Sponsored by:

Aaack ... scraped my Carbon !

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aaack ... scraped my Carbon !

Hi all.. need a tip on how to repair.. my rear Carbon dufuser got "nicely" scarped while reversing out of a driveway.. I was going slowly too..

anyway.. I need to remove the loose pieces(sharp little buggers.. cuts real nice) and sand down the carbon down to a smooth finish..

Can anyone recommend the type of sand paper I would need to smooth out the carbon.. and what can I use to coat for finish ?.. is there some epoxy coating I can use .. ??

thanks !

Matt
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need a UV resistant clear coating. Can recall the name atm. It think Dow makes it.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need a UV resistant clear coating. Cant recall the name atm. It think Dow makes it.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

it depends on how deep it is. Overall you should sand it untill all the scrape mark is gone. Use a sanding block and 400 wet. Then if possible go over it with 600 wet. Then clear coat it. Origionally it has acrylic urethane clear coat. Doesnt matter which brand, they are all pretty much the same. You may be able to find a simular product in a spray can at the auto paint store.
It wont be a perfect job, it may conseal it fairly enough.
If you get down into the carbon it is going to show even more. If you want it all done perfectly, you better go to a body shop and have them do it.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

there is a spary can product called blending clear, it is not for this purpose but I have used it on various spots and it would probibly work well enough. I think it is RM product, you can find it at auto paint stores

Quick Reply: Aaack ... scraped my Carbon !