Sponsored by:

Finally Installed Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Great idea. I wonder what you could use to adhere it to a clear bra but have it also be removable without tearing/disturbing the bra...
remove the clear bra from the bumper, apply the license plate sticker, then apply a new clear bra just to the bumper.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM
2Utes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, helispud is correct with the vendor name. I was mistaken. The skene is the one I have.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
I Got tired of getting tickets or getting stopped by the cops for not having a front license plate. So today, after yet another encounter with the police, I decided to bite the bullet and installed the front plate.
Drilled two small holes in the bumper, installed the license plate inserts ($1.60 at Lowe's) and done with it.
Sorry to hear about the damage.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
I live in California, too, and I could have sworn that they're no longer "fix it" tickets here now? I thought they were real tickets now, with significant fines on them?
my last one, in my 996, was probably 2 years ago - was actually pulled over for it

cop that signed it off, asked about the ticket, I told him I was pulled over and he said the cop that pulled me over was a dick - that they "never" did that, and left these type tickets to meter maids

not sure about today. I mean, it's not a moving voiolation is it? you could be right though - it's not like CA has any money these days
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM
lopro
Banned

I hate front plates they kill the front of a car.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cali=Fix it, no fine. No front plate for me, just zip tie it have it signed off and in the trunk it goes.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Use my solution: Drive fast enough where they just write you for the "speed in zone" figuring that the plate ticket would add insult to injury.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Need the front plate in CO too. I found a different way to mount one on my 2009 C2s. First of all, it is normally sitting in the trunk. If I do travel as a daily driver, I simply put it in the center duct. I bent the plate (it is really soft) so that the numbers are showing, but there is a flange top and bottom (looks like a mini-euro plate). Then I bent it at a slight angle, with the middle bend point forward (like a boat's front). The plate flanges have velcro on them. The inside of my center bumper duct has the velcro too (barely noticable when not on). I simply slide it in until the velcro grabs. Works very well. It is clearly visible, and technically the front plate is mounted. For those that need a front plate, this is the ONLY WAY TO DO IT!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Cali=Fix it, no fine. No front plate for me, just zip tie it have it signed off and in the trunk it goes.
what are you zip tying it to???
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Need the front plate in CO too. I found a different way to mount one on my 2009 C2s. First of all, it is normally sitting in the trunk. If I do travel as a daily driver, I simply put it in the center duct. I bent the plate (it is really soft) so that the numbers are showing, but there is a flange top and bottom (looks like a mini-euro plate). Then I bent it at a slight angle, with the middle bend point forward (like a boat's front). The plate flanges have velcro on them. The inside of my center bumper duct has the velcro too (barely noticable when not on). I simply slide it in until the velcro grabs. Works very well. It is clearly visible, and technically the front plate is mounted. For those that need a front plate, this is the ONLY WAY TO DO IT!!!!
photos??
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Name:  plate1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  plate2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  plate3.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  plate4.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  plate5.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No front plate needed in South Carolina, so I'm runnin' naked!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=MileHigh911;8983996]Attachment 578434

You do know that you are violating several portions of the Colorado Motor Vehicle code: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files...s_42-3-202.pdf

Don't know which is worse, No plate, or plate display violations?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 PM
nicoff
Racer

[quote=helispud;8986343]
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Attachment 578434

You do know that you are violating several portions of the Colorado Motor Vehicle code: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/files...s_42-3-202.pdf

Don't know which is worse, No plate, or plate display violations?
I like milehigh's solution. Clever Indeed. Even if it is a violation of the literal reading of CO law, I doubt that any cop would write up a ticket for that.
Honestly, I gave up after getting way too much hassle. I did not mind paying the tickets, but the waste of my time was no longer worth it. Sometimes, the cops could not get me for speeding, but they would write me up for no front plate. After a cop stop, any fun drive is over.
My top choice will always be no front plate. But, If I MUST show the front plate, the hook option would be the least desirable because its non-simetrical location makes the front of the car look funny. I rather drill holes any day.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:34 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

[quote=nicoff;8986437]
Originally Posted by helispud
I like milehigh's solution. Clever Indeed. Even if it is a violation of the literal reading of CO law, I doubt that any cop would write up a ticket for that.
Honestly, I gave up after getting way too much hassle. I did not mind paying the tickets, but the waste of my time was no longer worth it. Sometimes, the cops could not get me for speeding, but they would write me up for no front plate. After a cop stop, any fun drive is over.
My top choice will always be no front plate. But, If I MUST show the front plate, the hook option would be the least desirable because its non-simetrical location makes the front of the car look funny. I rather drill holes any day.
You're right in that having the plate mounted like milehigh's will probably pass muster with law enforcement. I've thought of doing something similar myself.

I've checked a few states license plate display laws and they all say the same thing. No mutilation, 12 inches high from the bottom of the plate. The plate can't swing..etc.etc. I've also tried one of the tow hook mounts and hated the way it looked. If I ever get stopped again for no front plate, I'll probably do the milehigh mount or the Skene mount, Even thought the plate is technically too low.

Quick Reply: Finally Installed Front Plate