Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you become a Porsche person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
randysmithla
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Growing up in the SF Bay Area and around 1975 became obsessed with the "new" turbo". I was 14/15 then and I also learned to drive in my aunt's 2.0 orange Porsche.
Funny, though, I visited Neufeld Porsche in Burlingame at least once a week and just look at the cars in the showroom.

Anyway, always thought they were cool and now have one. Been though Z cars and 3 interations of M3's. Love the Porsche.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

I'm a NSX guy first and foremost. Since I was 14 years old (1991) and seeing one in person for the very first time I knew I'd own one. Fast forward to 2008 and I picked up my first, sold it, picked up my second, sold it and then found my first Porsche; a 2006 Carrera.

Its no NSX. Owned it for less than a year and had to get another NSX. Now that I've got my NSX I miss the 911 dearly. The movie "No Mans Land" with Charlie Sheen got me hooked on 911's earlier but there was something in the NSX that captured more of my sports car lust.

But my dream garage is both the NSX and another 911 which I'm shooting for as my daily driver.

The 911 is an amazing car and it fits the daily driver criteria I have and its the second best driving machine that I've ever experienced.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
RC993TT
Advanced

I answered a for sale ad in 1969, address only, no phone number. Ended bringing home a 1957 Porsche Speedster with two engines ( one disassembled). Kept it for a couple of years before the pressures of wife , 2 kids and 1 car garage became too great. Wished to hell I had the car now.
Just one of many I have had the enjoyment of owning over the years. They have all been great, but thats the one I remember.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Mathcbox 917's when I was a kid in th early 70's.

My dad took me to a Porsche dealer in 1978. I sat in all the cars... I was in love.

I read every scrap of paper with the word Porsche on it for years and years. I went to all the PCA track days until one day my wife said stop looking at the cars like some poser and buy one.

Done.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow

bump!! this is a good thread and new members should add to it! I'll start....

I became a true "Porsche Person" from the influence of my father and a couple other figures in my adolescent life. When my mother was only 7 months pregnant with me, she and my dad left for the hospital in his Guards Red 1986 930. After 17 hours of labor, my parents and I left the hospital to head home. Needless to say, my first car ride ever was in a Porsche.

Upon growing up, one of my buddy's dad drove a 996 Carrera cab when they first came out. This was a fun car to ride in. Shortly after, my really good friend's Mom got a 996 C4S coupe in black/black and I immediately fell in love. After going back and reading about Porsche I always loved the lines and the long run this car has had is amazingly impressive and cannot be replicated. I looked to the 993 as my favorite car only wished it were more modern.

By the time I was able to afford a Porsche, the 997 came out and I was IN LOVE. The looks of a 993 with the most up-to-date technology offered by Porsche together, I thought!! What could be better? The 997 is a car that truly moved me. I could feel it was meant to be in my soul. After looking for the RIGHT car with absolutely NO compromising, I bought a RL member's car right here on the classifieds a couple years ago and never looked back. She's a special car with full Cocoa leather, PCCB's, some exclusive options and X51 airbox with full AWE system for starters... Too much to list and My first of MANY Porsches to come.

-John
Old 02-16-2015, 10:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

My passion for Porsche started when I was 16-17 years old. We used to do road trips from Sweden to Italy. I was in the back seat of our Volvo 245 station wagon and saw a white 993tt fly by on the autobahn. From that day I knew I wanted a 993tt one day. It didn't stop at one 911!dde09
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

I was always a kid who liked cars, and I remember loving the look of Porsche cars at a young age. I went to high school in the early '80s, and I remember drooling over the 928 in Risky Business. I used to doodle and sketch pictures of 911s in high school. The first Porsche that I ever owned was a Cayenne S. I had young kids at the time and I needed the space. A Porsche has been my daily driver ever since then - first a 996 C4S then a 997 turbo cabriolet. I've been fortunate enough to start my daily driver with my left hand for nearly a decade, and I don't see that changing any time soon!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I always liked cars. Was living in Germany when the 911 first came out. Little did I know!

Then one day a friend showed up in a 914-4 and I thought it was a very well designed car. About the same time the hottest French teacher in school drove by the house one day in a 914-6. I haven't looked back. As they say, you can't be too thin, have too much RAM, and have too many Porsches.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 AM
TheLex
Instructor

I've always loved cars. I grew up in the late 60's early 70's when muscle cars were king. I really wasn't interested in the seemingly frail 911's that era. After all how, how could a 911 compare with a Buick GS 455 Stage 1 or a Olds 442?

But I do remember the 914's especially the 914-6 and I liked the widebody look of the 6.

I'd always loved Ferrari's and the Jag E type convertible. Oh the E type - one of the prettiest cars I've ever seen even to this day.

But these were all pretty exotic "out there" cars. And then in 1976 Porsche came out with the 930 turbo. WHOA! Big fenders bulges and it was fast! I was hooked. I read the stories about the terrifying acceleration and the scary oversteer handling.

In the 80's I spent a lot of time driving an '85 911 Targa that a girlfriend of mine had. Loved the steering (manual of course) and how everything in that car was direct. Loved the noise of the engine. Loved how the car always started with a THWUMP. It seemed alive. But it was a bit hairy in the wet. Oversteer reared it's ugly head all too often and it wasn't quite the easy to control type of oversteer.

Cue forward to the 993. By that time I was able to buy my own 911 but I ended up with a Mercedes SL instead because I wanted the prestige. Hah, a stupid young guy driving around in a 100k MBZ. Stupid from a financial standpoint. But I was naive.

So I watched as the air cooled transitioned to the water cooled. The car was so different but so familiar still. Everything had changed but it was still the same after all these years. Electronics took out some of the hairy oversteer. Hmmm. Should I reconsider?

By the time the 997.1 came out I was smitten. I had too many cars but I wanted a 997. And then the 991 happened. Nothing against that car, but I really don't want to spend in the mid 100k for that car. Not responsible spending. And I still like the 997 styling. I do like the GT3 but I'm not a hard core tracker.

So one day I discovered the GTS. Sweet looking 997.2 - check. PDK so I don't have to suffer in stop n go traffic - check. Power Kit so it's got a bit more power than a "standard" Carrera S - check. BIG Butt? CHECK!!!

So I started looking around and found a 2011 with 45k miles. It's a bit more miles than I'd like but I intend on using this car as a daily driver. In the past I've babied too many of my cars. I plan on driving the crap out of this thing. Since it's already got a bunch of miles on it, I'm not going to feel bad about putting more miles on her. I'm going to enjoy this car. After a tired day at the office, I want to be able to adore the rear end of this beauty, hit the starter and zoom off along country roads on my drive home.

This looks like the start of a beautiful relationship!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

When I was kid in the early 80:s Porsches were in all the magazines. I loved the lines of the car. Something feminine/beautiful and still with the wide rear also masculine. A perfect combo.

After riding motorcycles for 10 years and being hit by cars TWICE I started thinking..... About safety.....

To me a Porsche is similar to a sports bike. You can cruise, you can track it and still you maintain it on a normal schedule. It is solid as a rock to me. Designed to be driven

My brothers friend drive a Nissan GTR and when he tracks it the gearbox ran warm. Had to add a separate oil cooler. Also after a certain number of launch control use an extra service is needed etc. too fragile.

So when I first started looking for a Porsche I wanted a coupe but my wife found the white 997.1 C2S we now have and said she loved it . Buy it she said!! I couldn't believe she was so eager but ok - it ticked all the boxes, C2S, PASM, leather, PSE, Bose, 6 speed manual etc so we bought it.

Both of us love it. My wife was completely amazed how easy it is to drive. She use it from time to time and doesn't hesitate to redline it I'm in love !
Old 02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My desire started at the age of 15. I have always loved cars. I had a poster of the Countach as well as many others. But as a poor kid most cars were out of reach, especially the cars deserving of posters. Then one day (when I was 15) in my town at a used car lot was a brown 944. It had lived a hard life and was not running. It was being sold for $2500.00. I had no experience working on cars especially a Porsche. I did not buy it, $2500.00 was out of my reach in 1985, but it was close enough to give me hope (I paid $800.00 for my first car). But that hope was the seed that grew until I could actually afford one. I took many years and a lot of correct moves to make that happen. So that one brown 944 that was not even running did it for me.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

always a car lover growing up, but was looking for an nsx for 2 years to fullfill a (somewhat silly) childhood dream.

during this time a few buddies ended up with 911c2s, c4s, 911TT and i was stubbornly ignoring the charm of the modern p-car... my wife (much rather me with a 911 then the nsx) persuaded me to test drive the 911s and after a drive on the highway, there was no comparison. the power, more modern interior had me sold; looks i impartial which i liked better.

a few years into 911 ownership ive been fully converted, it's very easy to see why the 911 the most timeless/classy/successful sports car of all time; and that rear seat does come in handy on occasions!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 PM
jmt053
Advanced

In 1967 new neighbors moved in across the street. They had a 65 356SC. Once I got a ride in that I was sold. 2 years later another neighbor up the street bought a 69 911S. I absolutely loved the sound of that engine as he went up the street at about 5K RPM. Nothing sounds like an air cooled 911. In my 30s I bought a couple of very tired air cooled 911s, but really couldn't afford to restore them so I sold them. I now have a 2011 C4S with 8400 miles. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Had always loved the 356, there was something very hypnotic about its looks. Bought my first Porsche book in 1982 and like a number of other dreams, this one seemed to slip by the wayside. Fast forward to 2013 and I saw a full page ad in the New York Times celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 911. Two days later I saw an article on Yahoo News "10 used cars you should probably own", one of the cars was a 993. I looked at the cars available on Yahoo Auto and found a 91 964 convertible in Guards Red. I sent an email to my wife entitled, "if I can't get a Harley" what about one of these (one day)?" Her exact reply was "You know if you really do want it we can figure a way. I just would not prefer you get a convertible. Red is nice!!"

That was all I needed to hear, I checked with my insurance company and was surprised that the cost to insure it was the same as my current DD. I did some research through the fall and winter and by June 2014 I purchased a 05 997 coupe in Guards Red / Black. Just can't wait for springtime.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:33 PM
crsierra
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in 2001 I received a VHS tape in the mail just a few days before undergoing a whole ton of lifelong changes. Within the span of ~10 days I was graduating college, starting a career, getting married and moving in with my wife. It was a roller coaster of life changes!

Looking at the tape I figured it was mailed to the wrong address although it had my name on the label. I wasn't sure what to make of the fact that Porsche had sent me a tape, but having just considered throwing out the VHS player (because I didn't want to pack it and DVD was all the rage) I decided to pop it in and give it a watch.

I was shocked how much it spoke directly to me. It fully justified my view of cars in my life. After watching it 3 times back-to-back I was convinced that one day I would own a Porsche. It completely changed my perception of their products from "dentist cars" to well machined tools built by a company that understands what cars and driving are truly all about.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)

Quick Reply: How did you become a Porsche person?