Sponsored by:

How did you become a Porsche person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

After three corvettes became tired of being a douche.
The following users liked this post:
IrishWhiskey (07-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM
kevspada
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It started when I was 6 or 7, I had every Porsche matchbox car and I used to draw pictures of 911's and 928's. My dad always had a Corvette in the garage growing up, so that was my first goal was to get a Vette after I turned 25 (when the insurance rates drop). So I ordered a 2001 Vette as a 26th b-day present to myself. I loved the Vette but I within months of taking delivery, I was already looking for a way to get into a 911. It took 2 years, but I worked my azz off and got my first 911. After that, I was hooked. Fast forward 3 years and had to sell it because I was getting married. It was one of the worst experiences of my life having to trade my 03 911 for a P.O.S. Honda S2000!!!! Always dreamed of the day when I could get back to a 911. Then this past May after 5 years, I got divorced and 1 week after my divorce was final, went out and bought myself another 911 and have never been happier. I'm sure others on this board can agree, once Porsche has been injected into your life, you CANNOT live without it. Nothing will ever come between me and my 911.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

It was 1985. I had just started dating a lovely Japanese girl from Hawaii. We were both attending school at Loyola Marymount Univ at the time... sharing our dreams of a carrier in accounting(for her) and mechanical engineering(for me). After one of our dates on the beach I stopped at the local exotic car dealerships in Santa Monica to share one of my secret passions - a 930 turbo. Amongst the fancy Lambo's and Ferrari's it just looked somehow more masculine and purposeful. Fast forward 26 years and I'm celebrating my 24th anniversary with that same girl from Hawaii this week. Over those years we would visit that same dealership in Santa Monica when we found ourselves back at our alma marta. After a lifetime of adventures together, several tours of duty in Marine Corps and one war - Desert Storm One, multiple relocations, career changes, and putting the needs of two boys and raising a family together ahead of our own wants/needs... we finally pulled the trigger on a Guards Red 997 C2S earlier this year.

There were many fun "stepping stone" cars along the way... several bimmers and project cars but this was the one we had been waiting for all along. Thru all those years I was most concerned about whether it was real or hipe - the performance of a 911. I made a personal pack to NOT test drive one until I could afford it and pay cash out right - we live by "don't buy it if you can't afford it." I knew that a test drive would just put me over the edge of fiscal responsibility so after 10 yrs of saving and nursing a '98 e36 M3 along... the day finally came. Here's the original write-up of that test drive. https://rennlist.com/forums/8383618-post15.html

It's been smiles every mile for my girl and I since we got "little red riding hood."
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

There Is No Substitute

best ad ever
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Great stories! Nice to find out more about RL'ers and how Porsches got under their skin. Hope the write ups keep coming.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My first car was a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000. Loved the car but always wanted a Porsche. I came across a 1970 914-6 Racing Green, S Cam's $5,700. Ended up having two of these. Didn't come back to Porsche until 2010 with my Carrera S, Racing Green.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1983 in my rented renault LeCar driving from Paris to Brugge- I was in the left lane at 120kph (it was down hill with a back wind) when there was a flash of headlights- i pulled over and a black 928 screamed by- that was the genesis of the "someday I'll have one of those"
Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always been into cars. After some beaters, my first ever decent car was a 1750 Alfa GTV, followed by a 2000 Alfa Sprint Veloce, both in the '70's. I went through a whole series of Audis, culminating in an RS4. Up until that point I'd always loved Porsches, but wasn't willing to buy a used car and couldn't afford a 911 as a second car.

In late '07 that all changed. I retired after 33 yrs in my field and took a second job which greatly increased my income. At the same time I was dating an M.D. who was a Porsche fanatic - and a kick-*** driver. She got me hooked on Porsches.

I got my first-ever Porsche, an '08 997.1 C2, on Christmas Eve of '07 and the rest is history. I then took my girlfriend to PSDS, and immediately afterwards upgraded to a C2S. I went to a local PCA DE event and the rest is history.

Still no GT3, though.... yet!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

From the first time I saw one: as a little kid, growing up in Southern Italy. It was white and loud. Wide and sexy. She replaced Sofia Loren as my first true love and as a pin-up. Never dreamed of anything else since. And now, after more than three decades, I finally have one. And Sofia? She simply got old.
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After owning a MGB, Audi, 3 Hondas, Plymouth, Mitsubishi, Nissan, 4 Fords, Mazda, BMW, and a MINI, I decided that it was finally time for a Porsche.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The first p-car I fell in love with was the Boxster concept, which made me hit the library (books! imagine that) and research all the old Porsche mid-engine sports cars. I was always surrounded by euro cars, mostly VW and Audi, a sprinkling of BMW. For my first car I had a choice between the '88 Taurus and a rusty '72 Type II Westy. I took the VW. For HS graduation, my uncle brought me to WGI for my first driver ed in his '77 Targa... It was over for me after that.

Had to wait my time out in a variety of bad and good metal before I bought my first "dream" car at age 24, an '03 Boxster S in silver/black just like the Boxster concept from all those years ago. I wanted Boxster red interior, but settled for a nice low-mileage example with the better motor. Just as I bought that car the 997 came out and I thought to myself, "that's my next car." About three years ago during the economic scare I went bargain hunting for my current ride, an '05 997 C2S in Slate Grey, just what I wanted in every last detail. Not sure where my next P-car purchase will take me, torn between aircooled and GT3 right now.

Both cars have seen the track, and given me countless hours of enjoyment. My wife drives a Boxster and tracks it with me. We don't plan on kids, so I suppose we'll see how much Porsche a college fund buys in the coming years.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Growing up my Dad's friend had a yellow turbo. I would stare at the whale tail out my window every time he came over.

From then, I just knew I had to have one. The second I could afford it, I got it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

For anyone who loves cars it's a natural progression, similar to the tendency for anyone who loves Rock and Roll music to eventually discover the Beatles. After owning several BMW's including an E36 M3, there was a sense of needing to get to the heart of the matter.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Great post Mike! I think one becomes a Porsche enthusiast once one starts to appreciate cars! I was "bitten" in the early 80's and is reason why I own a classic Targa today and the C2S. Being born in 70', the 3.2 w/ a whale tail, was all that and then some!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice stories. Thank you for this thread Mike. My story is quite different. I knew very little about Porsche. The iconic status of the 911s, it's racing history, its "built to last" character, daily drivability etc etc. When it was time to end the lease on my MB E350, I just wanted to get into something different for my next car. Something that would delight me. Porsche fit the bill very well. Istill could not picture myself getting a brand new car with a MSRP of 125K. But when I learnt that I could actually get one over $ 15,000 off MSRP (remember those left over 09s) I just could not resist.

After I got my feet wet in 911 ownership back in November '09 with a 997.2 purchase, I spent quite a bit of time learning about the history of 911's. The mystique of Porsche, its history started to seep into my central nervous system's grey matter. When I went to San Juan islands for the spring break with my family and friends, I saw a 964 in the parking lot. The car spoke to me in many ways. I tracked down the owner who happened to be a maintenance guy at the lodge we stayed in. He was a Porsche afficionado who took the time to show me around the car, it's engine bay and interior. The car's condition was a far cry from being pristine. However, the straight lines on the exterior and the knobby interior controls, the sound and smell of an air cooled 911 all had my psyche all conjured up and right at that moment I decided to own an air-cooled. it took me exactly 23 days (several hours of research on those days) to get into one. Even before I knew anything about 911s my wife has always adored the Cayenne. Now that the man of the household is a Porschephile, the transition to a Porsche family hauler was just a matter of time.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-18-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: How did you become a Porsche person?