Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you become a Porsche person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From when I was 11 or 12, I had subscriptions to M&T, R&T, C&D, Autoweek and whatever else I could get my hands on. I hated the Euro bias, but understood there was merit to it. Oh, the 911 wins again (shocker...not!)

I had two German mopeds (Puch and Sachs) and a teacher had a VW GTI first gen that I learned to drive a manual in. He had a 914 out of service, too. I sat in a Scirocco one time and it felt... right. I liked everything the Germans were doing: Their products were more taught/tight; they definitely were crisper in response; and the seats and interior felt right. They were all manuals. I liked that.

For some reason that escapes me to this day, my dad --- a Cadillac and Buick man -- bought an Audi 4000S and that meant visits to the Porsche-Audi dealer. I sat in a 944... and damn that was the best seat/steering/shifter layout I had seen at that time.

As for the Audi, I cut my teeth on that car. That was pure handling. To this day, I can't figure out why my dad bought an Audi. Italian men from the Italian section of the city don't drive Audis. He went on to more Audis and BMWs. Mom still drives a BMW now that dad has passed away.

So, ya know... maybe I am a Porsche person now (upthread, I said I really wasn't). My current ride feels like the relationship that I had with my shiny, silver, German Puch moped. That moped was just an extension of me. This car is too. I long for a Sharkwerks car, and am actually looking at 997.2 variants, if I can aero it out a bit (I like aero kits). I'm in this long term now. I am working to come up with 3 stages of exhaust mods that solve the riddle of louder/aggressive/really aggressive, without anyone dropping exorbitant am'ts of money.

Yeah... that's how I became a Porsche person... and the back seat in the 911 cemented it. I don't daily my car, but if I had to take it to work and had to grab the kids to shuffle them somewhere, I'm covered. And my daughter loves going to car events with me and my son... which surprised me.

So, when I see Cayennes and Panameras and such... most owners don't do the wave (I get that 99.9% with 911 guys), but I nod at them, because this brand lives on.

That's just fine by me.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

I was anti Porsche at a young age, as to me it represented that gaudy 80's affluence that it had become associated with at the time. My first memory of one was at eight years old, flying down a country road as a passenger in what must have been an SC whilst visiting an uncle in Tasmania. I don't remember any detail, and suspect my mind has now fabricated much of it based on more recent exposure to 911's. I do remember being told that my uncle was a belligerent capitalist, with no morals, ethics or respect for humanity. Perhaps this was a catalyst for the dislike.

In my teenage years I'd always been the passenger, not the driver - never having the confidence or the money to invest in learning to drive. In a small town in NZ most cars were beaten up old Japanese imports, peppered with tired American muscle and the occasional Euro owned by the wealthy family down the road. We'd never see Porsches, and shunned them for being overpriced, "this Impreza WRX would blitz a Porsche! What a waste of money!".

I once told an ex girlfriend "if you ever catch me driving a Porsche, shoot me", probably over a single origin espresso after eating an organic wheat grass tofu "burger" with lettuce instead of a bun, before walking back to our tiny one bedroom flat. We didn't own a car, and I never drove, instead skateboarding everywhere I could. The only exception to this was video games. She always seemed slightly confused as I spent hours directing small 3D representations of classic race cars or modified imports around a virtual race track. Through Sega Rally, Gran Turismo and later Forza, I'd been exposed to nearly every interesting car out there, and over time grew a strange affection for the Lotus Elise and Exige - to the point where I almost imported one from the UK to have as my first car. In this context, Porsches were non existent (due to licensing, Porsches are almost always excluded from most Motorsport games, instead only having an occasional RUF).

Then I got a little older, remembered how good bacon tastes, realised the girlfriend wasn't quite the right fit and got a promotion that resulted in a move to a city that geographically was impossible to live in without owning a car. At relatively short notice I picked up a MKV Diesel Golf, my first car. I had probably driven a grand total of 50km before test driving the car - I kept this fact to myself at the time.

The next twelve months saw me discovering the joy of driving NZ roads, as I put 15k km on the car. Suddenly I understood why my friends had tried (but failed) to coax me into learning when I was young - and along with that came a realisation that I'd been missing out. How was I going to make up for this?

The Golf was a great car, but issues with the DSG found me looking at selling it back to the dealer I'd purchased it from. At the same time my want to own a sports car was growing exponentially, and as I researched "the best drivers cars" and "well priced sports cars", I kept finding myself reading articles full of Stuttgart references, praising the flat 6 engine and describing an experience that intrigued and bewildered - how can having the weight at the rear make for a safe and enjoyable driving experience?

At first I ignored it, but over time I gave in to the fact that the reporters couldn't all be Porsche nuts, and that I had to consider something other than an Elise. Using the rule of "buy the newest you can afford" I'd convinced myself that the 996 was a handsome car, and stockpiled buyers guides and bookmarked forum threads on what to look for in a second hand 911.

Every day I would get an email from Trademe (NZ's localised version of eBay) with the latest cars to hit the market. One morning, amongst the seemingly overpriced 993's and ignored Boxster's, was a 997 Turbo with a starting bid and reserve of $1. At the time the market value was around $135k, so I almost wrote it off as an option, but decided to put a cheeky bid in for $40k, "just to keep an eye on it". Three days before the auction had finished, I was still leading. Realising that I should really test drive a Porsche before owning one I quickly organised a PPI, and headed to the dealership to take it for a spin.

In hindsight, I had no idea what I was buying. Here I was, on a learners drivers licence, about to jump in not only my first Porsche, but the first car I'd ever driven with more than 130bhp. The dealer was nowhere to be found, instead leaving the keys with his accountant - an 18 yr old student, who was more interested in amassing wealth in Clash of Clans on his iPhone than he was in selling me a car. He literally threw the keys to me and said "let's go" in a heavy Chinese accent.

I tried my hardest to look comfortable as I climbed into the car and turned the key. Asking questions about features and options I'd only read about, and tentatively pulling out of the dealership onto a busy Auckland street. It became quickly apparent that this kid was only here as a placeholder, made certain when he admitted to knowing nothing about sports cars and telling me to "just drive it and tell me if you like it".

At this point I asked if he minded if I "push it a bit". The next 15 minutes had me diving into corners and powering through sweepers as I flew white knuckled around back roads west of the city. I commend the accountant on his demeanour, as aside from the fact he kept going for the ghost pedal, he didn't say a word. On the way back from what I now know was a relatively tame jaunt, along an all but empty motorway, I opened it up. As I meandered around the occasional commuter I commented on how the car gave a sense of speed I was not used to. It was only as I hit 125 that I realised the speedometer was in miles, not kph, and that I MUST own this car.

The next three days saw two PPI, and little focus on anything other than the thought that I might soon own a 911. As the auction end drew closer and the PPI's came back positive, I knew I had to set a hard limit on my maximum bid. A flurry of activity bumped the lead bid to $1000 over my limit, at which point I closed my laptop and walked away. Returning 15 minutes later to find that it hadn't gone past this was devastating. Here I was, feeling like I'd just f$&@ed a super model but had to go back to looking at average girls on Tinder.

I immediately sent a note to the dealer, asking him to call if the deal fell through. Three days later, with the buyer failing to come up with the money, I got a call letting me know it was back on the market. 15 minutes later and the keys were in my hands.

Two years on, I still love the car. I've put almost 30k km on it and through driving have met some great people, who I expect I'll keep in touch with for the rest of my life. From the outside looking in, the community is often looked on in a negative light. Becoming part of it has been a realisation that the vast majority of Porsche owners are genuine, friendly and incredibly helpful people, passionate about the marque and welcoming of others, and I'm enjoying being a part of it. Plus the cars are pretty damn cool...

#rantover
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)
Old 10-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Nzskater ... very nice, and nicely done!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will start by saying I am not sure when I became a Porsche person.

A 911 was always something I wanted since I could remember. But growing up in a family with limited means this was always something that others could have but would be/ was out of reach for me. The desire was always there though, and I looked a couple times in my 20s, but it didn't seem like it would work out. In my 30s, we moved for a better job and one day on my commute in I found myself transfixed on this 911 Cab (silver 997.1, black interior) - the guy driving looked happy as could be - and I remember thinking "one day" and "why not me?"

Fast forward a few more years and I am looking to replace a car. I find out there are some 911s in my price range - who knew? I test drove a couple, but couldn't get myself to buy one, but the seed was planted and started growing out of control. I began looking more often, inquiring and occasionally test driving - drove the wife nuts. And finally, after all those years of wishing and wondering, months of research and analysis and a couple of failed offers, there she was - in my price range and beautiful - midnight blue metallic, grey full leather, great condition.

I thought I lost the opportunity when I begrudgingly walked away from what seemed to be the final offer from the dealer, but really more than she was worth (need to keep the emotion out of it, right?). I started to convince myself that maybe it just wasn't meant to be . But the P-car gods intervened and the dealer got back to me with a fair deal and I was in the car the next day .

So, did I become a Porsche person when I was a kid? Or, did I become one after I bought my first? I'm still not sure, but at this point I guess it doesn't matter .
Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I do my best!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I became a Porsche person once I was able to afford one.

End of story.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Erazo PR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to try one ...love the body........i still have my m5 v10 just in case.....im still in trial mode
Old 10-08-2015, 06:36 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in about 1962 when I was a 10yo we were visiting my Aunt/uncle that lived in the SF Bay Area. My mom's sister was married to second gen German guy. We were in Golden Gate Park sitting in the car when this funny little car drove by. My uncle saw me looking at it and asked me if I knew what it was. My dad was an American car guy so even at 10 I could identify what most Detroit iron was. Well, I didn't know what this car was so he proceeded to tell me this was a Porsche and what great cars they were.

So, that planted the seed of Porsche appreciation and I've loved them since. I think the early 911's sealed the deal for me and I've lusted after one since. I finally make my dream come true this past summer...
Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 PM
cluster_fsck
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Like many others, I was a car nut as a kid. Read Road & Track and Car & Driver from cover-to-cover religiously. I grew up in a family of car nuts and my dad had a beautiful 911T as a kid. I just fell in love with that car, it's shape and sound. As a kid, I drew pictures of rockets. Where were the engines? In the back.

My uncles both had various 911 Turbos and one was a red Turbo cab that was featured in a popular poster, which I had on my wall.

After I started working, I didn't have 911s on the mind for a while. Seemed out of reach and I had other priorities. Luckily, a few years ago the time had come and and now am deep into Porsche again. Keeps me young!
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

In 1974 I was a Midshipman at the Naval Academy and many of us bought Vettes at a remarkably low price. One day I was getting on an interstate in Maryland and there was a 914 in front of me. Assuming it was essentially a VW, I planned on blowing him away. You would have done the same thing at 22. Anyway, I couldn't do it. I later did some research on Porsches and learned of the 914-6. Also, who at that time can forget the picture on the front of R&T of a 73 S smoking the tires. I was captivated. In 1976 I sold the Vette and bought a 914-6. Then I had to have a family car that could carry a car seat. Of course, it was a 911. I had a series of them ending in a 73 S, the car I should have never sold. But I later bought another 914-6, which I still own. With a 2.5L short stroker and flares, it is for me the quintessential Porsche -- a kick *** car with a unmistakable sound and great handling. I just sold my 77 930 and got a 07 997 C2S. I love it and I love the marque.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:03 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Age 8, saw a 1979? metallic green 930 turbo visiting a neighbor on my street. WOW! Fell in Love.
Teen, read every car magazine featuring Porsche that I could. I always favored Porsche, my buddy always favored Ferrari.
Age 21, Drove a guards red 911 SC targa 150 mph on the interstate. Loved it.
Age 30s, Drove a silver 997 Turbo S. Loved it.
Went to Porsche dealer to order a 911 now that I could afford it. Associate looked at my Vans and didn't take me seriously. I left Porsche.
Bought C63 AMG. Stumbled onto track days and tracked the heck out of it. Heavy car! Noticed a lot of Porsches at track and began to fall in love again.
Traded C63 on GT3 and lived happily ever after.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:13 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

At age 4 my Dad bought a 914. He had it from 1974 until 1985 when he bought a 911. Both were his daily drivers and we cared for them, drove them and kept them clean. He had the 911 until 1994 when he sold it. I always wanted one, but our family had never bought used cars and fresh out of college in 1993 couldn't afford a new one. After playing with an RX-7 and BMW 328is, I decided enough waiting and started looking for a few year old 993. After a few months got frustrated and ordered a 996. One day a beautiful 993 C4S was traded in locally and I saw it and fell in love (1999).

Original plan was was to keep it stock and drive it some, but I had a daily driver, so it could be babied. After joining the PCA I saw something about an Auto-X school, so signed up and had a great day. Made some good friends and after a season of that we decided to try the track. Back then there weren't as many track day options and Potomac PCA would sell out the year at the beginning, but we jumped in an event and the addiction took over. A group of us 993 guys worked through the ranks together to instructors and Club Racing. In 2007 decided to move to the 964 platform as it was better for club racing. Then after 4 or so years family started to take over, so I de-converted the car enough for street and DE with bolt in cage and the like, so enjoyed sharing the car with my Dad for 5 or so years.

We moved to FL and the 964 AC wasn't up to be able to drive the car enough and the prices got crazy, so decided it was time to sell. Took less then 1 hour after post in for sale and a fellow Rennlister bought it, so it is still in the family.

I've been out for 1.5 years and things have stabilized with the kids, jobs, and life in general, so I will be looking to pickup a 997.2 this fall for the next phase of my Porsche addiction.

It is a great hobby and has allowed me some great father son time with my Dad as he has also been a Porsche guy as he had a 997.1 while I had the track duty 964.

Viva Porsche.
-Skip

​​​​​​​
Old 05-28-2017, 12:00 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

My uncle had a 944 Turbo back in the day, and when he'd call over, I'd rush out to greet him (the car) with all the excitement a 10 year year old could muster.

Making it an even better experience, he'd take two of my neighbors too, so we all could share the experience. While blasting around the back roads, he'd look over and ask 'so you guys want to go fast now?'.

He was and still is quite the character.

I somewhat blocked Porsches out of my consciousness because I never thought I'd be able to afford one, never alone afford a 911. Now that I've owned two 911's and a 912, I am completely obsessed.

We are going to Stuttgart next month and seeing the factory and museum.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:38 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was always a car guy. Wasn't really into Porsches, but was mostly into Italian cars.

Over the years, I kept hearing that every car guy should own a 911 at some point. As I talked to friends who owned/had owned one, I began to appreciate it more and more.

Finally, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my Targa 4S. I've got to say, it's probably the best car I've ever owned.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

after avoiding it and getting an audi sports coupe and realizing I was extremely wrong in doing that.

Quick Reply: How did you become a Porsche person?