Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many flat tires in the past three (3) years?
None (0)
52.27%
21.59%
14.77%
3+
11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

How many flat tires have you had in the past three (3) years?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Holy crap! Ouch! What is that thing?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno. I think it is something from the tele poles. As it turns out there was a metal recycling yard down the street. The NH Trooper told me that tons of people had been getting flats from metal in the road. I never saw it or felt it in the steering, but it had to get kicked up from the front tire and all i heard was psssssss and thunk thunk... This was a spectacle on the roads of NH, three cars pulled over to see what happened, a local and a state policeman. None of them could believe that Porsche doesn't provide a spare tire. " for all that dang money, you got ripped off boy"!

It took 3.5 hours for AAA to show up, apparently there is only one towing co. in NH that is certified by AAA to haul special cars. he had to come 45 min. That's a long story...

The green stuff and compressor aren't for these type of flats. This thing was jammed into the rotor cooling holes.
Repairs one wheel, 2 tires!!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

I can't vote, because I only own the C2S for 2 years. However, in the past 2 years, I had to have the rear tire plugged once (knock on wood) for a screw. It was a 15 dollar fix. I never take the tire insurance on any cars.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
It does cover tires and wheels. I just didn't want to throw away $900+ dollars if it wasn't necessary. I wanted to hear real life experiences from people who may have had flats, cost of flats with and without this coverage. Since this will be my first Porsche (or any high $ sports car) I wasn't sure what to expect.

I've learned so much from this forum and want to continue making educated decisions.

Thanks to all of you for your continued input and help.
Looks like there is 40% chance you will have a flat in 3 years!

Now, is that worth $900? Also, IF you got a flat in one, do you get BOTH or even all four tires replaced at no cost (in most cases you should if wear is different left to right or front to back)... if so, I'd say maybe it's worth it then.

If not, a tire repair costs less than $100 so your potential loss is:

$100*.22+$200*.1+$300*.075=$64! You tell me? This is how insurance companies calculate premium
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2 flat tires
both rears
I drive michelin PS2s
the first time they replaced both rears because replacing only one would have caused a tread mismatch
the second time they only replaced one
so I got 3 tires out of the deal
yes, the tire warranty was worth it for me
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a few flats, but I've been able to plug the tires. Yeah, there are people that say you can't or shouldn't but I've never had a problem.

The other day I damaged the sideway and was forced to replace a pair of front tires. It would have been noice to have had insurance for that as the tires (19 inch Corsas) are close to $800.

Even considering that, I would not buy a tire policy.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have had my 997 under two years. Noted I was loosing air and needing to top off about every two weeks. Gave in after loosing too much air overnight (24PSI in the morning). Had a screw and a bolt in the right rear tire. Surprised it held up so long. Letting the car rest for winter, new tires next spring.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have only had my car since March and no issues so far. I did not purchase the tire/wheel insurance since patching a tires is no big deal. If the rims break I would use that as an opportunity to replace/upg to a different set.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I paid about $600 and haven't used it yet. I hope I get a major flat in the next couple of months as the policy expires in January. I won't buy another one of these policies.

A couple of pointers:

- The price of these policies are packed with dealer profit and they are highly negotiable. The face value of the policy I bought was about $900 and I got it for $600. I suspect the cost to the dealer was about $500. The dealer would rather make $100 profit than $0 so they took the deal. You can negotiate the same way.

- After the fact, I realized that the policy only covers damaged wheels if the damage occurs in conjunction with a flat tire. So, hit a curb, damage the tire and wheel, and both get fixed. Hit a pothole and the tire comes out unscathed but the wheel gets bent...I'm on my own to pay for repair to the wheel. I didn't read the fine print and I ended up having to pay out of pocket to have a wheel repaired for this very reason. The tire was fine but the pothole bent the wheel.

- Read the fine print regarding replacement versus repair of your tire. In some policies, if the tire is repairable that is what you will get. So a $900 policy has saved you from a $20 repair.

Bottom line, be sure to negotiate hard and read the fine print carefully!

Quick Reply: How many flat tires have you had in the past three (3) years?