Sponsored by:

Cure for 911 rattles and squeaks and Targa roof clatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:44 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Cure for 911 rattles and squeaks and Targa roof clatter

My 2007 Targa C4S is a blast to drive but some rattles, squeaks, and clatter from the Targa rood adds to the cabin noise when driven hard on rough surfaces. I have fixed the roof clatter with a 'fix' detailed in this forum; mainly using silicone based dry lubricants. Does anybody know any other 'fixes' or 'cures' for other noises? I think most of them appeare come from door hinges and things.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The McLube spray (if that's what your referring to as 'dry silicone') that I recommended using as part of the Targa roof fix, can also be used on any metals or hard plastics. The trick is that the parts need to be cleaned to start. That stuff won't work if applied to an oily surface.
For parts that you can't get de-greased, the McLube bearing oil is pretty magical. A tiny bit goes a long way.
Occasionally the door & window seals will get dry and squeak. A couple applications of 303 Aerospace usually does the trick.
I had a buzz coming from one of the clear plastic round covers on the dash instruments. Just jammed a bit of that tacky-rubbery stickum from a magazine insert into the corner, between the plastic and the dash flange. Invisible. Silent.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The only sure-fire cure is a louder exhaust.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Tom,
I was referrring to McLube spray. I followed your recommendations for Targa roof fix. Ecellent. Thanks for the additional info.

Quick Reply: Cure for 911 rattles and squeaks and Targa roof clatter