997.2 running lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
I understand your logic. However, my 997 is black. At dawn/dusk it is hard to see. Driving with only parking lights on (which are on when headlights are switched on anyway) allows others to see a small, black vehicle when conditions do not require headlights but optics are poor
Wouldn't your DRLs provide the added visibility that you seek when the headlights are off? You could also run with the headlight switch in the first position, making your car much easier to see as mentioned below.

I live in the mountains, and we regularly see dense fog. I used the fog lights on my 997.1 on a regular basis. I was considering changing the bulbs in the fog lamps to a yellow color, which is far more effective for enhancing visibility than a white or bluish color. It always makes me cringe when people want their fog lights to match their headlights; they are unclear on the concept of fog lights.

Many European car manufacturers refer to the small, secondary lights on the front of the car as "city lights" or "running lights" as opposed to parking lights. The intended use for these lights is to provide illumination and allow others to see your car when driving in a well-lit, urban area at night. In these situations, full headlights are considered a nuisance and they are not necessary.

When parking on a dark, narrow street, the parking lights can be illuminated on the outboard side of the car using the light switch and the turn signal stalk. In this mode, the lights closest to the curb are not illuminated, and the lights closest to traffic are illuminated.

Last edited by Dennis C; 05-28-2017 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (11-11-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 04:06 AM
axl886
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Not a dumb question and welcome! The answer is no. In fact, the 6 LED daytime running lights and the 1 LED "position light with light guide" (Porsche's description) are two seperate elements in the light cluster. Note that the 6 bright LED's come on when you start the car (assuming DRL has been chosen in the menu). However, when you switch on the main or parking lights they go out completely (not just go dim), and the narrow position light above them comes on instead.
Help! My driver's side (RHD) DRL is suddenly not illuminating (EDIT:actually illuminating extremely dimly), but the same side "position light" works per normal when the parking lights or dipped beams are on.

Before taking it to my indy, any suggestions? Or am I faced with a $ replacement cost? (Googled and p/n should be 997631108402)

Thanks...

Last edited by axl886; 11-10-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:49 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
What I liked about the fog lamps on my 911SC is that I could position them to point well away from straight ahead. Essentially, they illuminated the sides and made it much easier/safer when turning. Unfortunately, my 997 doesn't have the dynamic lighting system on current Porsches. My only hope is to win the 991 GTS lottery
another vote for missing the 911SC fog lights. I also turned them to the sides as it made it easier to turn into my cul-de-sac. Also easier to see the right side of the road on dark nights
Old 11-14-2022, 08:45 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by axl886
Help! My driver's side (RHD) DRL is suddenly not illuminating (EDIT:actually illuminating extremely dimly), but the same side "position light" works per normal when the parking lights or dipped beams are on.

Before taking it to my indy, any suggestions? Or am I faced with a $ replacement cost? (Googled and p/n should be 997631108402)

Thanks...
I have a similar issue, just the center strip led of my driver's position light is not working. Unfortunately on the 997.2 you have to remove the front bumper in order to replace anything on those lights, even if it's just a simple bulb.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:37 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing on my new to me 2010 ….. DRL on driver’s side dead, but turn signal and above mentioned position light both work. Frustrated that it can only be accessed after bumper cover removal. I guess they think the LEDs will be so reliable that they won’t need to be touched….. continuing to search for info.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:45 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avenger6
Same thing on my new to me 2010 ….. DRL on driver’s side dead, but turn signal and above mentioned position light both work. Frustrated that it can only be accessed after bumper cover removal. I guess they think the LEDs will be so reliable that they won’t need to be touched….. continuing to search for info.
One thing to note, there are 2 failure points for that led strip. The led module for that strip which is the square looking piece on the back corner of the fog light, and then secondly whatever the electronics are inside the fog light to turn it on. On my light, that led module is actually working properly. I tested it by simply moving the module to the other fog light and it worked, so the led bulb did not fail. I was hoping it was just the led module because it's a cheap $30 piece.

Unfortunately in my case it was the electronics inside the light that failed and does not signal the module to turn on. So I have to replace the entire fog light assembly which is a ton more $.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
another vote for missing the 911SC fog lights. I also turned them to the sides as it made it easier to turn into my cul-de-sac. Also easier to see the right side of the road on dark nights
Years ago when I ran a turbocharged 911SC I truly needed long range headlights. I did some novel wiring. I had an extra set of fog light lenses—the usual fluted fog light lenses on the Bosch lamps, and a set of clear true European driving lenses. During foggy times of the year I can the fluted lenses, and a dashboard switch had them running only when the low beans of my H1s were activated. In non-fog times, I substituted the driving lenses on the same Bosch fog lens housings, but flipped a switch so that they would go on when the highs were put on.

The 997 headlights have evolved away from DLs.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:57 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhern213
One thing to note, there are 2 failure points for that led strip. The led module for that strip which is the square looking piece on the back corner of the fog light, and then secondly whatever the electronics are inside the fog light to turn it on. On my light, that led module is actually working properly. I tested it by simply moving the module to the other fog light and it worked, so the led bulb did not fail. I was hoping it was just the led module because it's a cheap $30 piece.

Unfortunately in my case it was the electronics inside the light that failed and does not signal the module to turn on. So I have to replace the entire fog light assembly which is a ton more $.

So the module is connected to the car/wiring/plug? It isn't clear since you say that when you moved the module, the light worked.....
Old 01-20-2023, 12:58 AM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avenger6
So the module is connected to the car/wiring/plug? It isn't clear since you say that when you moved the module, the light worked.....
See below, that's the led bulb module for the center strip, it's screwed into the back of the fog light. You see the connection point at the top, the connector that plugs in there comes from inside the fog light, I just swapped it to the other fog light and it worked. So something of the wiring from inside the fog light is what failed on mine.

Last edited by Rhern213; 01-20-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:10 PM
mmeccam
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhern213
I have a similar issue, just the center strip led of my driver's position light is not working. Unfortunately on the 997.2 you have to remove the front bumper in order to replace anything on those lights, even if it's just a simple bulb.
center strip not working on mine either… did you have to replace the whole light?
Old 07-22-2023, 02:51 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmeccam
center strip not working on mine either… did you have to replace the whole light?
Yes I had to replace the whole fog light. The LEDs were working fine so there was something else that got damaged internally that wasn't turning them on.

Quick Reply: 997.2 running lights