles under CPO, At 19K the transmission had been pulled 3 times. Porsche instructed them technician to take the transmission apart to determine the problem. Two bearings were substantially worn. I pushed for a new transmission under the CPO but Porsche refused, stating that this was easily fixable by replacing the bearings, I looked to the dealer for some consideration and traded the car for another. Several weeks later the transmission was still open in the shop. I presume they were waiting on the parts which bizarrely came from Germany though made in Japan. Porsche supposedly requires additional training and certification for technicians to qualify for rebuilding transmissions. ( Though I suppose just anyone is allowed to take one apart)

I would ask for a new transmission, but insist on no leaks whatsoever.
What was wrong with your tranny that made them open it up in the first place? My dealer is literally NOT touching transmission under warranty and says pretty much unless the actual gears are broken, NOTHING else is covered?!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
What was wrong with your tranny that made them open it up in the first place? My dealer is literally NOT touching transmission under warranty and says pretty much unless the actual gears are broken, NOTHING else is covered?!
The symptoms were a slight but constant high pitched rubbing or grinding noise that you could hear in neutral but which went away when clutch was engaged. Obviously, the first suspicion was the clutch throw out bearing. Dealer number 1 who sold me the car diagnosed and replaced that as well as the rest of the clutch which they admitted was badly worn) It still did not sound quite right to me but I drove it home (50) miles and took it to dealer number 2 closer to home who verified that the noise was still there and that the throw out bearing had been replaced but that the pilot bearing had not been and was probably the culprit.
Replaced the pilot bearing but noise was still there. At this point I had other reasons to suspect that someone at dealer one had pushed the car pretty hard based on a DME readout so I took it back there and called porsche. Porsche instructed dealer 1 to replace both clutch bearings again and see if that cured it. Nope, even the tech sided with me now. Porsche then required him to measure and video various parts including the bell housing. At this point most of us were suspecting the input bearing within the trans. Porsche told him to take it apart. It was some other bearing relating to the reverse gearing that was continusously rubbing in neutral or so I was told. This sounded insane to me and I was out of my car more than a month of days with no end in sight so I demanded either a replacement transmission or a new car. (Keep in mind I had just purchased this car 6weeks before. I got the later but had to pay a little more for a new one. (still about 20%discount) .
Sorry but you asked
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
The symptoms were a slight but constant high pitched rubbing or grinding noise that you could hear in neutral but which went away when clutch was engaged. Obviously, the first suspicion was the clutch throw out bearing. Dealer number 1 who sold me the car diagnosed and replaced that as well as the rest of the clutch which they admitted was badly worn) It still did not sound quite right to me but I drove it home (50) miles and took it to dealer number 2 closer to home who verified that the noise was still there and that the throw out bearing had been replaced but that the pilot bearing had not been and was probably the culprit.
Replaced the pilot bearing but noise was still there. At this point I had other reasons to suspect that someone at dealer one had pushed the car pretty hard based on a DME readout so I took it back there and called porsche. Porsche instructed dealer 1 to replace both clutch bearings again and see if that cured it. Nope, even the tech sided with me now. Porsche then required him to measure and video various parts including the bell housing. At this point most of us were suspecting the input bearing within the trans. Porsche told him to take it apart. It was some other bearing relating to the reverse gearing that was continusously rubbing in neutral or so I was told. This sounded insane to me and I was out of my car more than a month of days with no end in sight so I demanded either a replacement transmission or a new car. (Keep in mind I had just purchased this car 6weeks before. I got the later but had to pay a little more for a new one. (still about 20%discount) .
Sorry but you asked
No worries, like the detailed response.

Now, HOW in the world they covered worn clutch under warranty? did you have to fight for that? How did you manage to do so?

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info/sharing (and nice on the warranty clutch JL ) For me it's back to the dealer on Tuesday. Good thing is that they're taking ownership of the issue as this problem didn't exists before they cracked the case. The sealant story sounds like misdirection - this being the third time back for the same issue raises the stakes: fix it for real or replace it. I'll post back after next week's rendezvous.

alexb76: If you grind 'em they're wear items - if they split into multiple pieces at 45K it's a failure. Granted it may be a goodwill thing that my service manager pushed since I've been going to him since purchase and it was a CPO to boot.

Macster: It's a Porsche dealer using Porsche parts and factory-specified fluids & sealants. If the sealant can't seal in a specified area one is left to wonder how it got spec'd to begin with but that's for another thread. Till now I was in "fix it" mode rather than call BS, but the three-strike rule is now in effect.

Quick Reply: Tranismission leak - '06 6-speed