Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you become a Porsche person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

always liked Porsche for their racing heritage.

went to buy an M3, the dealer jerked me around, then I saw a slightly used 997 for the same money. bought it. I'm on Porsche #3 now

I'll be a Porsche guy for a long time....great cars, great customer service, great fan base. the caliber of "Porsche people" (i.e. the PCA/POC members, guys you meet at track days and races, etc) is extremely high; lots of friendly, smart, knowledgeable people.

I'd like to get a Ferrari someday, and a few other cars interest me, but this Porsche thing is pretty cool
Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always liked Porsches, for a while I avoided Porsches during the "Satin Jacket" phase in the late 70's early 80's although I was still a young kid I thought it was goofy old guys driving Porsches. I hate to admit it but to this day one of my favorite movies is "No Man's Land" with Charlie Sheen, I'll always remember that infamous line that goes "...Italian Trash..." lol. Anyway I think Porsches are refined cars that loved to be a driven daily. Whereas I had a Lotus Espirt Turbo S4 that was really a head turner but overheated and had all sorts of issues. Went to med school and drove a crappy Honda Accord, then an Audi A6 Quattro then had a M3 that was nice but it didn't really do it for me. I finally said enough is enough I'm getting myself a Porsches 911... So happy with the GTS. I think a Lambo and Ferrari are really nice but not meant to be driven, it seems a lot of those owners baby the heck out of their cars and own them for years with only 1000-2000 miles on the odometer. Whereas I plan on have lots of miles on my GTS. I really wanted a GT3 RS but with younger kids and no back seats they would miss out. Since I've gotten my GTS, the kids insist on taking it out on the weekends and we all have a great time.
So far so good!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

In 1970 I received a book called Automobile Quarterly that told the story of Porsche the man, his cars and racing. It had a special section on the John Wyer Gulf-Porsche 917's as the cars to beat.

I believe it was a Christmas present, I was about 8 at the time. That book started my infatuation with Porsche. I followed Porsche during its racing glory years in the 70’s and 80’s and it fueled my passion to get one as an adult.

As a child, I followed Ferrari with a similar passion, but never aspired to own one, as I just couldn’t see myself attracting the kind of attention F-cars get, let alone afford one.

A few years ago I finally got my Porsche 911, but have been a Porsche person in spirit since 1970. That book that sent me on this journey still sits in my library at home.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Strange but true, I was never in the market for a Porsche.

After owning many British sports cars over the years, I felt I had prepared myself for the ultimate in automobile frustration..... and began shopping for Ferraris.

For 14 years, (thats a long search) I sampled quite a few and almost bought twice!

Spring of 2011 I spotted a 997 cab that I really liked. I started a serious search and found a very nice 997 C2S. My experience.... the Porsche is the better car! I bought it and have no regrets. I'm hooked!

Ken Porsche newbie
Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As we were wandering Rennsport IV on Saturday with thousands of other Porsche lovers, my wife asked when I first got the bug to own a Porsche. I had to think briefly, but I knew the answer. There were two moments in time. The first was in 1965 at 15 when I brought home a brochure from the SF car show. The Porsche brochure was unlike the big glossy ones I was used to seeing for American cars, full of glamour shots and advertising hype. As I remember, it was a small narrow booklet with a picture of each model (912, 911, 911S) and a brief description. What was really different though, was that the booklet was full of technical specs, charts showing speeds in gears, and performance data. This, I thought, was a serious machine, not a bunch of hype. The seed was planted.
[...]
So when did you catch the Porsche bug? How did this great obsession start for you?
Just about then for me also. Except I was already in graduate school by then. And on military pay we couldn't afford one until I'd retired a couple of times and we started our own business. Then I bought Cindy an NSX to thank her and we couldn't afford two supercars so I didn't get my Porsche until next time. Uh... this time.

Gary
Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked 911's. I used to think that only a55hole5 drove one because it seemed that whenever I saw one, the driver was driving like an a55hole. So, I decided that I would own an M3 when the time came. The time finally came and my wife suggested that I should keep my mind open. She loved 911's but never forced me in that direction. So, I kept my mind open and I looked at all the options: M3, GTR, Gallardo, R8, Lotus Exige, V8 Vantage and finally the 911 C2S or GT3. One day at work, a co-worker and I decided to slack off and go check out the local P-car dealer. I fell in love the moment I stepped on the gas. All the other cars were eliminated in one way or another, maintenance intervals and costs, not special enough, no local dealer for warranty items, etc. And, now, I finally understand why 911 drivers are a55hole5 because I am one too. I chose the C2S because I wasn't going to be much of a track junkie and driving around in a GT3 would make me feel silly that way. I also am very impatient and when I decide I want something, I need it now. So, I didn't get all the options I want, but I'm still very happy in the end.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I grew up with Porsches all around me. When I was a teenager my neighbor rallied a 1600 Super and then a 356 Carrera and then a 911S, and so on. I knew then that someday I would have a 911. My desert journey was a long one but I have since owned Porsches. There is no substitute!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread Mike!!

Bit of a different story from me, guys. Much as I've always loved the simple beauty of the 911 and had a white Targa on my bedroom wall next to Charlie's Angels, owned M3s, MR2s and an XKR, I'd kinda lost touch by my early 40s with the GT/sports car vibe.

At around the same time, I went through a very serious crisis which led to me becoming horribly depressed. I struggled hard to get over the depression but it was leaving me trapped and isolated in the house. It was only slowly, and in the third year of my struggle, that I finally started to emerge from my shell.

One day, I realised with a huge sense of relief a) how nice it was to be out of the house, b) that I could actually face people again and c) in roaming further, how fat, wallowy and wasteful my Range Rover was to tool about in. As it happened I was driving past a Porsche garage and on a whim I just turned in and asked for a test drive. I tried a Cayman and it was so light and nimble and felt so free, yet connected to the road with its beautiful steering and precise gear change.

It seemed to symbolise the change in my mood from balck to white, heavy to light. I bought it there and then. And not to cheer myself up but as a reward for getting through an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (if I had one).

Ever since then, my Porsches (I'm on my third, a 911 GTS) have represented freedom and energy, pride in myself for overcoming my toughest challenge (to date), and becoming happy in my own skin. As a young man, you think you can buy these sensations. Later, you realise they are truly earned.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (07-17-2022)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

Ever since I was 12 I've been in love with the 911. I used to read my older brother's Car & Driver, Motor Trend and Road & Track magazines and the Porsche 911 stories always caught my eye. This was in the late 70s.

After I got my driver's license I would drive by people's houses where I knew they had a 911, hoping to catch a glimpse. One time my friends and I stopped by a house where the owner had a 930 turbo and a 928. We went up to the door and asked the owners if we could take some pictures of the cars. They were happy to oblige (I still can't believe I asked them to do this). They even let us sit in the driver's seat to have our picture taken.

One time I was cutting my grandfather's grass when one of his neighbor's drove up in a black 911. I was absolutely mesmerized by his car and I doubt I was even coherent talking to a guy who owned my dream car.

My first 911 was an '87 coupe. Owned it for 9 years and now own an '06 C2S. I am very lucky to be able to own my dream car.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1967 an uncle came back from Viet Nam and uncovered his new Green 912 - big brother called shotgun so I sat in the back. It was the sound of the engine and the view of the gauges that had me. I chose to ride in the back every time after that. Bought a 1968 911 in 1975 - my cousin actually owns that car today. Stepped off to do the get married and raise a family thing so it took 30 years before my "someday I'll own another" happened 4 yrs ago with an 04 996 C2. I am now awaiting delivery of a 04 996 C4S.

I kept a picture of my Polar White 1968 911 in the family room and I remember how my kids would saying "Dad, I betcha really miss that car hu" and I'd say "yes, very much, but you guys are my Porsche now".
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

When the Ruf twin turbo broke 200mph.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was imprinted pretty early on. My first car memory is being in the back "seat" of my parents '59 Roadster D.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

I came originally from BMW 2002s but was testing Aston Vantages one day and really liked the car but decided to test a 997 C2S as well. I got hooked. The engine in the rear, the simplicity of the interior, the handling etc... all create a package that is larger that the sum of it's parts. I love it. I really like the Porsche culture as well. So I am a relatively late Porsche person but here for the long run nevertheless. I may go back in years now too, looking for a more analog, mechanical ride. I just need to find a garage to use.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up with air-cooled VWs in the family and my first driver was a VW squareback. I am pretty sure the first car I drove was my brother's '63 356C coupe. I then was hooked and always wanted to own a 911 from my early teen years on. Restoring MG roadsters never quenched my thirst for Porsche. The dream finally came true when I picked up a left-over 2009 S coupe in early 2010 at the age of 52. The brother that owned that 356C now drives a Prius . . . WTH!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

x-post

I always admired the Porsche but was an american muscle car guy (69 Charger RT. 396 Chevelles, 327 Nova, etc. And then I discovered sportscars via 73 240Z and 1st generation Mazda RX7s. Started going German with BMWs (still have that passion), a few Audis, Mercedes and never thought about owning a Porsche.

One late friday afternoon, a partner of mine walked into my office and said that he just traded in his 944 Turbo for a 928 GT and asked if I wanted to take a ride from our Manhattan offices to my home in NJ. The garage attendent brought the car to us and my partner said, why don't you drive it to NJ. Hmmm. Not a bad idea.

So here I am in a new 928GT navigating the Lincoln Tunnel merge (need to be a bit bold but hard to do with a new Porsche, let alone not yours) and realized that the 928 is wide. I noticed the incredible power as we exited the Tunnel onto the helix to the NJ Turnpike. This 928Gt pulled like a freight train.

I asked my partner how he compared the 928 to his former 944 Turbo. He said he is on the fence as to which one is better. Each had specific qualities and very different. After some Porsche talk, he mentioned that he returned the 944 Turbo 4 months early on his lease and paid off the remaining payments. I asked him WHY did he not speak to me as I would have taken over the lease.

With a few calls to the dealer (Jack Daniels) we were able to retrieve the car (4 months left on the lease) and I had a beautiful red 944 Turbo in my garage. This became my first Porsche that began my delightful journey. So, from 944 Turbos, to 86 Carerra, to 993s and 997. When I picked up a new Corvette C6 between the 993 and 997, I realized how much more I enjoyed the driving experience of a Porsche.

My wife, who helped me pick up the 997 in Connecticut, called me (hands fee of course) while we were driving back and asked about my intiial impressions. My response was that it was great to be back.

Mark

Quick Reply: How did you become a Porsche person?