Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
That's the real reason.

Basically this preference reflects an affectation.

For street applications the buttons are more intuitive and ergonomic. The paddles do have the advantage for people who are concieted much like the nonsensical center lock wheels for street use.
Am amazed to read that there are people out there that prefer the std steeringwheel with buttons. I agree that one might get more accustomed after long-time ownership but calling them more intuitive and ergonomic is a bit far fetched in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonblackcab
I love the buttons. I like the ability to up shift and down shift using one hand.
So what do you do with the other hand...?

The paddles do make sense if you go on a spirited drive, otherwise I´d leave the gearbox in automatic mode. Especially with sport and sport+ settings the gearchanges are pretty appropriate for everyday driving so I do not see the need to change gears manually unless you are driving closer to the limit.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Keep in mind that the buttons were the only method when PDK first came out. In a short time, feedback from owners and journalists forced Porsche to design and offer the paddle system as an option.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

I have paddles in my pdk car. I never tried the buttons. That being said, the buttons seem more intuitive to me. To me there isn't anything intuitive of pulling a left paddle to upshift and a right paddle to downshift (or is it the other way around). Certainly you can train yourself to use them correctly, but that doesn't mean it's intuitive.

On the other hand. Pushing forward to go faster and pulling back to slow down... that makes some sense.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have paddles (in all places) on the Benz. Of course this is a luxo-cruiser and not a sports car but I can get an idea of what it's like to shift with them nevertheless. And I'm still puzzled as to why anybody would choose paddles over buttons. Even those who track their cars drive them for the most part (95+%) on the street. Granted that buttons are easier to accidentally deploy and I've done that on many occasions myself.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Buttons and paddles, paddles and buttons, buttons and paddles, forever controversial...

Porsche usually goes its own way and the redundant buttons are Porsche's invention and a great one it is. Like any interface it takes getting used to. If one is used to the 'me-too' paddle interface this one is different, but so what? I never upshift unintentionally - it has all to do with proper 9-3 hand holding and light touch.

Paddles are fashionable, but the redundant use of the buttons is unique. I have long been a proponent of the PDK redundant buttons. I have however considered the OEM paddle wheel but given its tradeoffs [lack of redundancy, L/R confusion in tight turns (see note below), and proximity to control stalks] I decided the Porsche way is better for me.

Note: Those who say no shifting during turns... you do not know what you are missing with PDK.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The earliest version of semi-auto was fitted by John Barnes in the Ferrari F1 car during the late eighties. It was fitted with paddles. It wasn't a fashion statement. The paddles were determined to be the best ergonomic design for the world's best drivers. Pushbuttons was Porsche’s way of saying: “we aint copying Ferrari”. Period.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

And I'm still puzzled as to why anybody would choose paddles over buttons. Even those who track their cars drive them for the most part (95+%) on the street. Granted that buttons are easier to accidentally deploy and I've done that on many occasions myself.
You've answered your own question. Also, your earlier assertion that people choose the paddles because of looks is based on what? For me, the paddles are easier to use, both on the track and on the street, and are consistent with the paddle shifters in my wife's Audi DSG so I don't have to recalibrate going from one car to the other. I like the way they look, but that had nothing to do with my decision; just a side benefit. I had to give up steering wheel controls to get the paddles, but it was worth it.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-17-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had both paddles and buttons.

My first PDK was my '09 C2S with buttons. As a street car I was A-OK with the buttons. My previous Audi S4 had paddles but I became accustomed to the C2S buttons very quickly. I liked them a lot - particularly the ability to shift in either direction with one hand.

However, a year into my C2S ownership I started to track the car. I discovered what others have mentioned about the fleshy part at the base of the thumb causing an inadvertent upshift. That only happens when the wheel is cranked over - i.e. in the middle of a turn - and of course that's the WORST time for a sudden upshift. I realized that my PSDS instructors held their thumb vertically on the steering wheel instead of hooking it around the rim of the wheel. When I tried it - voila! No more inadvertent upshifts.

So - fast forward. I now have a GTS PDK, which came with the paddles. But I'm still holding the wheel as if it had buttons, because my other car - my Panamera - still has the buttons.

If you track and have the buttons, you really need to learn to hold the wheel (still at 3 and 9) just a little bit differently. If you don't track then I actually prefer the buttons.

YMMV.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

^^^that was precisely my point that a previous poster seemed to misunderstand. 1) the buttons are more practical and intuitive for street use 2) the paddles are better for track use (or so they say and I am willing to concede) 3) even those who track their car spend the overwhelming part of their driving time off the track and 4) the disadvantage of a rare "inadvertant" shift on the street is of no consequence.

In the end I really think that the preference for paddles is based largely on conciet. That the advantage they confer for track use is nullified when the car is driven 99% on the street.

You're not a race car driver and this isn't an F1 car and having the paddles does not make you one. Porche had the correct ergonomic solution in the first place when they designed the buttons. They gave in and surrendered to the marketplace. Fine. Just keep that crap out of my car (the Benz has it as standard issue unfortunately).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^that was precisely my point that a previous poster seemed to misunderstand. 1) the buttons are more practical and intuitive for street use.
I didn't misunderstand your point at all. I simply disagree with it. AFAIC, your argument falls apart with point #1. The fact that you find the buttons more practical and intuitive for street use is fine, but it doesn't mean that I find them so, or even that they are. It's just your opinion.

Your belief that the choice of paddles is based "on an affectation" or "largely on conceit" is also clearly an opinion, but in this case is not based on any factual evidence whatsoever.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I have buttons and I really like them. Can change up or down with either hand. I don't experience accidental shifts. They are very ergonomic ally designed at least AFAIK. Paddles look nicer but think I prefer the buttons.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
CrazyMD
Track Day

I've been reading these forums for quite some time in anticipation of the time that I would purchase a new 911 Turbo. I found the car I was looking for and the vehicle turned out to be very sentimental to me. If you read the following article you will understand why:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-life/1811295/

After taking delivery of the car, I found the PDK paddleshift system to be reverse of whats normal for me and difficult to drive. So I started looking on the internet for options.

I came upon the Techart PDK paddle's. After calling Techart and talking with someone named Florian, he sold me on the $900 upgrade kit.

I received my kit and on sunday began the installation. Midway during the install (After my steering wheel is off the car and taken apart) I noticed that the plastic paddles have internal cracks in them. I should have stopped at this point seeing the poor quality of the kit. I put a little superglue on the inside of the paddle's and continued with the install.

For $900, the kit consists of 4 pieces of plastic...maybe valued at $5, manufactured and molded in china. 2 pieces are the paddles and 2 plastic pieces cover the front of the steering wheel where the PDK push button used to be. After everything was complete, I had the steering wheel back on the car, I completed the last step which was snapping the 2 PDK button covers in place. Not to my surprise, the fit and quality of the buttons was very poor. They do not fit into place correctly, it seems that the molding is a bit off. Infact when I pull the left paddle, the plastic cover moves quite a bit. Definitely not right.

So I immediately email Techart indicating that the installation went well, however one of the plastic covers molding doesnt seem to fit right and I'd like to swap that out for another one that would possibly fit better. The response I get from this moron is to disassemble the entire kit, return it to them and they will give me another kit. I tell him that it took 3 hours to install the kit. Why would I take everything off when all you need to do is exchange out a $1 plastic cover piece for me which is the last step in the instructions. Again I received the same idiotic response including that I should have had them professionally installed. I responded that had I paid a shop to do the install and you tell me to take everything apart to swap out a small piece they would be responsible for all my costs incurred. I could tell that dealing with this company is not worth anymore of my time.

So the bottom line, if you are looking at upgrading your PDK paddles I would recommend AVOIDING using Techart. Their quality control is horrible, their parts do not fit right, and their customer service is worse than the crappy chinese manufacturing used to make their parts.

I called American express today, opened a dispute on the charge. I'll be posting some pictures and a youtube video of the poor quality of their product. I'll be taking the entire kit off my car and putting it back to stock or just buying the Factory Porsche S steering wheel that has the paddles built in.
The following users liked this post:
Sub (03-07-2021)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Granted that buttons are easier to accidentally deploy and I've done that on many occasions myself.
Thank you for providing the only rationale anyone needs to deduct that the buttons are inherently flawed.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

For me it took some time to drive with the buttons. But after a few weeks it feels comfortable.

Quick Reply: Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?