Sponsored by:

Replacing a good tire?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Replacing a good tire?!

I have an 05 C2S. Now 17.5 K on the clock. I replaced the back OEM tires, Pirelli P Zeros at about 14K I think. The front tires still look great with a lot of wear, but now are about 6 yrs from mnftr date. Would you replace these just b/c of time? I am considering starting to do a few DE's, so go easy on the browbeating for not driving it hard enough. I am concerned they won't hold up under this strain.
Jim
Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

No expert but in 356 circles which I participate in (where tires may look almost new 10-20 years after manufacture) it seems to be the rule that after about 5 years, tires are degrading and may not be safe. So if you are planning DE's it might be a good idea to stay on the safe side and replace them.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I have an 05 C2S. Now 17.5 K on the clock. I replaced the back OEM tires, Pirelli P Zeros at about 14K I think. The front tires still look great with a lot of wear, but now are about 6 yrs from mnftr date. Would you replace these just b/c of time? I am considering starting to do a few DE's, so go easy on the browbeating for not driving it hard enough. I am concerned they won't hold up under this strain.
Jim
Yes, I'd replace the front tires. They're due, or nearly due (close enough anyhow) to being replaced due to their age. IIRC Porsche claims that the tires for these cars are due to be replaced on time alone after 6 years and you report that the tires are about 6 years old.

The tipping point to change the tires out now I think arises from the fact you are considering participating in DE's which of course places a bigger strain on the tires. You do not want to find out the hard way the tires are not up to the task.

The other thing to consider is the front tires due to their age and usage will suffer more from the heat cycling and they're rate of degradation will be faster than the rear tires.

The front tires already have had 14K mile of this. My experience with Pirelli tires on my Boxster compared to other brands of tires (Michelin on the Boxster and Continental and Bridgestone on the Turbo) is the Pirelli tires appear to suffer more from heat cycling than other brands of tires. As a result the Pirelli tires get harder (and noisier) as a result given the same number of miles.

The harder tires grip less and you may find the car a bit of an odd handler because of this.

With both front and rear tires new when you enter the DE's the front and rear of the car are on equal footing, as it were.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 166 Posts

Good thoughts, guys. Thank you. Its just so hard to pull the trigger on new ones when they look great from the sidewalls and tread, oh and they cost so much too. Oh well.
Jim

Quick Reply: Replacing a good tire?!