Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orttauq
One Word: Barrier

Sales said go to Service. Service wanted $95/hr to "look at it"

Yes, they sold the car-Yes, they have serviced it since new.

This is the dealer that tried to charge me $5.50/ea for screws for the wheel liners.
Ouch. Now that is lame of them.

So if someone who purchased a car from them comes in and says: "hey, can you show me again how I control my DRLs?" They are requesting $95/hr to answer that question? That would be nuts.

At a minimum the dealer should be able to tell you, for free:
  1. If your model car came with DRLs
  2. How you turn the DRLs on.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Are these attorneys?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
orttauq
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Ouch. Now that is lame of them.

So if someone who purchased a car from them comes in and says: "hey, can you show me again how I control my DRLs?" They are requesting $95/hr to answer that question? That would be nuts.

At a minimum the dealer should be able to tell you, for free:
  1. If your model car came with DRLs
  2. How you turn the DRLs on.
Sales did tell me how to control them via PCM (already knew this-IRTFM)
When they did not come on they sent me to service.

Thanks everyone for your input but at this point I just flip the headlight switch-like someone here said "becomes habit"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM
orttauq
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Are these attorneys?
No, just the only Porsche dealer in a very Microsoft (money) influenced area.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orttauq
Sales did tell me how to control them via PCM (already knew this-IRTFM)
When they did not come on they sent me to service.

Thanks everyone for your input but at this point I just flip the headlight switch-like someone here said "becomes habit"
Ok, so here's what I did... I turned DRL ON and then OFF on my car via PCM, it did NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Meaning my DRL kept working as before... so, not sure how it was set to DRL ON, but it looks like in some cases the PCM doesn't toggle it on and off.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Ok, so here's what I did... I turned DRL ON and then OFF on my car via PCM, it did NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Meaning my DRL kept working as before... so, not sure how it was set to DRL ON, but it looks like in some cases the PCM doesn't toggle it on and off.
Maybe it's a "Canadian thing" - I thought DRL's were mandated in Canada so maybe you can't shut them off??
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That could be.. .I can imagine a PIWIS set mode that forces it to be on or off regardless of what the PCM custom setting is set to... so maybe there is an override that needs to be cleared.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 PM
purrybonker
Pro

In Canada there is no PCM control over DRLs as jhbrennan suggests.

Even if you have a US car, the exporting or importing dealer will change the PIWIS setting (as suggested by Minok) and disable the PCM DRL option.

This is a 15 second fix if the tech knows where to look. PCM control can easily be reinstated.

I use my car for movie work once in a while and the DRL - off option is sometimes needed. When my car is unemployed I generally leave the DRLs on.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
In Canada there is no PCM control over DRLs as jhbrennan suggests.

Even if you have a US car, the exporting or importing dealer will change the PIWIS setting (as suggested by Minok) and disable the PCM DRL option.

This is a 15 second fix if the tech knows where to look. PCM control can easily be reinstated.

I use my car for movie work once in a while and the DRL - off option is sometimes needed. When my car is unemployed I generally leave the DRLs on.
Thanks, my car's imported and DRL was enabled and I do have the option in PCM. albeit, it doesn't do anything now?!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Granted, this discussion has been about the 997.1 and my comments may not help you. As my Aerokit SY GTS already attracts enough attention, I really wanted to turn off the DRLs. (Plus I have never favored them.) Despite following the PCM Manual instructions, I was unable to find this functionality in the PCM, which we should be able to do in the USA. However, the Set feature in the OBC has this function. In the 997.2 (at least), scoll down to the last Set feature (Lights) and you can toggle DRLs on/off. HTH with 997.1s. too.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Thanks, my car's imported and DRL was enabled and I do have the option in PCM. albeit, it doesn't do anything now?!
Correct - it's useless.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TxBob74
Granted, this discussion has been about the 997.1 and my comments may not help you. As my Aerokit SY GTS already attracts enough attention, I really wanted to turn off the DRLs. (Plus I have never favored them.) Despite following the PCM Manual instructions, I was unable to find this functionality in the PCM, which we should be able to do in the USA. However, the Set feature in the OBC has this function. In the 997.2 (at least), scoll down to the last Set feature (Lights) and you can toggle DRLs on/off. HTH with 997.1s. too.
997.1 OBC doesn't have that functionality.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 AM
oronymo
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Does this only work if you have Sport Chrono?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

On my ‘06 997s imported from the US, I had the selling dealership turn on the DLRs. I was given the choice of headlights or fog lights. As I recall, I was told that that it required both a PIWIS change together with a physical change. This all changed in ‘07 or ‘08 to strictly software controlled thru Durametric, etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

As said above, the DRL in the 997.1 only use the headlights. There is a hack somewhere on here on how to use the fogs as DRLs.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights