Sponsored by:

Clutch issue-please advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue-please advise

I was out yesterday with a group of car guys for some spirited driving around Hell, MI on a fall "To Hell and Back" driving tour. About half 2/3 of the way through the drive I started to notice my clutch pedal was hanging up on return when I lifted quickly. If shifting fast it would cause the clutch to slip minimally. This happened a couple times before I realized what was happening. The clutch return issue happens consistently however I drove home carefully so as not to burn up the clutch.

Has anybody heard of any issues caused from a faulty throw out bearing or the clutch spline hanging up instead of sliding smoothly on the transmission input shaft?

Also, I assume my car will be heading in for clutch work and plan on having the IMS retrofit done in addition to clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing. Is there any other PM work that should be considered while getting the clutch done?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Also, I assume my car will be heading in for clutch work and plan on having the IMS retrofit done in addition to clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing. Is there any other PM work that should be considered while getting the clutch done?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.
Also do the RMS.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Also do the RMS.
Good point, thanks.

I assume in the $3500-4000 range for everything.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

What year 997? If 06 to 08 it may not be possible to change the IMS without disassembling the engine.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe a LWFW? I have one in the 993 Turbo, and love it. If, and when, I need to replace the clutch in the 987S, I'd still probably stick with an OED duel mass flywheel.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Good point, thanks.

I assume in the $3500-4000 range for everything.
It should cost half that.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:18 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fgv1it
What year 997? If 06 to 08 it may not be possible to change the IMS without disassembling the engine.
Originally Posted by ADias
It should cost half that.
My car is a 2005. If it were 2006 or later I wouldn't even mess with the IMS bearing.

ADias, your thoughts on price are encouraging. I hope you are right.

I've been torn on the IMS fix as my car is a late 2005 and may have the 2006 version. I like that this forces my hand to get into it and make sure what I have is either of newer design or done right with upgrade.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

OK, took my car in today. Technician believes the clutch system needed to be bled if not totally flushed. He said generally when you pay for the every two years brake fluid fluid flush the dealer does not also bleed the clutch system. This would have led to clutch pedal not returning to top of travel properly and therefore could have burnt the clutch a little.

Since my car is a 2005 it is always on my mind the potential for IMS failure. I opted to have the LNE bearing retrofit done, new RMS, new clutch disk, throw out bearing and new pressure plate. Since I never was able to detect the smell of burning clutch he said it is highly unlikely to have any flywheel damage.

So a couple days I should have my car back and ready to stuff into storage until Spring.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

So a couple days I should have my car back and ready to stuff into storage until Spring.
So, you're not going to drive it long enough to break in the new clutch?

Quick Reply: Clutch issue-please advise