Sponsored by:

Upgrading brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Upgrading brakes

Dumb question but got a 997.1 base carrera, thinking of upgrading to bigger red calipers turbo brakes?

Any issues? I'll wait for my existing pads to wear out and then buy new rotors, new pads and install the red calipers on at the same time.

PS... getting my hands on a set of front red turbo calipers for good price.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

as an owner of 997.1 base car i can say - it is not needed. spend your money instead on gt2 brake ducts
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7brakeupgrades
then put in PFC01 brake pads. you can optionally buy K2 caliper paint kit and paint them red - works all the same.

spend your brakes budget on GT LSD instead. that will do major difference on a track and at $4K total price it sorf of same as brakes/uprights upgrade.

also, if you do not have LN eng. IMS retrofit upgrade installed and your IMS is upgrdable - do that.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

^^ hmm.. sounds like a good idea.. will definitely consider
Old 09-28-2011, 04:02 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

on all tracks i drove so far i never exceeded amount of available braking force in calipers compared to available tire/pavement traction, on 275/335 r-comp tires. all beef against C2 calipers is that rear ones are kinda small and some folks overheat them on a track. if they do not use proper air ducts to cool them down.
plus, all in all much better strategy is to use less brakes and more throttle anyway.

what you need is of course fresh brake liquid - if you are in the car with started engine, not drivinng and your sudden full force (no jokes) slam on a brake pedal with increasing force makes pedal go all the way to the floor - it is not calipers, it is bad liquid or may be something else. pedal must be very firm when you press it and have no issues with locking wheels to the limit of engaging abs if pressed hard.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

get stainless steel lines and a fluid flush (and new rotors and pads if they are ready)
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are yours red? Red does look nice. if its a good deal, why not. If your doing the whole thing might as well put in SS lines.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

read somewhere that stainless lines are really more cosmetic than anything else...
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
read somewhere that stainless lines are really more cosmetic than anything else...
never put SS lines on a street car - they crack from street vibration. it is racing part only for track only cars. all stock lines have same steel mesh cores and you do not need to do anything with stock parts there.

you can and should replace stock drilled rotors with slotted rotors (gyrodisk) if you want, put on track pads (pagids, PFC) - leave calipers alone.

if you start messing up with brakes - go cup car route - cup car master cylinder, cup car calipers, etc. anyway like i said before - it is not needed unless you know why you need it. but imho anybody who outruns base 997 car brakes on a track should stop tracking this base car anyway and move up to cup or gt3 rs as no matter how you try you cannot build up your base car into a cup car.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

what i forgot to say and what is actually kinda critical - on a base car major issue is a heat dissipation so even if you do have cup car air ducts - you need always check how much meat do you still have on your pads. GT3 car may be OK with running PFC pads all the way down to 10% thickness, on a base car you need to replace pads as they reach 50%. plus pagid yellow pads do not work well at all after they are more than 50% worn anyway, so it is a good rule of thumb of when to put on new pads set.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Lots of good suggestiong.. now winter is coming.. I can jack the car up and start doing some DIYs.. aka painting the calipers since it sounds like I am keeping them
Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the subject of brake ducts, is there anything for the rear brakes? I have an 11 GTS with the centerlocks and have noticed that the front wheels get quite a bit of brake dust but not much dirt. The rear rims actually get a deposit of sand like material in the lip just inside the face of the rim. I think the front ducts actually help keep the rims cleaner in addition to cooler. Is there a duct for the rear?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

duct for a rear is a pain topic. i ended up getting gt3 cheap ducts and cutting them to make them fit.

there are special ducts from a turbo car that do fit properly but i could not find them anywhere. rare item, i guess. problem with rear is that you need to get under those plastic plates that cover car`s bottom or you get no airflow at all there. shop around, may be now itis less difficult to find proper rear ducts than it used to be.

here is what i had saved in my links folder for this:L

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...nstalled/page2
Old 09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

here it is.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...7GT3DUCTS.html

not very cheap, i have to say. they did not have it before.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Are you trying to upgrade for track or stree? The Turbo brakes definitely feel better and brake better.

Ducts definitely help with fade but NOT with brake feel.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:58 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probably never track the car. I was just looking for a way to make the wheels a little more self cleaning. If you ever look at the GTS centerlock wheel, there is a ring around the inside of the rim that is recessed a little and on the rears it collects grit that is like very fine sand. This stuff is abrasive and does scratch the wheels if you rub it at all like when cleaning. The front wheels don't collect this sand at all, so I am just guessing that is because of the ducts up front.
I know rear brakes don't really need ducts unless really tracking the car hard. My need is just for a way to preserve the paint on the rims.

Quick Reply: Upgrading brakes