OIL CONSUMPTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Whatever you wanna call it, it is common only in .2 cars and extremely rare in .1, so if you wanna spin it as "more common in .2 than .1", that's fine by me.

The FACT is that DFI engine consume more oil and in some cases EXTREME amount of oil, which to me, grounds for recall, but Porsche has covered themselves with their *within norm consumption* statement.

I am actually more and more disappointed in Porsche corp as a whole, reading ALL the excuses they've used to deny warranty claims, it's quite ridicolous for a company selling $100K+ cars!
That's a broad statement. The majority of DI cars don't burn very much if at all. In 3K miles my DI engine hasn't required any oil, it still shows that it's topped up.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's a broad statement. The majority of DI cars don't burn very much if at all. In 3K miles my DI engine hasn't required any oil, it still shows that it's topped up.
Some seem to have an agenda with DFI engines... the fact is boxer engines can use oil. They all have, from the 901 to the 997.2, and yes, including the 997.1 M96/M97 engines with the same oil usage stats. Of course, the 997.1 has other potential issues of its own, but that is an all other thread.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Of course, the 997.1 has other potential issues of its own, but that is an all other thread.
Absolutely! and the same attitude taken by Porsche not covering blown engines of the old IMS design, by finding ANY excuse they can!

Honestly, when it's time to change in 2-3yrs, I will VERY CAREFULY look at my choices and Porsche may not be on the top of the list by then...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The Fact remains, ".2 cars in general consume more oil than .1, and in some cases, extreme amount of oil", due to whatever design flaw or manufacturing flaw and Porsche has been completely looking the other way (even at very high consumption), leaving customers who paid $100K+ for a car to fend for themselves. They've done the same for earlier IMS design flaw ('05 cars), and it's becoming a pattern at the corporate level!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
The Fact remains, ".2 cars in general consume more oil than .1, and in some cases, extreme amount of oil", due to whatever design flaw or manufacturing flaw and Porsche has been completely looking the other way (even at very high consumption), leaving customers who paid $100K+ for a car to fend for themselves. They've done the same for earlier IMS design flaw ('05 cars), and it's becoming a pattern at the corporate level!
not sure about this statement
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

12,000 miles....2010 C4S Cab........no oil! I change it every 5,000 miles.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

DI has nothing to do with oil consumption. There is a slightly higher compression ratio but this cannot be a real factor as Diesels have DI and higher compression ratios and do not have this issue.

Any change in oil consumption with a 997.2 is likely to be a result of different valve seals ( not aware of a major change), crankcase ventilation system ( possible) or cylinder surface. With the latter, Porsche did go to a different cylinder surface treatment for the 997.2 cars. If there is a significant change in oil consumption from one design to the other, this is likely the cause.

DI does bring with it a number of reliability issues, though. I know, as I have a BMW 535 with DI. I would much rather have a non - DI engine with a few less HP, a few less mpg and much better reliability. Yeah, my 2008 has an IM but I am not worried at all about it as the failure rate is very low overall and even lower with the later 997.1 models. I have never had to add oil to my car. It has only 8K miles and consumed about a half quart in the first 2000 miles.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

My DFi experience: 15,000 miles on my C4S ... So far I quart added in between annual oil changes. 10,000 miles on my Cayenne S ... Not even half a quart. I drive very little in stop and go traffic, try to avoid short trips, treat a cold engine with respect and mostly drive with the shift lever to the right. I would be curious to know if these high oil burners spend most of the time doing short commutes and gridlock traffic.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
dsanto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09 was using about 1 qt every 650 miles and seems to be slowing down at 9500 miles. Try checking the oil after letting the car sit about 10 minutes after driving, then start it up and check, I always get a higher reading this way and it's how the dealers check when evaluating oil consumption. Still uses too much in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just adding another data point to the list...

For the first and second 10k intervals, my C4S took about 1.5 quarts over 10k miles. Over time, that has slowed down. For the last two 10k intervals (40-50 and 50-60), it took a half quart just before it went in for the 10k service. It goes in Thursday for the 60k. At about 58k, I put in 1/2 quart and it's still at 3 bars...

Scott
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
zhecks
Intermediate

Default I was told it was normal

When I picked up my 09 C2 (DI), the salesman told me that "this car loves oil". 700 miles per quart on average. Pretty much very 700 miles, I put a quart in. After 13,000 miles on the car, the consumption suddenly dropped. I have 2000 miles on it now and it is still at the top. Maybe it takes time to break in???
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
avader906
Instructor

note that high oil consumption in itself (excluding external factors such as leaks) could be a desired design feature vs expensive basic maintenance. 997 dfi doesnt have one of F1 engines that consume north of 5L per race.... but the engine has clearances to compensate for thermal variation of components expected in various loads and different temperatures vs oil viscosity. Lugging the engine in start/stop traffic or gunning it above 5k rpm would show similar high consumption (with engine lugging being much worse of an abuse...). any high performance car (HP per L per cylinder) would show similar maintenance tradeoffs.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Neither the DFI engine in my Carrera or Cayenne use oil. I have 3K miles on the Cayenne and have yet to add any oil since new; the gauge still reads max. The Carrera has taken less than 1/2 a quart total between changes since new. I echo the comments of Tim, Tony, Amar, and others. To state catagorically that DFI engines commonly use oil, without anything other than isolated anecdotal reports as evidence, isn't useful.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
IIRC its actually 1.6L per 1000KM, or 1 quart per 367 miles.

His 650 miiles per quart is in Porsche's acceptable range, but not in my own personal acceptable range.
Porsche must have revised the oil consumption numbers of the newer engines then.

Maybe the word that the newer engines have low tension rings (to cut internal engine friction) is true?

I agree with you. Even if the acceptable range is 1 quart per 600 miles that would not be acceptable to me but unless the engine exhibits some other symptom I'm not sure what one could do.

It is in the 'fine print' so to speak. No one can know beforehand whether his new car's engine is going to be an 'oil burner' until after he buys the car and drives it some. By then, though, it is probably too late.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by zhecks
When I picked up my 09 C2 (DI), the salesman told me that "this car loves oil". 700 miles per quart on average. Pretty much very 700 miles, I put a quart in. After 13,000 miles on the car, the consumption suddenly dropped. I have 2000 miles on it now and it is still at the top. Maybe it takes time to break in???
It is possible. Lab and field tests have found an engine continues to 'break in' for sometimes thousands of miles after the nominal break in period is long past.

I have talked to some Porsche techs about high levels of oil consumption (Cayenne owners mainly complaining) and the techs tell me the word back from PCNA or the factory was the owners needed to drive their vehicles harder.

Now this doesn't mean the owner needs to get all crazy with the vehicle but the engine needs to be pushed some, needs to be asked to do some work, and 'work' means the engine needs to be asked to deliver some torque.

While the break in guidelines caution against high (>4K IIRC) rpms and prolonged idling or subjecting the engine to cruising at a fixed speed for extended periods of time this doesn't mean that as long as the engine is warmed up it can't be called upon to provide a hard acceleration every once in a while.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: OIL CONSUMPTION